New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    On the topic of image and midsize V6 Jap car vs. compact I4/I6 Euro car, my opinion has changed a lot over the course of a few years.

Dati, pinipilit kong paniwalaan sa sarili ko na between a V6 Camry/Accord vs a 318i or C180 Kompressor, dun ako sa Camry/Accord. Mas madaming features eh. Mas malaki makina, mas malakas sa rektahan. Mas komportable kasi mas malambot ang suspension at mas maluwag. I tried to look at the car, not the badge. Mahilig din ako sa paper specs noon (well hanggang ngayon naman I try to keep myself up-to-date), and objectively speaking these Jap cars offered more bang-for-your-buck.

But eventually, narealize ko that you can never discount the badge. You can never dismiss the "image" that's associated with your car. Akala ko dati superficial lang yung mga tumitingin sa "dating" ng kotse. Pero hindi, in general, our society really thinks higher of Euro car owners than your regular Jap/Korean vehicle. Ngayon aminado ako na when looking at a car, kasali yung image sa considerations ko. It is as valid a criterion as comfort, speed, features and fuel efficiency. Like all other criteria though, it's still quite silly for me to base a purchase on just image alone (kaya ayoko pa rin ng 316i).

There's no point in coercing yourself to be partial to a particular car because "logic" dictates this and that. Some choices are really influenced by the heart.

In the end, the question to ask is simply, "are you happy with your car?" :drive1:

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Comparing a Jap executive midsize sedan to a Euro compact or midsize sedan is like comparing apples to oranges. Each one has its strong points. And in the end it will all boil down to the buyer's preferences. Some would want image above everything else. Others yet value ride comfort and performance with practicality. So which one is the TS exactly?

If I may, some other Euro suggestions I'd give is the Audi A6 and Volvo S60. Both are really good cars, the design is timeless, and resale value isn't as sky high as BMW's and Merc's. IMHO, the image these cars exude is more of a matured, sensible and successful sort as compared to the more youthful and flamboyant image exuded by a small BMW. And it doesn't take much thinking to know the former demands more real respect.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Ok yung Volvo in terms of comfort, power and everything else. Rode an S80 before then recently a new XC90, sarap. Pero ewan ko lang Parts kung alin mas available

4. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Nice to read your suggestions, they keep me awake again at to this time. Now I'm back to :seesaw: status

Here comes the E39 suggestion. I may get this horse instead of the smaller E90. If I will buy now, the E39 price is even lower than the E90 but when I consulted my finance manager, she prefer the younger as expected. If we arrive at a final decision between my two options (GS or D-max+E), if I may ask your help again. E39 or E90..

By the way, my definition of comfortable ride may not be as good as sitting at the backseat of a big luxury but at least I can sleep when wifey is on the wheel. Reduced bumps and noise from the tire struggling our usual road cracks, . .

As for the MB, Audi and the Volvo? It's just me okay, I think I feel younger in the BMW and boss I can't get a go signal. Our course, the Camry and the Accord, but you guys have a good reasoning about "image". I can't recall who quoted in another thread, 'mahihiya ang makakatabing civic'. Nabasa ko lang po yan, di ako may sabi.:dog:

For the pre-owned GS suggestion, considering that the car may just make 8K Km a year, I think it's wise but I can't really get some trust of the used GS dealers and its hard to find a direct seller unlike BMW. Any suggestion how to get a good pre-owed GS?

And did you know that in China, they call BMW "Bao Ma"? Mr. Google translated it as "precious horse".

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Both are really good cars, the design is timeless, and resale value isn't as sky high as BMW's and Merc's.
    Hindi naman ka-taasan ang resale value ng BMW.

Sumisipat ako ng E46 325i M Sport o E90 320d eh. Ang mataas resale value Benz talaga.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    Hindi naman ka-taasan ang resale value ng BMW.

Sumisipat ako ng E46 325i M Sport o E90 320d eh. Ang mataas resale value Benz talaga.
    Chedeng eh

(Di ko pa rin alam ibig sabihin nun haha)

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    If I may, some other Euro suggestions I'd give is the Audi A6 and Volvo S60. Both are really good cars, the design is timeless, and resale value isn't as sky high as BMW's and Merc's. IMHO, the image these cars exude is more of a matured, sensible and successful sort as compared to the more youthful and flamboyant image exuded by a small BMW. And it doesn't take much thinking to know the former demands more real respect.
    Resale value of Audi and Volvo are low because parts are much harder to find compared to BMW and MB.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by confused shoes View Post
    Nice to read your suggestions, they keep me awake again at to this time. Now I'm back to :seesaw: status

Here comes the E39 suggestion. I may get this horse instead of the smaller E90. If I will buy now, the E39 price is even lower than the E90 but when I consulted my finance manager, she prefer the younger as expected. If we arrive at a final decision between my two options (GS or D-max+E), if I may ask your help again. E39 or E90..

By the way, my definition of comfortable ride may not be as good as sitting at the backseat of a big luxury but at least I can sleep when wifey is on the wheel. Reduced bumps and noise from the tire struggling our usual road cracks, . .

As for the MB, Audi and the Volvo? It's just me okay, I think I feel younger in the BMW and boss I can't get a go signal. Our course, the Camry and the Accord, but you guys have a good reasoning about "image". I can't recall who quoted in another thread, 'mahihiya ang makakatabing civic'. Nabasa ko lang po yan, di ako may sabi.:dog:

For the pre-owned GS suggestion, considering that the car may just make 8K Km a year, I think it's wise but I can't really get some trust of the used GS dealers and its hard to find a direct seller unlike BMW. Any suggestion how to get a good pre-owed GS?

And did you know that in China, they call BMW "Bao Ma"? Mr. Google translated it as "precious horse".
    Kung maghahanap ka ng magandang 2nd hand na binebenta ng owner mismo, I suggest you check out the online ads first. Hanapin yung mga may pictures seemingly taken sa bahay nila. Then check if it is the only ad under the seller's profile. If it is, then we are 99% sure that it is the owner selling. Like this one for example: Sulit ID 5350692

With the Audi and Volvo kasi, you can get newer units as compared to the BMW's, with a similar budget. As for parts, since both have local casas, and with this sort of car you will most likely service it in the casa, I would not fret about scarcity of parts.

If you really like the E39, I suggest you get the newest unit you can get, and with the lowest mileage. Now this is one car that would not look old even tens of years from now. Here's one good example: Sulit ID 5330677

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    ^^^ There are more independent shops servicing MBs and BMWs compared to Audi and Volvo. Having these cars serviced at dealer will be costly so you might as well buy a later model MB or BMW even if it's more expensive.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Make sure na kaya mo yung maintenance.

Mahal na ang BMW, pero ang Audi naman minsan umaabot ng x5 yung price. Kaya big time talaga si SG.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Grand Starex against a D-max+E90 320i