19 32.20%
  • AWD part time (FWD default)

9 15.25%
  • AWD full time

28 47.46%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    +1 on tire quality and suspension generating grip, especially in a turn. Grip is not always a function of what tires are driven.

To take Pekto's example to the extreme...take a Land Cruiser LC200 and a humble 1959 Mini to the skidpad. I'll bet the Mini will outgrip the LC despite being "wrong-wheel drive"

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    +1 on tire quality and suspension generating grip, especially in a turn. Grip is not always a function of what tires are driven.

To take Pekto's example to the extreme...take a Land Cruiser LC200 and a humble 1959 Mini to the skidpad. I'll bet the Mini will outgrip the LC despite being "wrong-wheel drive"
    The LC200 is 4WD not AWD and of course it (mini) will outgrip and outlap the Rhino-like LC200

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hey, jun, nice article... click... save...

Here's a better example.

The Tuason Racing School's Ford Focus TDCi. It's been rollcaged and stripped, yes... but it still weighs a lot (over 1.3 tons). The only mods are a racing suspension and brake pads. Yet it posts lap times that are competitive with or even better than a 2000 Subaru WRX on the Subic Raceway (we watched these bad boys go at it)... even with about 100 less horses, smaller brakes and tires.

Why? It's all down to suspension tuning, baby. The WRX has more power and more cornering traction, but it has more understeer than the Focus does (big shock, huh?)... and the Focus's chassis is much stiffer than the older Subie's... against a new WRX, it might be another story, but remember... it still has much more power.

Suspension suspension suspension... my Lynx (stock suspension) has about 170 horses... I did 1:45 on the long track... which should be 1:43 or 1:44 if I'd driven it properly. The Subaru on the same tires as mine did 1:40... maybe 1:38 with more practice. The Focus has less power than either of us and weighs more than I do, but does it between 1:36 and 1:40.

Damn, I want that car...
    Last edited by niky; February 5th, 2008 at 12:28 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Here's an older but a good comparo of AWD, RWD, and FWD cars.

Motor Trend's 1989 Bang for The Buck (Mustang LX 5.0 was the winner)
    http://www.stangbangers.com/89_LX5-0_vs_Competition.htm
    lolz on my MKIII when it was stock! and I swear I saw that same article too not long ago (was posted on Supraforums). and yes the MKIII Supra was pathetically slow on some tests, like the on the 1/4 mile, which I think is innacurate since most MKIII owners take their car's at the mid 15 sec. range, and thats on the stock 7MGTE engine w/ high mileage. but I am surprised on how it performed well on the road course (despite its "de-tuned" engine and heavy weight).

aite, peace.
    Last edited by KBR; February 5th, 2008 at 12:04 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KBR View Post
    heres another kool video, ya'llz may have seen it before, but its a good example of a RWD vs AWD rain battle.

YouTube - Supra vs Rx7 vs EVO

aite, peace.
    I think that vid was also good example ABS sometimes doing more harm than good. The Evo was pretty fast around the track, but once the driver got on the brakes for that corner it was all over.
    Last edited by Dr.Kamiya; February 5th, 2008 at 12:45 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It'll also depend on ABS programming. The more sophisticated ones will allow you to put more braking power down... but non-ABS may be an advantage in certain corners. One big problem with ABS is that changing your brakes for better ones might be counter-productive if the ABS isn't reprogrammed for the better braking power.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KBR View Post
    lolz on my MKIII when it was stock! and I swear I saw that same article too not long ago (was posted on Supraforums). and yes the MKIII Supra was pathetically slow on some tests, like the on the 1/4 mile, which I think is innacurate since most MKIII owners take their car's at the mid 15 sec. range, and thats on the stock 7MGTE engine w/ high mileage. but I am surprised on how it performed well on the road course (despite its "de-tuned" engine and heavy weight).

aite, peace.
    I've seen stock Mk III's Supra turbos do better than the one in that 1989 MT article (low 6's 0-60). In fact they were quicker than the DSMs (a little bit). The drivers of those Supras have had plenty of time to develop their technique since they owned the cars.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 5th, 2008 at 04:31 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Super Select 4WD
    best of all worlds!!!

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HyBrideVo View Post
    The LC200 is 4WD not AWD and of course it (mini) will outgrip and outlap the Rhino-like LC200
    Exactly mate...

The exaggeration is meant to illustrate that drivetrain does not solely influence grip ;) There are a lot more factors...the simplest and most important of which is the TIRES you use!

A simple change to better tires, ceteris paribus, can already increase your grip/lateral acceleration.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If I were to buy a new sedan, I'd buy a new Subaru Legacy 3.0 R. Sure, I don't think AWD is a requirement for happiness. But if it comes with the car, who am I to complain? Besides, the new 3.0L "Flat Six" is very intriguing.

A 6-cyl Legacy? Wow. Almost lost this because of all the hype surrounding its smaller siblings.......
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 11th, 2008 at 07:32 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
FWD vs RWD vs AWD cars. Which do you prefer & why?