New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    i'm a previous owner ng EG civic (92-95 civic lx). this is a really good reliable car. no problems with it. didn't really want to part with it pero kelangan na. comments lang for the thread-starter:

make sure na hindi pa nag-o-overheat ang bibilhin mong ESi. napakanipis ng engine blocks ng honda. madaling mag-crack kung nag-overheat. worse, hindi siya repairable like the other japanese manufacturers. in the event na nag-overheat na ang makina nyan, palit makina ka na. lugi ka na.

yung problema sa roof ng EG's, totoo yan. pinakamadali (at magastos) na solusyon ay kumuha ka ng roofcut sa mga surplus shops at papalitan mo. otherwise, maghanap ka ng magaling na body shop. kaya ingat sa mga buy&sell guys na quick fix lang ginawa (madali naman kasi takpan ang kalawang na bubong -- pero sasandali lang at babalik kaagad ang problema).

pa-inspect mo ang suspension bago mo bilhin. mas magastos ang paayos ng suspension ng honda (mas madami kasing balljoints compared sa comparable na japanese car).

pansinin mo kung may mga kulang na trim (yung mga plastic stuff sa interior at exterior). mahal at mahirap maghanap ng mga yan.

check mo din kung nalubog na sa baha ang kotse. mababa ang ECU ng civic, madaling tamaan ng baha.

check mo kung ipinang-karera na ang kotse. madami sa mga EG ang ikinakarera kasi. in which case, mataas ang chance na laspag na ang mga suspension components niya.

that's it and good luck. alagaan mo ang EG at matagal at magandang serbisyo ang ihahatid niya sa iyo.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Just a question, I once had honda esi bought late last year but unfortunately i encountered so much problems, overheating, 1 cylinder is dead which need overhauling. I returned it and exchange it for a 97 Nissan Sentra Series 3 but with additional 20K.

Is it worth it? thnx

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's hard to say. Trading one secondhand car for another often means you're exchanging your headaches for someone else's.

----

RE: which is better? Like I've opined in the other thread (sana ma-merge nalang, mods... pareho yung question ni workaholic doon), the Sentra FE may be the simpler car, but it's newer, so less problem areas. Carburator cleaning is the only additional maintenance (I used to do it every oil change, to be sure) I ever had to do, and ownership was painless, and fun. I used to flog that car on C5 late at night, and my cousin would borrow it to go to his girlfriend in Dasmarinas.

It was a simple car, but about as much fun as a City Type Z or a Civc ESi... slower, maybe, but bigger than either of them inside.

The only reason we traded it in is that my bro put too much stuff on it. Lowering springs, an open exhaust, blue neon in the interior (blech!), and my Mom was embarrased to be seen in it...

*sigh* I sometimes think it would have been better if we didn't trade it and instead restored it to stock.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    yun nga lang ang prob, pero kasi sa kanya rin naman galing iyung sasakyan. out of kahihiyan siguro.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    i'll go for sentra FE kung for daily car purposes mas bago kasi compare sa EG.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Generally i'd go with the newer car... a lot depends on condition and what your needs are as well.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    for me, i'd check the general condition of the car. the engine, the body, suspension, etc. yes, of course, most probably the mileage.

let's say in this case given that both seems to appear okay, the older has a lower mileage- i might as well get it. but beware though. it could be tampered or if not then, the previous owner used the car mostly on city driving where traffic is evident- which contributes to higher wear and tear factor. however, higher mileage car, most often percieved as abused.

not quite really. because the previous owner might be living in an area where there is no traffic at all (i.e. province/rural area), wherein miles accumulated is mostly on highway driving. in this case, given the mileage reading even if it seems high- the general condition of the engine is still ok compared to the city driven vehicle.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    EG ESI civics has an achille's heel... It's freaki'n blistery ruts on the roof! A relative who is the car buy n sell buss. had a time where he had a hard time disposing these types of car coz of it! So better check carefully those civics ur eyeing..
    Compared to the FE, ESI's has a better power plant and all that but its older... an older car equals more headaches.. unless it is a restored one, meaning alternators, suspension were changed, d roof were repaired, etc. etc. but how can u be sure right? its easy to fake receipts and say to a prospective buyer u have repalced this n that on a car..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
HONDA ESI or NISSAN SENTRA FE