New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Help: Suzuki Esteem or Hyundai Elantra?Help: Suzuki Esteem or Hyundai Elantra?

I currently own a 91 kia pride that's fresh,i was thinking of doing some mods like the festiva's in fordfestiva.com, unfortunately it looks that it's going to be difficult here and would cost more compared to doing it in the US. I always wanted to own a station wagon and wanted to have something different, hence my interest in the Esteem and Elantra. Although in terms of looks the Esteem is undoubtedly the choice. So far I have been getting mixed feed back as to the car's performance, durability and maintenance. Its also kinda challenging to have mods as well. I have seen 2nd units in the web priced at 155k-198k for the Esteem, I plan to buy one in the next 2 mos. Can anybody help??? You may also know of good buys.. As for the Elantra, dunno anything about it. I guess that's the only model with the sam range in year released and price.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was in the same predicament a few months ago. Though the Esteem does look leagues better (3/4 scale Volvo S40). My main gripe about the Elantra wagon was they used the same rear doors as the sedan, hence the funny looking rear quarters. The front end was pretty bland, too.

IMHO, I leaned more towards the Esteem. It's a Japan CBU unit and uses a similar engine to the Vitara of the same vintage. And you know, how loyal those Vitarantados are so you can always go to them for advice regarding parts and services (they hang out at www.4x4ph.com ).

I've looked at a lot of the units advertised in Buy and Sell and Car Finder. Most are in sound mechanical and aesthetic condition but have minor niggles like non-functioning power windows and mirrors, as well as uncool a/c's (I have a cheap a/c guy so no problem with that).

None of these cars were built to be modified. The best thing you can probably do to the Esteem is a Euro-look package.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My vote goes to esteem.

a few weeks back, i was also looking for a wagon type car for my wife's mom-moblile. fortunately, i got hold of a very fresh spacewagon which was well within the price of the esteem & elantra.

if you're still open for other options, try looking for a 98 & up opel vectra wagon. i saw one at manila bulletin last sunday going for P215k only.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sir bogart,
    hindi ba malakas sa gas yung space wagon? i wasn't even considering this dun sa legacy thread ko until you popped it up here kasi malakas daw ito sa gas.

so far, my choices stand as the following: subaru legacy, suzuki esteem wagon, honda cr-v (first gen), pajero (2nd gen) ... but it all depend on the budget. maganda rin yung volvo v70 (or was it v50) na alok ni sir squala, very fresh pa.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    i like the Esteem....marami pa akong nkikitang fresh units sa kalsada

6. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Esteem. Looks way better than the Elantra. Plus Koreans then weren't as good at stuff as they are now.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    although i sold our esteem some time ago, i can say na it was a fine car.
    never had an elantra, but id vote for the esteem.

Help: Suzuki Esteem or Hyundai Elantra?