New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    im planning to buy my first car my budget is around 150k, i narrowed down my choices to the following

first generation Honda City
    Nissan Sentra Super Saloon Series3
    Nissan Sentra Super Saloon Series4
    Toyota Corola

>im aiming for a car i can use for long distance driving it doesnt matter how the car looks outside more important is its interior
    >fuel efficient
    >be easy to maintain.
    >will nto give me headache in the long run

i know toyota corolla has a good reputation when it comes to durability, maintenance and availability/cheapness of parts
    but which toyota corolla variant should fit me(model, year)
    i heard that sentra series 3 is better than series 4 coz s4 got a heavier machine that causes more fuel consumption
    some says ill should go for Honda for over all performnce and its reputation here in the philippines

considering above models are in good condition which amongst will you recommend
    please help me for i dont know much about cars and this will be my first car EVER.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I say, get the best maintained car.

To be perfectly honest, people look up to Hondas and Toyotas than Nissans.

Still, a pretty beaten up Corolla or City wont stand up to it's famous reliability and durability versus and well maintained Sentra or either way around.

But since you are getting used, use the lesser resale of the Nissan to your advantage.

The most practical choice would be a 98-00 Sentra EX Saloon (Either S4 or Exalta EX body) 1.4L EFI Manual Transmission.

98-00 models are all powered already. 1.4L has decent punch and better FC than the 1.6L. Nissan are also very easy to maintain. Contrary to hoax most people thought of Nissans.

Advantages: Im sure you can get a unit for less than the price of either City or Corolla of same model year. Say, you may be able to get a 99-00 Sentra for a price of a 96-97 City/Corolla. Lesser years used higher chance of getting lower mileage unit. Also, Sentras are using timing chains so there are no fragile belts to snap. And uses a sturdy beam axle suspension.

Next would be the 96 City 1.3EXi or 98 City 1.3LXi/1.5EXi
    Quick, refined small car, fun to hustle and fuel efficient. Spartan interior though.

Last would be the Corolla. For the same price as the Sentra, you just maybe able to get a 96-97 XE or a 98-99 XL. If you are lucky enough then maybe a 2000 XL with power steering already. Very spartan, very basic, no EFi but still fuel efficient, very easy to maintain. but it just sucks that for the price, you felt like you just got a steering, pedals, shifter and 5 seats. No extra something.

Next would have been the 97 Honda City LXi 1.3 EFI.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    All things being equal, meaning pare-parehas ang kundisyon ng mga auto, I'd still go for a Corolla primarily because madali makabili ng pyesa ng Corolla compared to the Sentra and City. May City kami dati sa office it was a 98 model na lowest variant (Di I think), hirap na hirap kami sa pyesa nun, I remember the time when we had to change the CV joint naka 5 balik kami sa auto supply bago tumama yung parts. Sa Sentra naman we had a few before, if I remember correctly meron kaming 1.4 JX, 1.3 LEC saka 1.6 SGX na box type, all of those were part of our fleet sa office, sa pagkakaalala ko ok naman ang Sentra yun nga lang medyo malakas sa gas.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    I say, get the best maintained car.

To be perfectly honest, people look up to Hondas and Toyotas than Nissans.

Still, a pretty beaten up Corolla or City wont stand up to it's famous reliability and durability versus and well maintained Sentra or either way around.

But since you are getting used, use the lesser resale of the Nissan to your advantage.

The most practical choice would be a 98-00 Sentra EX Saloon (Either S4 or Exalta EX body) 1.4L EFI Manual Transmission.

98-00 models are all powered already. 1.4L has decent punch and better FC than the 1.6L. Nissan are also very easy to maintain. Contrary to hoax most people thought of Nissans.

i'm also thinking of going to Sentra so i can get a much latest model vs honda and toyota.

so your saying to get 1.4L for beter FC, anyway most of the time ako baby ko at misis ko lang naman sasakay.
    anung exact variant ng Sentra should i go for. alam ko may ex saloon may eccs, may super saloon, series 3 or series 4, may super touring.. nakakalito masyado sa sobrang dami model especially sa tulad ko na pabasa basa lang ng forums. sabi nila i should stay away for carburated cars and look for EFI. pelase help me select the Nissan Sentra model that will suit me. again no idea talaga ako.

im still open for all other options but +1 na ko sa sentra.

is Sentra fuel efficient? ano fuel consumption ng 1.4L?
    also should i consider converting to LPG?

Thanks much sa mga replies. godbless.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    basically,
    less electronics = less headache

pero sakin, corolla, in the long run, kaw din magbebenefit, hindi mahirap magmaintain.

in my experience, pagnagiinquire ako sa mekaniko, ang kadalasang reply sakin
    "sus, corolla lang pala" (bigbody), which is, a plus sakin, atleast madalali lang maaayus auto ko.

but still, your call.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Honda! prestige, exclusivity.

-Honda fanboi

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I suggest you get the newest, in best condition EFI Sentra you can find. If you do not load a lot or drive enthusiastically in your highway runs, then I suppose even the 1.4L EX Saloon should be fine with you as even that should be well capable of at least around 160-170km/h. However, the 1.6L models are not that expensive so if you're on that much of a tight budget, might as well go all the way. The most important thing is that the car is well maintained.

With the Corolla, you'd get much, much older models for your money as compared to the Nissan's and the parts/maintenance cost, durability and performance levels of the same generation of the then big three (Corolla, Lancer, Sentra) is pretty much similar. For the money you use to buy a 12 year old Sentra, you may only be able to get a Corolla of the same trim level five years older.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    salamat sa mga nag reply.. malaking tulong mga inputs nyo. yeah i will definitely go to Nissan rather than Toyota for i can get a much higher model.

but is it worth getting a honda city Lxi/Exi VS nissan sentra s3 2000 or early 2000 model? halos same price range lang kase yung dalawa at almost di naman nagkakalayo yung model year.. thanks sa mga reply. godbless!

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rey piñoco View Post
    salamat sa mga nag reply.. malaking tulong mga inputs nyo. yeah i will definitely go to Nissan rather than Toyota for i can get a much higher model.

but is it worth getting a honda city Lxi/Exi VS nissan sentra s3 2000 or early 2000 model? halos same price range lang kase yung dalawa at almost di naman nagkakalayo yung model year.. thanks sa mga reply. godbless!
    The Honda City would be faster and more fuel efficient than the Sentra 1.4. The Sentra IMHO looks better and is more spacious.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Top of the line Sentras usually have a driver's side airbag and anti lock brakes. Features unheard of in its class at the time. Super Saloon is usually the top of the line model with special editions like the Super Touring and GTS models. Both of which are cosmetic upgrades to the SS model.

first gen city or sentra series 3 or corolla?