New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Hello fellow tsikoteers! Binabasa ko un ca comparison threads and car talk threads for each car maker and still could not decide kung alin sa tatlo ang kukunin namin. First time buyer here and looking for first family car with decent FC (target minimum 10km/L for daily 30-35km trip from bahay to office and back, mixed city and highway driving from Sucat to C5), ride comfort and relatively ease of maintenance (walang sakit sa ulo).

Each of the three has their PROS and CONS based sa mga nabasa ko dito. I'm just looking for that "kicker" para makadecide na alin sa tatlo once and for all. Can you please post personal experiences nyo with any of the three as car owners? (i.e. after sales support, maintenance costs, or pwede rin any complaints tipong "kalampag" issue kung meron)

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Not an owner, but I've driven all three. The Elantra's gearshift is easily best of the three... almost as good as a Honda's, in fact... positive feel, and a light, easy-to-use clutch. The Cruze's shifter is a bit rubbery, and Toyota's shifters are hardly ever nice to use. The Elantra is not quite as choppy as the current Altis (which they stiffened up because the last one was too pillowy soft to be stable on the highway) but not quite as supple as the Cruze. All three cars handle well enough for daily duty, though the Elantra and Cruze do tend to feel keener than the Toyota.

The Cruze has the best ride and the best sound insulation. Sound insulation is the Elantra's main bugbear... but it's not horrible... just not great. The Cruze and Elantra tie for space. The new Altis is roomier than before, but it sacrifices a tiny bit of comfort to achieve this.

The Elantra, hands-down, has the best looking interior... and materials on the base model are a step up from the Cruze, though the top-of-the-line Cruze ties with the top-of-the-line Elantra for material quality.

In terms of engines and transmissions, the Elantra wins, hands down. The Cruze 1.8 may have decent punch, but the gears are much too long. The Cruze 1.6 MT feels a lot like a Civic FD 1.8 MT. It's that good. 130 horses and a very linear powerband.

In fuel economy, I'm betting the Corolla still wins it, but I haven't done a back-to-back with the Elantra, so I can't be sure.

In terms of maintenance costs... unknown. I'm not sure if all three cars have 10,000 km intervals, but it's likely. Both Chevrolet and Hyundai offer long warranties, and Chevy is starting to make a turn-around in customer service (customer service matters in the first three years of ownership... that's why my cousin went for his Ford Escape, because he loves the service and the attention from the staff at Ford Alabang). Toyota and Hyundai's customer service... depends on dealership.

It's likely it'll be easier to find suspension and brake parts for the Corolla outside, but that's the limit of it... there are aftermarket Hyundai suppliers out there, too who have brakes and suspension parts. Chevrolet... not sure, but there's always Thunder...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Elantra nalang for good power but still with 1.6L gas mileage. And the looks are really distinct. And then there's the 5 year warranty to consider as well. Yun nga lang, I'd change the wheels as soon as possible and something has to be done with the disc/drum brake setup (niky, napapalitan ba yan ng disc na ginagamit sa 1.6A/T?).

The Cruze is a good car in itself but the dealer network and parts/maintenance cost and availability are things to be considered as well. And of course the 1.6L's give better gas mileage.

Yung Altis naman... Default choice, safe and reliable, gets the job done, low maintenance, wide dealer network, great parts availability, etc, etc. typical Toyota traits. The car is not really bad, just not exceptionally good in any particular thing.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    thanks niky! u mentioned choppy un suspension ng elantra, u mean better ride than the altis?

*GTi - may mga nakapagpapalit na kaya ng rims and wheels ng elantra from stock to 17's? or 16's lang para maretain un ride comfort?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Elantra's suspension is smooth most of the time... but it's not perfect... it tends to feel a bit under-damped (shocks can't control springs) on harsh bumps, but not as badly as some other cars. The Cruze is smooth. The old Altis was very smooth... but it had very, very, very soft springs... to the point of bouncing after hitting a bump (but bouncing smoooothly... ). The new Altis is stiffer, but is now a bit harsh over small bumps, quite unlike the old car.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dwade View Post
    thanks niky! u mentioned choppy un suspension ng elantra, u mean better ride than the altis?

*GTi - may mga nakapagpapalit na kaya ng rims and wheels ng elantra from stock to 17's? or 16's lang para maretain un ride comfort?
    The 1.8GLS Elantra uses 16's already, I suppose you can get 17's without sacrificing too much in ride comfort and even get better handling like in the case of the Lancer EX (which uses 18's).

7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The 1.8GLS Elantra uses 16's already, I suppose you can get 17's without sacrificing too much in ride comfort and even get better handling like in the case of the Lancer EX (which uses 18's).
    Thanks GTi! dun sa 17's na sinasabi mo, need pa ba ng lowering springs non? o stock height? hehe sorry noob question.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I don't think so, not because you want to throw in 17's. In fact, in the USDM Elantra (and perhaps also elsewhere), Hyundai offers stock 17" wheels as well.

2011 Hyundai Elantra 40 MPG achieved by design

9. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Nice, one good reason more to upgrade un wheels to 17s!

Mukang pro elantra ang nagrerep sa thread, any feedback from Cruze and Altis owners?

I'm not used to the Elantra, but both Altis and Cruze are good options. But I would maybe consider an A/T instead of the M/T, so the Cruze's 6-speed would be my choice over the 4-speed in the Altis...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help Needed: Elantra 1.6 GL M/T vs. Cruze 1.8 LS M/T vs. Altis 1.6G M/T