New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Hi! New car buyer (in other words, no clue ) with a budget of 600-650k for an automatic. Within that range, im trying to choose between the 1.3 city and the sentra. Or are there better alternatives? Not asking for much - just a reliable, fuel efficient car with good after sales service. Help! Help! Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    1.3 City, for sure. The Nissan's GX 1.3 AT is pretty sluggish. The Honda City 1.3 CVT is smooth, relatively quick, very fuel efficient and seamless. Try it out first, though, and see which you like more, as the Sentra has more elbow room in the back seat, better designed seats (subjectively) and great airconditioning.

But if you have no problems with the interior of the City (which you probably will like, it's ridiculously big for such a small car, but still narrow), go for it. The 10,000 km service interval should also save you quite a bit of money in the long run.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Engine reliability and after sales service, i'll go for nissan. we have both car brand (1992 maxima, 2006 sentra(1.3 m/t) and 1997 city(1.3 m/t)). I can say na mas reliable ang nissan hindi pa kami binigyan ng problema re: its engine compare to our honda. plus siyempre mas malamig ang aircon kahit more than 10 years na. mas mura and marami ang parts.

Fuel efficiency syempre sa honda ako.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganR
    Hi! New car buyer (in other words, no clue ) with a budget of 600-650k for an automatic. Within that range, im trying to choose between the 1.3 city and the sentra. Or are there better alternatives? Not asking for much - just a reliable, fuel efficient car with good after sales service. Help! Help! Thanks!
    I assume you are looking at the Nissan Sentra 1.4L a/t vs Honda City 1.3L cvt ...

The sentra is your basic no frills daily driven car. Plastic dash & interior layout that would feel familiar even to those owning a 1992 model Sentra. Seats are comfy and the ride is what is expected for this size sedan. Front legroom is fine but the rear legroom is about the same as with the previous model sentras.

The City has a surprising spacious legroom for both the front & rear seating positions. Rear seats can be folded up for added cargo space inside the cabin. The ride quality is said to be improved as compared to the previous 2nd gen City where the ride quality is stiff & harsh. I haven't tried driving the revised City (with the newer suspension) so I can't really say how good/bad it is. The engine power from the 1.3L is perky until you reach around 90-100kph if you have the CVT equipted unit. The "7-speed" option might sound good but its basically a toy that you will never use again after your first two weeks in the car. The seats might get uncomfortable on long rides because I feel it lacks some more padding. With regards to fuel efficiency, you can't really go wrong with the City or Jazz 1.3 models.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganR

BTW before taking any of our words for their face value, I suggest taking the cars for a test drive and feel the car for yourself. Example, along Shaw Bvld, you can find Honda, Nissan and Toyota just a few meters away from each other. You can go there and test drive three car brands in one afternoon.

I suggest you ask the sales representative to shut-up during the test drive so you can concetrate on how the car feels to you.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    I suggest you ask the sales representative to shut-up during the test drive so you can concetrate on how the car feels to you.
    Tyak yun! But word it as: "Mag-usap nalang po tayo pagbalik sa dealership."

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ...or bring someone with you to distract the sales guy B)

from what i've read about the current sentras, di daw "exciting" to drive -- maski na ung 1.8L variant.

tingin ko ung malaking advantage ng sentra is the interior space - which may also be its biggest weakness coming up against the city/jazz

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I'd go for the Sentra...just because it's more of a Sedan.. in the long run ,you'll be happier with the Sentra because it's more roomier than the City. N plus..EVERYONE has a city or a vios. A brand new car is a brand new car, you probably won't have any big problems for about 5yrs... ur problems should reflect on ur maintenance on ur car. Just as long as u take care of either car, you should be ok. But get a Sentra... it's more of a sedan than the City.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Based on your criteria, the City fits the bill.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For the flexibility of use, you might want to consider the Honda Jazz. Basically the same as the Honda City except for the rear hatch. The hatch gives the Jazz the ability to carry more & bigger stuff than the City or even the Sentra. The rear seats can be folded down and flat to the floor which gives enough space to load a small office table inside with space to spare on either side.

Honda City or Nissan Sentra or ??