New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nt3 View Post
    This is my friend's experience. Two years ago a close friend bought a 2000 release shark VR4 ... realization of his lifelong dream.

After paying 380k, he's the second owner of a car with barely 30k kilometers on it. Great deal at the time, or at least, that's what we all thought. In the first month he took it to the casa and had the shocks, joints and linkages replaced. About 3 months later the A/T just simply gave way. He wasn't speeding or pushing the car hard, just normal driving.

Anyway, the casa is asking for 120k to replace the A/T plus 10k for labor. Since he has to wait for 3 months for the A/T to be ordered from Japan, we decided to look for alternative parts. We managed to find a surplus A/T in Banawe and it originally cost 50k, but after 1 hour of haggling we got it for 40k.

He got the shark repaired outside the casa and drove it for a year and he finally sold it for 300k.

For the gas guzzling, its true. But then again, its has a 2.0 liter rev happy engine. If you can get past its flaws, the shark is a pleasure to drive. I drove it a couple of times going to Batangas and it easily goes to 160km/hr with no complaints from the engine. I don't even realize I'm going that fast until I look at the speedo.

In the end, its what you need to fulfill within you that counts. While the shark is a rugged and sporty ride, the Cefiro remains an elegant car that will make you feel you've arrived in style (btw, uniformed driver not included in the package ).

Hello po,

Ask ko lang kung tipid ba sa gas ung ganitong engine. 4g63a engine sohc. Balak ko kase bilhin ung 99mdl na galant shark AT. Reasonable price naba ung 110k? Salamat

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ramonthepsycho View Post
    Hello po,

Ask ko lang kung tipid ba sa gas ung ganitong engine. 4g63a engine sohc. Balak ko kase bilhin ung 99mdl na galant shark AT. Reasonable price naba ung 110k? Salamat
    Get a 6th gen Accord instead (1998-2002), preferably model year 2001 or 2002 due to lesser LTO registration cost. Midsize cars from model year 2000 and older have very costly LTO registration cost (more than 6k). The Galant shark model has been known to have week suspension parts.

Don't expect much in terms of fuel efficiency with midsize cars having engines 2.0L or bigger. You will be happy doing 6 km/L on city driving and 9-10 km/L on the highway.

With the 6th gen Accord, you have the option of a 2.0L or 2.3L engine mated to an MT tranny.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Yup sobrang mahal nga ng MVUC for those cars. I remember seeing the OR for a 1997 Camry, MVUC was 12k!

And LTO doesn't bother to recalculate based on newer formula, they just keep re-using the same MVUC over and over so forever ka na nagbabayad ng 12k/year on a car that's hardly worth 100k.

No wonder a lot of owners choose to scrap na lang their cars from that era.
    Last edited by Dr.Kamiya; January 8th, 2020 at 09:38 AM. Reason: '97 pala, not '94

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Galant Shark or Cefiro Elite (99-00)