New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    If so, why does he still want a manual?
    The same reason he wants a diesel: fuel economy. And manuals are easier to maintain. His arthritis isn't THAT debilitating mind you, but my mother-in-law figures he'll have 3-4 years to enjoy his new ride before he bequeathes it to us, so if he wants to make the most out of it happily zipping around in a manual, so be it. Besides, he's used to shifting on his own, and we're talking about a guy who wants to keep himself busy after he retires in a couple of years, so I guess him still driving a stick shift is all the more apropos.

Quote Originally Posted by GTi
    As for ease of driving and comfort, I'll be suggesting the Santa Fe.
    The only chance we can own a diesel Santa Fe within the set budget would be to check out late-model cars repossessed by the banks. One benefit is that someone else already dealt with the initial depreciation, but then there's always a chance that a previous owner left some nasty hidden defects, especially out of spite if the car had been used for only a year or less.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; January 19th, 2012 at 12:01 AM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I would not be getting the Sta. Fe, the interior is just not very good for the price they are asking for the vehicle. It is very bland inside made with cheap materials. I would wait for the next gen Sta. Fe

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    The same reason he wants a diesel: fuel economy. And manuals are easier to maintain. His arthritis isn't THAT debilitating mind you, but my mother-in-law figures he'll have 3-4 years to enjoy his new ride before he bequeathes it to us, so if he wants to make the most out of it happily zipping around in a manual, so be it. Besides, he's used to shifting on his own, and we're talking about a guy who wants to keep himself busy after he retires in a couple of years, so I guess him still driving a stick shift is all the more apropos.

The only chance we can own a diesel Santa Fe within the set budget would be to check out late-model cars repossessed by the banks. One benefit is that someone else already dealt with the initial depreciation, but then there's always a chance that a previous owner left some nasty hidden defects, especially out of spite if the car had been used for only a year or less.
    Hehe~ Our old man had been driving a manual until he reached his 70s and had four successive back surgeries. That was when we convinced him to get a matic car.

By the looks of this the MS would seem to be the best choice for him both comfort-wise and maintenance-wise although I've been hearing reports that the clutch of the MS is a tad hard. It'll be best to let him test drive each one before he makes his choice.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Old folks can drive Land Rovers with super stiff clutches. Even ernest hemmingway did. The mitsu clutch is lighter. The shifter is a bit trucky with long throws. Hehe

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    The mitsu clutch is lighter. The shifter is a bit trucky with long throws. Hehe
    Couldn't be much worse than on the Adventure. :D

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yep, that's it! hehehe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Father-in-law in search of new SUV