New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis818 View Post
    ..... 4wd is no longer a particular need as that need is taken cared of by a Strada 3.2 but I find the higher spec models are usually the 4wd. I wish car manufacturers would come up with higher spec 2wd for their models. .....
    +1 on this... it would have been better if a 4x2 version with same amenities/features of a 4x4 is available for all/most of SUVs in the market...

i really wanted a 4x2 since i am not really an offroader guy (well, not yet )... ended up buying a 4x4 since the additional features of the 4x4 are only available in 4x4s...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Thanks for all the inputs but still can't decide. Right now, trying to internalize if the P200,000 premium of the xtrail 4x4 is worth it compared to the forester 2.0x. The forester 2.5xt is out of the picture due to budget constraints.

For the extra P200,000, I get leather seats, 20 more horsepower and that's about it. From the inputs, ride quality is about the same so I'm still lost.

If you were on my shoes, would you pay that extra premium to get the Xtrail?
    if that's it and don't need the 4x4 feature then just go with the 4x2, but i suggest checking carefully baka may added features pa that's only available for the 4x4 you might like that's not available for the 4x2.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    These are the features that I remembered:

4x4 Xtrail
    1. 6 airbags
    2. Powerseats driver side
    3. Hyper roof rail
    4. Leather seats
    5. Xenon headlights
    6. 6 speakers

4x2 Xtrail
    1. 2 airbags
    2. Manual seat controls
    3. Fabric seats
    4. Halogen lamps
    5. 4 speakers (this is weird unless they don't count the tweeter. my 2.0L 2004 Xtrail has 6 speakers including tweeter.)

For me the 4x2 gives a better value unless 4x4 is a necessity. You can get the other features of the 4x4 for less than P200k. 6 airbags is nice but you don't really expect to use it much.

Compared to Forester 2.0 and CRV 2.0L, the Xtrail 4x2 is the best in this price range.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis818 View Post
    Among these choices X-Trail for me. Had the previous gen Xtrail and the ride was ok, FC was so-so but the utility (space), confidence building manner in offroad conditions, a/c was what made it memorable. I got the 4x4 mainly for the power.

I'm also on the fence now for a new SUV. Was interested at the Tucson Diesel and Sorento Diesel earlier but these aren't available.

Choosing between what's available: Sta. Fe 4x2 or 4x4 2.2R, ASX GLS SE, X-Trail 4x4. Was looking at the Forester also before but I think a refresh is coming soon while the 3 other choices offer something new. 4wd is no longer a particular need as that need is taken cared of by a Strada 3.2 but I find the higher spec models are usually the 4wd. I wish car manufacturers would come up with higher spec 2wd for their models.

Anyway, as you can see my choices are not even in the same category. But I like all 3 for what they offer: the highly regarded diesel of the the Sta. Fe, reliability and no fuss usability of the X-Trail, and the features of the ASX GLS SE.

Can you give me your comments on these choices.
    For me I would rank it like this

1. Sta Fe - mainly because it's a 7 seater. Engine is also the most powerful and has the best FC
    2. Xtrail 4x4 - very versatile on road and off road. Biggest cargo space. Xtrail is probably the best off roader amongst the soft roader category
    3. ASX - too small and expensive for my taste. The rear seats are not comfortable, better get the Lancer instead.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sachiel View Post
    These are the features that I remembered:

4x4 Xtrail
    1. 6 airbags
    2. Powerseats driver side
    3. Hyper roof rail
    4. Leather seats
    5. Xenon headlights
    6. 6 speakers

4x2 Xtrail
    1. 2 airbags
    2. Manual seat controls
    3. Fabric seats
    4. Halogen lamps
    5. 4 speakers (this is weird unless they don't count the tweeter. my 2.0L 2004 Xtrail has 6 speakers including tweeter.)

For me the 4x2 gives a better value unless 4x4 is a necessity. You can get the other features of the 4x4 for less than P200k. 6 airbags is nice but you don't really expect to use it much.

Compared to Forester 2.0 and CRV 2.0L, the Xtrail 4x2 is the best in this price range.
    -the xenon would make a huge difference compared to the halogen, especially or roads are dark at night compared to other countries.
    -power seats, although it doesn't matter to me if it's manual, but if a car has one then it's a plus for me. also if you're not the only one driving then it would be a great addition.
    -personally i have never ever needed my airbags, but when the time comes and i hope it doesn't i'd rather have 6 than just 2.

if it was me i'd get the 4x4 since the difference isn't that huge, at least in the end i won't be saying sana yung 4x2 na lang ang kinuha ko. the +20hp isn't really that much but i'm sold with the 4x4 because of the xenon, power seats and 6 airbags. just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by foresterx; September 30th, 2010 at 04:05 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Cars with 6 airbags are normally found in luxury vehicles so in fairness a 1.550M with 6 airbags is a good value for the money. But it's expensive to replace the airbags if deployed so drive carefully.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sachiel View Post
    Cars with 6 airbags are normally found in luxury vehicles so in fairness a 1.550M with 6 airbags is a good value for the money. But it's expensive to replace the airbags if deployed so drive carefully.
    it used to be that way, pero ngayon there are so many cars in the 1M price range that is equipped with 6 airbags which is really good for the consumers. i don't care how expensive it is to replace as long as it saves my life or lessen the damage i would get in an accident, then it's worth it for me.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    it used to be that way, pero ngayon there are so many cars in the 1M price range that is equipped with 6 airbags which is really good for the consumers. i don't care how expensive it is to replace as long as it saves my life or lessen the damage i would get in an accident, then it's worth it for me.
    Yup. Hopefully 6 airbags will become a standard feature these coming years.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Get the forester 2.0x if you want a softroader 4x4, after a few years when the warranty is over, slap on a big turbo and intercooler ...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Thanks for all the inputs but still can't decide. Right now, trying to internalize if the P200,000 premium of the xtrail 4x4 is worth it compared to the forester 2.0x. The forester 2.5xt is out of the picture due to budget constraints.

For the extra P200,000, I get leather seats, 20 more horsepower and that's about it. From the inputs, ride quality is about the same so I'm still lost.

If you were on my shoes, would you pay that extra premium to get the Xtrail?

For me, the Forester 2.0X is enough, it has enough airbags, good visibility, good handling, better quality.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Forester 2.0x or new Xtrail 2.5 4x4 or CRV 2.4 4x4