New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    His mother thinks the Jazz is too small.

Ang problema, his parents, who will pay for the car, shoot down so many good options.
    Jazz is nearly as big as my 99 Corolla GLi with the Jazz has bigger interior seating room pa!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Get a truck. There's the Hilux, Navara, and Strada. All of 'em have variants that sell under 1.2m (even under 1m ). Forget the D-Max if you need comfort.

Your checklist:

Fuel economy. check.
    Value-for-money. check.
    Relatively new /or/ long lasting design (like the Civic or Altis). relative.
    Modest interior room. hell yes.
    Decent power and torque. decent. all are slower than our 2.0 VVT-i.but consider power/weight ratio.
    Preferrably: bells and whistles XDD 4x4, LSD, ICE, all are within reach...especially with the 100-150k leftover budget.

I don't even have to talk about flood fording when it comes to pickups.
    Last edited by roberto_minosa; October 5th, 2010 at 10:36 AM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yun una ko suggestion. I forgot to mention that his parents hate Korean. Hassle pa makipagtalo so the Tucson, though it's the most apt, is out of the equation.
    It's very simple. Tell then the ASX has a Korean engine.

-

If you want to go further... how about the fact that everyone in the big TV market nowadays is licensing Korean LCD technology. That some of the best appliances nowadays are Korean... my LG ref and washing machines are the best I've ever had... less troublesome and more durable than comparable Japanese ones!

His mother thinks the Jazz is too small.

Ang problema, his parents, who will pay for the car, shoot down so many good options.
    I think the easiest way to change their minds will be to have your friend take them with him to the dealership. The Jazz is wider and has more front crush space than many 90's compacts, and has better crash safety, to boot. In fact, it has better crash safety than a mid-90's Accord!

Not to mention the fact that it has tons of cargo space.

This should also sway them in case the guy wants a Tucson. A clubmate's wife was vehemently anti-Korean-car. They visited the showroom and sat in the Sonata and... guess what? She bought it. On the spot.

-

For flood fording, I wouldn't pick the ASX... not really tall enough to get for that reason. Neither would I pick the Escape or CR-V.. air intakes waaay too low. If he wants something completely flood-protected and cheap, he should buy a manual transmission Crosswind. That's Japanese, durable and economical, with tons of space. Of course, I'd understand if he didn't want one...

Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    Modest interior room. hell yes.
    :hysterical:

I would actually suggest looking at pick-ups. The Strada at under 1m already has power windows and a direct injection engine. Or... if we're looking at absolutely flood-proof, the Ranger and D-Max have non-direct injection base models... the base D-Max uses the venerable Crosswind engine... so it'll be ultra-slow and safe, to boot...
    Last edited by niky; October 5th, 2010 at 10:38 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Get a Navarra 4x2 A/T. Loads of power, high clearance, much better flood crossing capabilities, relatively fuel efficient (5-speed A/T), macho machine.

Pero Focus TDCi ako kung yung dalawa lang ang pagpipilian. And the most comprehensive insurance from a very reliable insurance company.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    pick up pwede din kahit yung hilux 2.5g pwedeng pwede nung ondoy halos half nung hilux nakalubog pero umandar padin

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if it's under 1.2M pesos and to be used for unexpected high floods, i would suggest to get a DMAX 4x2 AT... it has higher ground clearance than the Navara 4x2, leather upholstery, touch screen DVD, standard backup sensors, and more fuel efficient. regarding its ride quality, front suspension is soft, but stiff at the rear, but this is already anticipated because it is a truck...

we also chose the DMAX due to its availablity of automatic transmission in a 4x2 pickup with a 4x4 stans under the same budget of 1.2M pesos... we did considered the Navara 4x2 AT, but close friends who own one say they really are not that fuel efficient (that's what they say)...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    1.2M? i'd get a tucson for that budget...

still hate korean tech? please stop living in the 90's...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    Get a truck. There's the Hilux, Navara, and Strada. All of 'em have variants that sell under 1.2m (even under 1m ).
    +1 on this.. get a truck.. Hilux or Strada for me.. tough, practical and versatile.. plus gwapo! haha!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    ito nalang honda foreman 4x4. ATV. ahehe

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I've finally knocked some sense into him to consider the Focus. When I asked him to set what he really prioritizes, the flooding thing isn't as important as having something to drive around that's economical and easy to run. I haven't suggested a truck though. I'll see what he thinks on that.

With his parents' Korean and subcompact issue, I won't bother touching up on that. Old dogs can't be taught new tricks, especially if the old dogs aren't your own parents. It's their family thing, I don't wanna meddle.

When I reiterated that the ASX was a non-flood wading, cramped gaz guzzler, he seemed to let go of it. :D

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Focus TDCi vs ASX