New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    kung matic, sa lxi model ok na.

Sayang naman VTEC engine kung matic auto mo.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The SiR isn't that thirsty. Even my cousin's fully modified SiR drinks less than my 2.0. 7 km/l is in traffic, if you drive like a jackrabbit. If you drive sedately, and have no modifications, you should be able to get 9.

The SiR's fuel economy is about average for 1.6 liter cars of that time. It's just that the VTi is above average.

The SiR may be "stiff" by regular car standards, but it's not very stiff (softer than the Lynx RS, actually... which my baby can sleep in), and it's liveable on a day-to-day basis. It's a good choice, but only if you want the extra performance. SiR values are starting to go down, finally, but they're still 100k more than comparable VTis. And, sadly, the only place you can use that extra power is on the highway. To access the SiR's extra overtaking power, you have to rev its nuts off... although, to be fair, its midrange is plenty strong enough.

If it's family use, go for the VTi. It costs nearly the same as the LXi, and it's almost as fuel efficient. It's got as much immediate pick-up as the SiR and it's still relatively fun to drive.

Of course, kung matic ang pinag-uusapan, throw fuel economy out the window. And I don't like buying 'matics that old, as you never know how well they've been cared for until they break down on you... better to buy a stick... saves money on gas, too.
    Last edited by niky; December 14th, 2006 at 09:44 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cablespy View Post
    kung matic, sa lxi model ok na.

Sayang naman VTEC engine kung matic auto mo.

y po sayang? ang pagkaalam ko po, vtec activates at a high rpm.. d ba umaabot rpm ng matic? so y did they put vtec sa matic if its useless? just asking po.. me confused..

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The SiR isn't that thirsty. Even my cousin's fully modified SiR drinks less than my 2.0. 7 km/l is in traffic, if you drive like a jackrabbit. If you drive sedately, and have no modifications, you should be able to get 9.

The SiR's fuel economy is about average for 1.6 liter cars of that time. It's just that the VTi is above average.

The SiR may be "stiff" by regular car standards, but it's not very stiff (softer than the Lynx RS, actually... which my baby can sleep in), and it's liveable on a day-to-day basis. It's a good choice, but only if you want the extra performance. SiR values are starting to go down, finally, but they're still 100k more than comparable VTis. And, sadly, the only place you can use that extra power is on the highway. To access the SiR's extra overtaking power, you have to rev its nuts off... although, to be fair, its midrange is plenty strong enough.

If it's family use, go for the VTi. It costs nearly the same as the LXi, and it's almost as fuel efficient. It's got as much immediate pick-up as the SiR and it's still relatively fun to drive.

Of course, kung matic ang pinag-uusapan, throw fuel economy out the window. And I don't like buying 'matics that old, as you never know how well they've been cared for until they break down on you... better to buy a stick... saves money on gas, too.
    gusto ko nga rin po manual, kaso nakaktamad na po mgdrive lalo na pag long drives tas ung dadaanan mo trafik. at para din po pwede gamitin ng kapatid ko na babae.. easier to drive..

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    The VTI is a better choice compared to a LXI, esp when their price difference are almost negligible.

The SIR's price is way overvalued for a vehicle of that age and primary use (a lot of them got abused, raced hard, and modified).

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    The VTI is a better choice compared to a LXI, esp when their price difference are almost negligible.

The SIR's price is way overvalued for a vehicle of that age and primary use (a lot of them got abused, raced hard, and modified).
    True. But it's partially justified.

I've always held the opinion that the resale value is only slightly affected by the bells, whistles and what-have-you that the car was sold with from the factory. The major factor affecting the price is the mechanical quality.

And the SiR, no doubt, has mechanical quality, and a very special engine, that, by itself, warrants the entire price premium by itself. It's not really overvalued that much, not anymore. But you're right, if a person is looking for a practical secondhand, that price premium just doesn't make sense.

-----

Kung matic lang talaga, well, VTi pa rin. But you have to pick very carefully. Cars of this age are entering the period where those transmissions are starting to give you trouble. While Hondas, in general, are quite reliable, automatic transmissions don't fare terribly well in Manila traffic over long periods of time, so take your time and examine potential buys well before you shake hands on them.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
help me decide...2nd hand civics