New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Hello guys im planning to buy my first car and im choosing between the two. First time driver din ako.. Manual talaga gusto ko aralin. When i choose honda city ung base model ang mabibili ko where in pag ford ung trend most likely. Need your input guys for the pros and cons of each car. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Well if you want a manual, then get the Ecosport since the City you're considering is an automatic (CVT).

The Ecosport Trend MT is a great first car. Easy to drive with good ground clearance and flood fording capability in case of emergencies. It's also pretty well-spec'd already for its price. Since you're getting a manual, you won't suffer the jerkiness of the automatic Ecosport.

It's not as spacious as a City, but if you just have 4 passengers, it's okay.

At 835k, it's significantly more expensive than the City 1.5E MT at 760k. But like I said, it's a more versatile car, and you're really paying for the additional features and ground clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Well if you want a manual, then get the Ecosport since the City you're considering is an automatic (CVT).

The Ecosport Trend MT is a great first car. Easy to drive with good ground clearance and flood fording capability in case of emergencies. It's also pretty well-spec'd already for its price. Since you're getting a manual, you won't suffer the jerkiness of the automatic Ecosport.

It's not as spacious as a City, but if you just have 4 passengers, it's okay.

At 835k, it's significantly more expensive than the City 1.5E MT at 760k. But like I said, it's a more versatile car, and you're really paying for the additional features and ground clearance.

Thanks for the advice.. Is it true that ford cars are too expensive to maintain in the long run?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Sulit View Post
    Thanks for the advice.. Is it true that ford cars are too expensive to maintain in the long run?

Compared to a Toyota, yes, they're slightly more expensive to maintain. This is because :

1) Ford dealerships charge higher for PMS. Your usual 10,000 km oil change with Toyota will cost somewhere around 3-4k. With Ford this will be around 4-5k. Higher, but not exorbitantly so.

2) Replacement parts for Fords are generally more expensive and harder to come by. However, there are shops in Banawe specialized in Ford parts (MazFord, Fordland, etc).

Hondas are somewhere in the middle. The advantage of Hondas and Fords over Toyotas though is that you're only required to have your PMS every 10,000 km, while Toyota requires you to have your car serviced every 5,000.

Bottomline: yes, maintenance of Fords aren't as cheap as Toyota (no-one is), but definitely not prohibitively expensive like European brands (BMW/Mercedes).

5. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Compared to a Toyota, yes, they're slightly more expensive to maintain. This is because :

1) Ford dealerships charge higher for PMS. Your usual 10,000 km oil change with Toyota will cost somewhere around 3-4k. With Ford this will be around 4-5k. Higher, but not exorbitantly so.

2) Replacement parts for Fords are generally more expensive and harder to come by. However, there are shops in Banawe specialized in Ford parts (MazFord, Fordland, etc).

Hondas are somewhere in the middle. The advantage of Hondas and Fords over Toyotas though is that you're only required to have your PMS every 10,000 km, while Toyota requires you to have your car serviced every 5,000.

Bottomline: yes, maintenance of Fords aren't as cheap as Toyota (no-one is), but definitely not prohibitively expensive like European brands (BMW/Mercedes).

Got it.. Looks like the gap of the maintenance cost of toyotas vs ford/honda isn't that big. Another reason why im choosing a manual tranny over cvt despite the traffic situation we have is many of my friends is telling me that its more fun to drive a manual once you get used to it. How bout the durability of ford cars? Sorry for asking too much questions. Im a total newbie on cars.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Got it.. Looks like the gap of the maintenance cost of toyotas vs ford/honda isn't that big. Another reason why im choosing a manual tranny over cvt despite the traffic situation we have is many of my friends is telling me that its more fun to drive a manual once you get used to it. How bout the durability of ford cars? Sorry for asking too much questions. Im a total newbie on cars.

Yes a manual is more fun to drive if you're out on open roads with free-flowing traffic. But if you spend most of your time stuck in Metro Manila traffic, your left leg will just get tired from clutching and de-clutching as you repeatedly shift from Neutral to 1st gear and back while you crawl at a snail's pace.

That said, I have both MT and AT cars and I personally don't feel any more fatigued driving the MT in traffic compared to the AT. But other people will have different experiences, some of them cursing manuals when stuck in traffic.

As for durability, there are no known issues of the Ecosport so far. The chief complaint of owners is a jerky dual-clutch automatic transmission, but since you're opting for a manual, this shouldn't be a concern.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Yes a manual is more fun to drive if you're out on open roads with free-flowing traffic. But if you spend most of your time stuck in Metro Manila traffic, your left leg will just get tired from clutching and de-clutching as you repeatedly shift from Neutral to 1st gear and back while you crawl at a snail's pace.

That said, I have both MT and AT cars and I personally don't feel any more fatigued driving the MT in traffic compared to the AT. But other people will have different experiences, some of them cursing manuals when stuck in traffic.

As for durability, there are no known issues of the Ecosport so far. The chief complaint of owners is a jerky dual-clutch automatic transmission, but since you're opting for a manual, this shouldn't be a concern.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    I see.. So all i need is to get used to it.. 😁 bout the traffic, i will not use it as an everyday car since i prefer using my motorcycle when going to work. During rainy season maybe.. some out of town and gimmicks. One more thing that made me consider ecosport is our area is quite flood prone so a car with a higher ground clearance will be a better choice? Hmm how bout the fuel consumption? Is the ecosport a gasoline pacman?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I see.. So all i need is to get used to it.. 😁 bout the traffic, i will not use it as an everyday car since i prefer using my motorcycle when going to work. During rainy season maybe.. some out of town and gimmicks. One more thing that made me consider ecosport is our area is quite flood prone so a car with a higher ground clearance will be a better choice? Hmm how bout the fuel consumption? Is the ecosport a gasoline pacman?

EcoSport fuel consumption is not bad, even with the automatic... but it's nowhere near as good as the City on the highway.

The CVT-equipped City can easily hit over 20 km/l... 25 on long trips... at a steady 80 km/h.

The EcoSport, due to its tall body, tops out at just under 20 km/l with the automatic. Manual should net you 20 at a steady 80 km/h.

-

The EcoSport should be decent in a flood. It's the only compact crossover with a flood-fording rating. (550mm, just under two feet)... be aware, however, that flood water that high can start floating your vehicle, so if there is a cross-current, better not to risk it.

Also be aware that bow waves from passing trucks can raise the water high enough to inundate your air intake, even if it sits out of the water, so if the flood water is anywhere near your maximum fording depth, better not to risk it.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    First time driver? go for a higher ground clearance sir. God enough reason for you to choose Ecosport.

Ito rin pinag pilian ko dati pero automatic, di kaya ng budget automatic ng ecosport so nag city E CVT ako.

Almost two years na city ko and no complaint so far, medyo malakas lang sa gas pag traffic. And mahal din maintenance ng Honda