New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Guys, I need your input. I'll be in the market for a 2nd hand SUV/CUV before the year ends and here's the background. I need an SUV that can handle CAMANAVA flooding, relatively fuel efficient(6km/liter minimum) and whose parts wont cost an arm and a leg. I'm single(hopefully hitched within the next 2 years :D) and works on the night shift. I'm into mountain biking too so space would be a bonus but not a deal breaker(may bike rack naman). I'm the adventurous type (once rode my scooter with my fiancee through the yet unpaved roads of marikina-laguna-quezon road while raining for the heck of it) so a bit of off-road capability is a plus. Oh and lastly I travel around 43km daily, and my budget is around 500k.

So far here are my choices according to how I rank them:

1. Jimny (05+): First choice since it will be the cheapest, most fuel efficient of the bunch and it's off-road capabilities are well documented. Downside is space and not a lot of it for sale.
    2. X-Trail 250X (05): Spacious, great ride, and mild off road prowess makes this my second choice. Only negative would be the FC.
    3. Sportage CVVT (07): Spacious too, cheaper, and since we have a few of its twin(Tucson) already, we're already familiar with its characteristics. Dowside would be that it's really more of a crossover than an SUV, FC ain't nothing to brag about, and that it has a bumpy ride.
    4. Tucson CVVT (06): Same as Sportage but I think the former looks better. And as I mentioned, we already have a few in the family and I'm not really too keen on adding another one.
    5. Outlander (05): Unorthodox looks(which I am a fan of), spacious, and great ride. Not a big fan of it's oldish engine and FC.

If you guys have anything more to add, please do so. TIA.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Of the choices, I would go for the X-TRAIL 250X.

Ride quality comparable to sedan cars yet capable of going offroad (well, soft-roading) without fear of getting stuck.

Plastic covered/floored cargo area practical for the active lifestyle. Big enough to handle most stuff and easy to clean after getting covered with mud. Try doing that to a carpeted floor cargo area of other SUVs.

Fuel consumption is the only negative but you could have an Auto-LPG system installed to save you on the cost of fuel. P24/L for Auto-LPG and you can switch to gasoline anytime at a press of button. With your daily travel distance of 43km per day, the ROI period of an Auto-LPG kit could be under a year.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    go for the jimny ditch the other faux offroader choices

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I had xtrail 200X before mahina suspension nyan. Parang kotse ride nya pero parang kotse din kahina suspension. Vote ko sportage 07 never had one pero muka mas malakas sa offroad among the rest except jimny. But if you are into a hardcore offroading jimny ako actually Im looking for this too yung 04 model.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by keith22 View Post
    Guys, I need your input. I'll be in the market for a 2nd hand SUV/CUV before the year ends and here's the background. I need an SUV that can handle CAMANAVA flooding, relatively fuel efficient(6km/liter minimum) and whose parts wont cost an arm and a leg. I'm single(hopefully hitched within the next 2 years :D) and works on the night shift. I'm into mountain biking too so space would be a bonus but not a deal breaker(may bike rack naman). I'm the adventurous type (once rode my scooter with my fiancee through the yet unpaved roads of marikina-laguna-quezon road while raining for the heck of it) so a bit of off-road capability is a plus. Oh and lastly I travel around 43km daily, and my budget is around 500k.

So far here are my choices according to how I rank them:

1. Jimny (05+): First choice since it will be the cheapest, most fuel efficient of the bunch and it's off-road capabilities are well documented. Downside is space and not a lot of it for sale.
    2. X-Trail 250X (05): Spacious, great ride, and mild off road prowess makes this my second choice. Only negative would be the FC.
    3. Sportage CVVT (07): Spacious too, cheaper, and since we have a few of its twin(Tucson) already, we're already familiar with its characteristics. Dowside would be that it's really more of a crossover than an SUV, FC ain't nothing to brag about, and that it has a bumpy ride.
    4. Tucson CVVT (06): Same as Sportage but I think the former looks better. And as I mentioned, we already have a few in the family and I'm not really too keen on adding another one.
    5. Outlander (05): Unorthodox looks(which I am a fan of), spacious, and great ride. Not a big fan of it's oldish engine and FC.

If you guys have anything more to add, please do so. TIA.
    The Jimny has the best offroading capability among these as it uses ladder frame chassis. The old Sportage/Tucson are not anything to write about. they're just raised hatches for all I care. As for the Outlander, its the exact opposite of the Jimny. Its got the best on road performance among your choices as it uses the same chassis as the Lancer Evolution. The X-Trail strikes the best balance as it has enough room for your stuff and can handle a bit more severe, but still mild, offroading compared to the other choices except the Jimny.

As for me, I wouldn't pick any of these. I'd get the Suzuki Grand Vitara. I'm sure any of their engine variants available would be able to hit 6km/L. Its got the best of both worlds with Land Rover style unibody chassis with built in ladder frame. Its got THE best offroading prowess in its class along with good looks to boot.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the input guys! I don't think the latest generation Grand Vitara is within my budget, and the previous gen's looks is not to my liking. I think that the new GV is the best looking CUV out there but it's just out of my financial reach.

Look's like its going to boil down to the availability of the Jimny. There's not a lot of Jimny owners out there willing to sell their rigs, more so a later model one. If by end of this year there's still no available Jimny in the market, I'll probably be getting an X-Trail 250X or Sportage depending of the respective unit's condition.

Thanks.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Wala na ba talagang maidadagdag sa budget? Well you can look for earlier versions of the current generation Grand Vitara- the ones with the 2.0L inline-4 or 2.7V6.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Jimny na lang. kung problema ang space, think of it as your waist line jeans. everyday your Jimny becomes bigger inside, pumapayat ka ... so motivate ka mag-workout diba

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The Jimny has the best offroading capability among these as it uses ladder frame chassis. The old Sportage/Tucson are not anything to write about. they're just raised hatches for all I care. As for the Outlander, its the exact opposite of the Jimny. Its got the best on road performance among your choices as it uses the same chassis as the Lancer Evolution. The X-Trail strikes the best balance as it has enough room for your stuff and can handle a bit more severe, but still mild, offroading compared to the other choices except the Jimny.

As for me, I wouldn't pick any of these. I'd get the Suzuki Grand Vitara. I'm sure any of their engine variants available would be able to hit 6km/L. Its got the best of both worlds with Land Rover style unibody chassis with built in ladder frame. Its got THE best offroading prowess in its class along with good looks to boot.
    kung bibile din lang ako ng 2nd hand na CUV na hindi Jimny, CRV lang hahanapin ko. the thriftiest among all 2nd hand gasoline out there

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    para maiba naman... Jimny!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Help me choose: Jimny/Sportage/Tucson/X-Trail/Outlander