New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Technically, a CVT should be quicker than a traditional AT, but it's more about the power-to-weight and power-to-drag of these two cars. Both the Lancer paddle-shift CVT and the Honda paddle-shift 5AT are very responsive (the Lancer a bit more so) and would do well on the racetrack.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    When you manually shift the Lancer cvt, it has short 1, 2, 3 gears. 4, mid, 5, 6, longish too.
    So, just put it in Ds, mash it, it'll rev to 4 - 5k and stay there, until "5th" gear. Then it'll shift to 6th.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    i think if you wanna go fast, it is very stupid to use the paddle shift on a CVT. It's contradicting. CVT is a gearless tranny. The usual 6 pre set speeds (or 7 pre set speed on GD City)are there for use in gear or speed holding sort of engine braking which is yes, ideal on track. But not there to go fast. As for CVT, leave it to drive and mash the pedal to the metal. Only way to go fast.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    I know I know, I'm just saying if you'd use the manual shift in the CVT tranny, experience would be the same w/ the civic.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    bench racing.
    on speedlab's dastek dynamometer a stock civic FD 2litre automatic registers at 126.5hp. it would be interesting to see the lancer gt-a and gt on the same dyno.

on a physics stand point given a long enough straight top speed is only minimally if not at all affected by weight. so with everything else being equal top speed will be a function of a cars power, coefficient of drag and total frontal area and in certain cases if a car produces enough power to pull redline in top gear, final drive and gear ratio will determine top speed. i don't think both the civic and lancer can redline in 5th and 6th gears respectively.

acceleration is a different matter however. Force= mass * acceleration therefore acceleration = force/mass. acceleration will be inversely proportional to mass. all else equal the lighter car will get up to speed quicker than the heavier one.

share ko nadin i used to own a civic fd 2.0 matic. no bodykit. 225/45-17 tyres. modified it put down 144.5 hp at the wheels. sa sctex was able to max out at 206kph time and time again smack right at 6k rpm. i'm pretty sure i wasn't on a downhill grade but i cannot ascertain also if i was on a flat road or a slight incline or if any head or tail wind was present. kinuwento ko kay sir ferman lao of speedlab sabi nya that probably is top speed already.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's an automatic, so it's probably speed-limited by the transmission.

At 144 whp on the Speedlab dyno, and given the incredibly slick aerodynamics of the Civic, you should be able to hit 220 or so, given the right conditions.

126 is damn healthy. That's up there with the Focus TDCi (yeah, yeah, it's rated at 135 bhp, but its a turbo and it has an overboost function that's theoretically good for another 20 hp). It's even more impressive, given your FD is an automatic.

I think the Lancer dynos around 125-130 whp at Speedlab... but in terms of top speed, it'll be hampered by the larger frontal area compared to the Civic, and the extra length will cause some extra drag.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    sir what about a mazda3 2.0r will it be a vios victim?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Mazda3 2.0R is about 10.5 - 11 seconds. Vios 1.5 is around 11.5 or more, if automatic. At higher speeds, though, the Mazda will be much quicker.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Mazda3 2.0R is about 10.5 - 11 seconds. Vios 1.5 is around 11.5 or more, if automatic. At higher speeds, though, the Mazda will be much quicker.
    OT: Whoa! This shows that 1.5 M/T Vios is a pocket rocket! We should have a thread of possible vios victims...

Going back, I agree that because of aerodynamics (given drivers with the same skill level), the 2.0 fd will outrun the 2.0 EX.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    i would bet on the lancer ex
    Last edited by Gen. Miting; June 18th, 2010 at 05:14 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234