New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    ^ +1 ako dito. Subjective ang looks and "driving experience." Objective ang specs.

Parang sa Jordan-Kobe debate. Subjective yung who's a better ballhandler, shooter etc. But when it comes to stats and accomplishments, we have a clear winner. And it's not the Purple and Gold player.

Disclaimer: 1.3S M/T City owner
    Last edited by rj_tim; August 3rd, 2010 at 01:20 PM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    On-paper specs mean nothing.

On paper, the Mazda2 actually has more room than the Honda City. Yet, in real life, the Honda City feels more spacious.

On paper, the Yaris has more boot space than the Mazda2 hatch. Yet, in real life, the Mazda2 hatch is wider and deeper and more useful.

On paper, the Honda Civic 1.8 gets better EPA economy than the first generation Honda Jazz. In real life, the reason Honda isn't doing eco-runs anymore is because there's no way in hell you'll get 30 kilometers per liter out of a 1.8 Civic from Sorsogon to Pagudpud.

On paper, the Honda City has more gears and more power. On paper, the Honda gets to 100 km/h faster. But in real life, the Mazda2 is just as fast and has the same economy.

So much for on paper specs, eh?

Not to say the Mazda2 is superior. I agree, the Honda is the better package for most people. But if you make that decision based on on-paper specs, you'd be mistaken as to why it's better. Remember: printed specs everywhere suggest the Mazda2 is actually the bigger car!

"Subjectivity" counts, which is why we have car reviews. Because numbers are only half the story. Because numbers sure as hell ain't going to tell you whether your brand new car will pummel you to death on a drive down our lumpy provincial roads or require herculean effort to turn the steering wheel in the parking lot.

Going back to the basketball analogy... Some players may have better PPGs, better FG percentages, be stronger, faster, taller, etcetera... but only one guy has seven rings. ;) And that's not because of any on-paper stats. It's because he's more ruthless, more committed and smarter than the other guys. And that's stuff that won't show up on any trading card.

*another analogy is Formula One. Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton are younger, fitter, faster in terms of pure lap times and physical reactions, etcetera. Guess who's leading the championship? An over-the-hill 35 year old Australian (that's retirement age for some sports). So much for paper stats. :hysterical:
    Last edited by niky; August 3rd, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    *Niky nice one hehehehe....

No Disclaimer : owner of vios 1.5 G AT (09 Model)
    Last edited by actor21; August 3rd, 2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: ot to of

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    ...that's why a test drive always counts...

on paper the mz2's engine is anemic compared to the vios and city.

but on the road.

wheeee! zoom zoom! :rofl:

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    ...that's why a test drive always counts...

on paper the mz2's engine is anemic compared to the vios and city.

but on the road.

wheeee! zoom zoom! :rofl:
    And on-paper, Kobe Bryant's scoring record (81 points in a game) is higher than Michael Jordan's (60+ points). T'aint the top end power (most points per game)... it's how much power you make all across the rev range (points average per season) that counts.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Interesting replies.

Anyhoo, yeah. I agree with the whole specs-isn't-everything idea. I believe buying a car is less like buying a computer and more akin to buying a house. Yes, specs do play a part (dimensions, lay-out, furnishings if any) but the most important thing is to feel "at home".

I feel that the same rings true when buying a car - especially where the general specs are comparable (even if not exact).

I was canvassing around a few weeks back - and I was initially adamant on getting the Yaris (trunk-less Vios G for 50k less!). But when I stepped into the Yar, it just didn't feel right.

My mom and tita wanted me to get the City - but despite me liking it more than the Yaris, there was something off. Though that could be my dare-to-be-different attitude acting up.:P

When I met the Mazda2 - I felt lurve. =))

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Honda City  or Mazda 2 Sedan?