New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Hi guys,

Is this a good buy? I Test drove the unit and everything is fine with the engine and suspension (brought a honda mechanic with me). but the thing is, it's 2nd owned and its 128Tkms already. My mistake was, I already gave an earnest money and promissed to pay next week. What do you think guys? Should I go on with the deal or forget about my 5K?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Can't go wrong with an Accord, really... As with any 2nd hand car, it just has to be checked thoroughly on how it was cared for previously...

But at 128KM medyo mataas for a 97... Unless you can confirm na highway driving sya lagi, ok lang... I remembered my brother in law's CRV dati mga 70KM natakbo in 3 years, pero 3x a week kasi Batangas City to Manila yun tapos highway miles at PMS maintained kaya ok lang... Yung kumuha kasi taga Batangas din so alam nya average mileage...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    it was casa maintained by the 1st owner. the latest owner, the one selling the car had it only for 3mos. and he has an open deed of sale so lalabas na parang 2nd owner ako. I'm now beginning to suspect na he's into buy and sell (tsk tsk tsk - nadala kasi ako sa ganda ng accord) so in any event guys - should I take the plunge?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    With that mileage, the price should be a bit lower than normal. Perhaps the one big problem with Accords is their gas consumption, but since it's a manual, it shouldn't be that much of a guzzler.

If the price is over 260K, you'd much rather have a Civic.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Chances are Buyt & Sell siya or one of those who buy and try/use the car for a while to see if it's to their liking or not tapos benta. I don't mind the high mileage kung well maintained (meaning service records are there) and if it's been used on good highways a lot (the wear and tear on this would probably be less then a car with half the mileage used only in the city.

Take a close second look with your mechanic, bring it to a gas station and inspect it on a lifter; if you like it then go for it.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    With that kind of mileage, you got to do lots of repairs unless the previous owner took care of all that for you. Ask for maintenance receipts as evidence of its regular service.

Since you paid earnest money, you as the buyer is contractually bound to pay the balance otherwise it would be tantamount to a breach in the contract of sale. Imo, you should have given option money instead, if you really liked the car but may have second thoughts. Better yet, you should not pay anything at all as there are other better and low mileage vehicle similar to it.

Btw, you did not mention the selling price.

Imo, losing Php5K by not pushing through is a small damage compared to the amount of headache and moolah required in acquiring a high mileage vehicle. Let it be a valuable lesson learned. Haste makes waste. :D

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    A 1997 Honda Accord Vti-S, thats almost a decade old.
    Maybe it would be better if you went for a newer compact car... if it has to be a Honda, maybe a 1999 Civic VTi perhaps?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Even if the car is a decade old the accord is rock solid, I know because I own one. The civic may be a nice vehicle, it offers better gas mileage too, but the accord offers more luxury and space.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Check mo lang kung ok lahat. Kung maganda naman ang price niya, may pang-repairs ka na din na natira.

I used to 'borrow' the company Accords or Unilever-PRC. Some survived better than others. Tiyempuhan lang talaga.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    based on your reaction and comments,

Quote Originally Posted by Imau
    I'm now beginning to suspect na he's into buy and sell (tsk tsk tsk - nadala kasi ako sa ganda ng accord) so in any event guys - should I take the plunge?
    i find wisdom in these words...

Quote Originally Posted by number001
    Imo, losing Php5K by not pushing through is a small damage compared to the amount of headache and moolah required in acquiring a high mileage vehicle. Let it be a valuable lesson learned. Haste makes waste.
    as i've mentioned before in one the threads, i've had a honda for almost ten years and the mileage was more than 150k but it's still as reliable as i first got it, no headaches at all and all pms only until i sold it. the buyer incidentally, never let go of the car right after he test drove it

in the end, you'll be the judge, if you can happily live with the car in its present status and the price you'll pay for it (i.e. not just now but in future maintenance). just be sure that all the facts about the car has been declared out in the open.

good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Honda Accord Vti-S 1997 M/T