New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Cruze's 6AT is smoother, but the 4AT in the Altis is more responsive, but still gives excellent economy.

It's not in how many gears you have, it's how you use them. The one big advantage of 6AT cars is highway cruising, due to the longer 6th gear. In Manila traffic, it's a non-issue.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Yup. On frequent MM traffic, the 6AT is not much of a use. It goes really advantageous on the highway. Higher gears = lower rpm = better fuel economy.

Family had an Optra before, and I think this was the predecessor of the current Cruze. cmiiw. Speaking from it, it's not that bad as it seems. Ride is solid, acceleration is so-so, top-end power is magnificent. Maintenance is well, no comment.

If you would want to escape from the crowd, get the Elantra, else, stick with the Corolla. There's nothing really wowing about that, but it gets the job done quite nicely. Not to mention, the humongous trunk could also be an advantage. And, the Corolla would most likely win the availability-of-parts competition too.

Since I usually take some highway traffic the Cruze would be the best for me. But I have driven a Corolla in highway before, and even with the 4-speed it's not so bad...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Yup. On frequent MM traffic, the 6AT is not much of a use. It goes really advantageous on the highway. Higher gears = lower rpm = better fuel economy.

Family had an Optra before, and I think this was the predecessor of the current Cruze. cmiiw. Speaking from it, it's not that bad as it seems. Ride is solid, acceleration is so-so, top-end power is magnificent. Maintenance is well, no comment.

If you would want to escape from the crowd, get the Elantra, else, stick with the Corolla. There's nothing really wowing about that, but it gets the job done quite nicely. Not to mention, the humongous trunk could also be an advantage. And, the Corolla would most likely win the availability-of-parts competition too.
    What exactly is the maintenance issue with a Chevy? But how many years ago was this? Since I heard from the Cruze thread that the current Chevy management/after-sales service is improving. Can you elaborate this sir. Interested in buying a Cruze.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Maraming salamat guys! Appreciate all your inputs. We'd likely go for the elantra, kaya lang according to dealers wala raw dumating na elantra sa most recent shipment. Hehehe - and since wala na raw stock ng manual 1.6, kaya considering other options again

6. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    I'm not used to the Elantra, but both Altis and Cruze are good options. But I would maybe consider an A/T instead of the M/T, so the Cruze's 6-speed would be my choice over the 4-speed in the Altis...
    Yep and since no stock for the manual variant, tinitingnan ko ren un 1.8 GLS A/T, which i think reasonably priced na rin considering ung features na nakainstall. Hindi ko lang sure about the FC nung 1.8 A/T - i think nabasa ko from other thread city driving is about 7 km/l, parang ang layo ata sa expected/advertised FC.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    IM a Cruze owner,

many people gave their good views on the three cars indicated.

Cruze really has good insulation and nice suspension. again, acceleration is not that great. the automatic transmission shifts smoothly. If you want to be unique, the Cruze it is.

Elantra is balanced. I would say, it plays safe. I guess if given another chance to own an compact car, id choose Elantra over the three.

Main reason would be better resale value.

Toyota has always been better in resale value, extensive dealer network, parts, etc.

but the altis is nothing to scream about. for me, its just boring...to common. but out of all three, it has the best FC.

Quote Originally Posted by dwade View Post
    Yep and since no stock for the manual variant, tinitingnan ko ren un 1.8 GLS A/T, which i think reasonably priced na rin considering ung features na nakainstall. Hindi ko lang sure about the FC nung 1.8 A/T - i think nabasa ko from other thread city driving is about 7 km/l, parang ang layo ata sa expected/advertised FC.
    :english:

Inner-city FC is usually worse than the advertised, it's usual.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Great thread.

I actually thought the Cruze had the best interiors in the 800k region. I wonder if 2012 will bring bring some changes on basic specs?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    A proper test drive would settle everything. When i was choosing a new car, I couldn't decide on which car because i liked so many. After a test drive i was able to narrow it down.

Out of the 3, the depreciation value of the Cruze would be lower if you were to decide to sell the car later. (Cruze owner here) But it does have a very quiet ride, and nice sound system. Acceleration for the a/t isn't very fast..but once you get going it GETS GOING. You'll be at 120km/h and not even know it.

Elantra has a swoopy exterior, some say it's too feminine..but i like it. It has a nice curve to it. Interior room felt ok, but for some reason i felt that the interior of the Cruze was a step better than the Elantra. Maybe I was in the lower end Elantra? not sure. Smooth driving, nice feel as well.

Altis is the safe bet. It's like holding with 17 at the blackjack table. You can't go wrong with it. It has a nice exterior as well as interior. The only thing is... it's a common car. It feels like 1/4 cars on the road is an Altis. In 2011-2012, there's so many cars to choose from..unlike before when it was the Big 5 (Toyota, Honda, Mitsu, Nissan, Mazda). It's nice to be a little bold, so i'd go for the Elantra or Cruze..either car i think you wouldn't be making a bad decision at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Help Needed: Elantra 1.6 GL M/T vs. Cruze 1.8 LS M/T vs. Altis 1.6G M/T