New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    What would you choose? This wouldnt be a daily driver. More like a sunday car or a car you would bring to places that an SUV is too much of a hassle to park. Driving fun would be paramount. Usable speed is also nice. Practicality is not a consideration.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Subaru WRX STi

Driving fun - check
    Compact size - check
    Usable Speed - check

However if you need one that will also be a good daily driver, I'd go with the base WRX. If I want a classy ride but can go toe-to-toe with such choices in terms of performance and price, I'd go with the Lexus IS350F.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    What would you choose? This wouldnt be a daily driver. More like a sunday car or a car you would bring to places that an SUV is too much of a hassle to park. Driving fun would be paramount. Usable speed is also nice. Practicality is not a consideration.

Manual, or automatic? Don't recall if the STI is available in AT yet (and I hope you're not considering the 5AT... blech) but everything else is.

MINI, best steering, great handling. Kind of meh on the power delivery... nice torque from the new 2.0, but the top end feels weedy in comparison to the old car because of all the extra torque (if chip-tunes are available to bring hp up to an even 200, though, cool!). Ride quality is good, despite run-flats. They've really improved the quality inside. No more of the floating door inners with the rave-tastic light strips. Still tiny. And now looks like a gasping carp. Plus side: Did I mention the steering?

Mustang... well... at this point, everyone knows what you're getting. A cramped-ish interior, incredible straightline speed... great engine note, and a big, heavy nose... which means mostly point-and-shoot driving on our roads, despite the very, very competent suspension (don't hit any AUVs on the Skyway!). Also, stupid rocker-switch manual mode. Plus side: You can go on fun runs with the big boy sports car clubs and their 911s and Lambos.

STI, haven't driven it... yet... hoping to get my chance next month. Reports are that the ride is still stiff and the clutch is still a female dog to use, and I imagine the carried over 2.5 will still have that dual-personality ramp up in boost around 4-5k rpm that will have your passengers reaching for the handholds. Biggest problem with the STI is the WRX:

The WRX, well... reviewed it:
    Subaru WRX 2.0 MT review in the Philippines | TopGear.com.ph

If I had to compare, the clutch is gentler than I remember from Subies past, and the new torque-vectoring brakes do work a treat. I don't know how long they'll stay effective... I did notice the pedal getting a bit long after a lot of hard driving... but if you'll be driving 10/10ths for long periods of time, you definitely want the STI.

Still, I think the WRX is probably your best bet... I know you said practicality is not important, but it has decent economy, lots of space, a big trunk and it won't beat you up all that much to drive... And where a Mustang or MINI will start understeering as you push harder (a little oversteer is still possible in the MINI in Sport mode, though, if you know what you're doing), the WRX gets better the harder you push.

Then, that's me... I'd understand if you picked any of these cars.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Damn Niky. You're the bomb! And Egan101, yes the ISF is nice as well but its too much of a gentleman's racer for me .

Actually, I havent driven a manual (continuously) for years. But after watching the WRX STi eat the Isle of Man for breakfast in youtube, that got me thinking a bit......

Im thinking the Mustang is the fastest in a straight line (the new model will probably be out here next year with its new suspension and Flappy paddles) but might be hard to park LOL. If the new Mustang was out TODAY, it would be a no brainer. I'd get the Mustang.

The mini cooper S...... Niky, correct me if I am wrong, but it seems 190HP from a 2 liter turbo means that the engine is DE-Tuned? Im sure there is a lot more power to be had from those BMW units. Compared to the 270HP from the same displacement of the WRX, there must be a lot of power that can be unlocked from the mini with a chip tune? If this is the case, then I'd go with the Mini.

The WRX seems the 'practical' choice but Im not looking for practicality. THough it does look bad boy enough with those 4 mufflers.
    Im not too sure though if you can unlock more power from that engine given that its mated to a CVT. As for the STi, I know the power mods are available in spades so that is very intriguing. The after market scene knows that engine very well.

Sold my Legacy and hence need a replacement for it

I looked at the A45 in Youtube. Damn thats a fast car but its too expensive. The M235 looks killer as well.

Im leaning towards the Mini for the fun-to-drive in the City shenanigans. But if I cant unlock (easily with a chiptune mind you) the power, then the decision becomes harder. My Legacy was really fast but getting long in the tooth.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Go with the STi combination of both power and handling. the wrx cvt is a huge disappointment, if you want power and have half a brain you wouldn't get one. haven't driven the m/t version yet but just like all wrx it still won't be able to keep up with the STi. no matter what a wrx owner say the STi is still a much much better car than the wrx.

the mini cooper won't be able to compete with the wrx, sti and mustang in terms of power. you'd need to spend tons of money just to be able to keep up with those cars. mini's don't gain that much power to aftermarket parts compared to a wrx or STi which with just a simple tune and a full exhaust you can gain 50-75hp. plus aftermarket parts for the mini is as widely available as subaru aftermarket parts.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I guess the new WRX comes with the FA20DIT engine. It's the same as the Forester XT (tuned lower at 250hp) and JDM Legacy GT DIT (tuned higher at 300hp). The Legacy GT DIT and Forester XT both come in Lineartronic CVT.

*EQAddict - Sayang naman yung Legacy mo. It still one good car against its competitors.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Yeah i miss that car already hehe

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I don't know how much you can unlock. 190 hp is a bit underachieving, for sure... I bet a chip-tune could net you around 220 hp, at least. The six speed auto has very solid feeling shifts. Didn't like the intervention of traction and stability control in the autocross... but our autocross set-up was very tight, with lots of 180 degree turns... in actual corners on the road, it feels great.

-

The WRX CVT is great for 8/10ths driving, but push hard for a long time and it'll start slipping, like all CVTs do.

-

The WRX, in terms of power capability... COBB Stage I tune, still not finalized, already gives it much more torque and about 10-20 horses more than the stock STI (this is as measured on COBB's own dynamometer, from their testing of both WRX and STI for reflash solutions).

I doubt the CVT can handle huge power, but then, you're the only one who knows how much power you want.

-

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Who does COBB stage 1 tuning here? Hmmmmm interesting.

The mini cooper looks interesting if it werent so overpriced. Though my wife really wants it........

10. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    The new wrx s4 edition with 296bhp was announced today. It still uses the CVT and flappy paddles paired with a tuned 2.0 boxer engine. It comes standard with brake vectoring and those eyesight collision and lane change detection features.

Nice. If thats available here then i would get that. Info is in motortrend magazine.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Hypothetical: all new subaru wrx vs wrx sti vs 2015 mini cooper s vs current mustang