New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    *rocha:
    "I really like the Civic better. and I really love the vtec technology, kaya I think its hard for me to believe that the Ford Focus has better fuel economy than a Civic. Although, I haven't really encountered a TDCi Focus yet. "
    huh?? do you really think vtec is more fuel efficient than a diesel engine?? well i guess you have never driven any diesels for that matter.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    siguro kasi target market nila is former honda civic SiR owners

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Focus TDCi (altho lumabas na yung Dual-clutch version nito so you might wanna wait for that). Mas maganda pa design.
    Last edited by Horsepower; May 3rd, 2008 at 03:53 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Why are you even comparing apples and oranges?

The Focus is a damn sight more expensive so it SHOULD be better. C'mon. This comparison is flawed.

I agree. Not only that, the FF is oriented more as a performance car kaya walang AT while the Civic is geared more toward (a somewhat sporty) daily diving.
    Last edited by pup2; May 3rd, 2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: additional

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Spec for spec they're not even a match.

If you have Focus TDCi money, what business would you have looking at a relatively humble FD1 Civic 1.8S? You'd have to be a hardcore devotee of the manual transmission to pick between two obviously dissimilar cars because that's pretty much the only thing common to both.

If you had Focus TDCi money...forget the FD1 Civic. Scoot over to the Subaru dealer for a real rival. Then we'll talk.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    no matter which way you look at it..theyre both economy cars.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SaberRider View Post
    Only difference now is that how much of the engine you can modify for performance? That's where a gas engine will win over a diesel hands down.
    Well... if you turbocharge the gas engine. Otherwise, the TDCi has a distinct advantage of being turbocharged as stock.

With a Unichip piggyback (check out http://forum.fordclubph.com for the gory details, it's in car-talk somewhere), the TDCi makes about 136 whp. Comparing it with like cars on the same dyno, that's about 175 bhp (my chipped Lynx RS, IHE SiRs and semi-modified blacktops make around 136 on this dyno). That's just with the chip. Stock makes about 150 bhp on overboost.

Oh... and before I forget. That's 136 whp in fourth gear. Due to torque multiplication, the TDCi already makes 136 whp as stock in 3rd gear... ...so, with the Unichip, it's either a 175 bhp car or a 185 bhp car. Take your pick which you like better... :hysterical:

They're still looking for ways to relieve some of the heat soak and free up the exhaust, intake doesn't work, exhaust is under testing, but other CRDis can and have been tuned to about 200 bhp. That's more than you'll ever need on the street, and more than you can get out of the Civic 2.0S short of swapping in a lot of stuff from the Si.

It's doable. But it'll take some time and research.

-----

Fuel economy? Not even close. We had to get into ass-slow, crawling, gridlocked Divisoria-level traffic to get the Focus down to 9 km/l. In ordinary rush hour, it refused to go below 13 km/l. And on the highway? 16-20 km/l as long as you don't drive like a dweeb. And even when you drive like a dweeb on the highway, drag-racing every single SiR or Corolla that buzzes by you at full blast, you'll still get 11-13 km/l. Great car. You'd need a 1.3 City or Vios to approach that economy in the city.
    Last edited by niky; May 4th, 2008 at 01:08 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

If I have the money, and I only have to choose between these two cars, I'll go for the Ford Focus TDCi.

My wife can't drive it though, as she can't drive M/T, so I'm sure she'll be rooting for the A/T variant of the Civic....

5909:burn:

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    The Focus TDCi wins the fuel economy / consumption test.

But what about the cost of maintenance ( in terms of consummables and parts in both short and long term)? Which one is better. Focus TDCi or Civic 1.8S?

Also read (from previous posts) that the clutch on the TDCi is "indestructable", is this a hyperbole or if its really that durable then it must be as hard as the clutch of a new GD Patrol? Paging Niky. :D

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ford focus tdci for me even if its focus tdci 2.0 vs civic 2.0s, still focus nowadays you have to keep in mind that fuel prices are going high. you have to use a fuel efficient one, and focus tdci is the one without sacrificing performance and looks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Ford Focus (Diesel) TDci vs Honda Civic 1.8s