New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hitomi View Post
    in the Philippines sir, exclusivity and status symbols are still very much alive. the middle class do not have the purchasing power to buy even the basic model of all the luxury marques discussed (except if you buy subic sourced). the 12 million Php price of a full-specced 7 series is still too out of reach, even with the best of credit cards.

now that i bummed myself out - hehe-
    i hypothetically choose to buy an LS450 or an S8, with my hypothetical money

very true and I totally agree with that. hope that one day our economy in the Philippines would be the same as here in the US.. maybe in like 100 years!? jK!!! langya kasi ang mga corrupt na yan oh!!

aite, peace.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Considering the amount of tax imposed on the European cars, the market will definitely still be placing a huge premium over MB's (or European cars in general). That's why, for example, it still costs nearly twice as much for a W123 or W124 to be sold in Manila than it is to buy it elsewhere like in the US.

*Pekto, that could have been a very expensive oil change indeed

Here's a little window to view why people in the US buy an MB:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/merc...ercedes-7.html

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Considering the amount of tax imposed on the European cars, the market will definitely still be placing a huge premium over MB's (or European cars in general). That's why, for example, it still costs nearly twice as much for a W123 or W124 to be sold in Manila than it is to buy it elsewhere like in the US.

*Pekto, that could have been a very expensive oil change indeed

Here's a little window to view why people in the US buy an MB:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/merc...ercedes-7.html
    ^^ I also agree on that poll as well..^^

but IMO, I'd buy a Benz (1999-below) for its overall quality, handling and safety. also IMHO, nothing beats a braking system of a Mercedes-Benz even our old MB's can stop in a heartbeat and it handles well too

aite, peace.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KBR View Post

but IMO, I'd buy a Benz (1999-below) for its overall quality, handling and safety. also IMHO, nothing beats a braking system of a Mercedes-Benz even our old MB's can stop in a heartbeat and it handles well too

aite, peace.
    Yep, value for money talaga ang used Benz especially if you know what you're looking for and how to restore the car to its former glory.

+10 on the MB brakes. Man those things can stop the cars very well despite the mass (almost always 1500kg+ for each Benz). I can go on and on, but that goes to say that people buy a Benz not solely for its status, prestige and image but for many more attributes.

I believe the S class was also called the car of the year due to its ingenious use of recycled materials despite having a large, powerful engine and oodles of technology.

However I would admit that Audi is strongly catching up and has achieved equal or near equal status to BMW and Mercedes-Benz. According to some people, Audi's build quality surpasses the other German marques' as evidenced on some car magazine reviews and articles online.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KBR View Post

aite, peace.
    Not the W140.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    a quote from MOTORTREND comparo of luxury sedans.

In the end, the Lexus strikes us as ideal for CEOs who've made their fortunes plundering the earth's resources and want to appear to be making amends. It said little to us beyond "Forgive me; I'm not quite the guzzler I appear to be." Its smugness irked us almost as much as its undeserved 600 badge. We'd all sooner drive the tire-smoking LS 460L for $33K less, so it finishes fourth. The Jaguar Super V8 says "I'm a ladder-climbing establishment type who's made it." We respect that, we enjoyed thrashing and cruising in this supercharged boudoir, and we appreciate its (relative) value pricing, so it finishes third. The Mercedes-Benz S550 is arguably the best car here by all objective measures. It's suave-looking inside and out, performs admirably, pushes the technological envelope enough to remain relevant for years, commands valet respect nationwide, and says, "This plutocrat isn't afraid of the future."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Full-Size Sedan Battle: Lexus LS or MB S-Class and the other Germans