New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Brand new units:
    Toyota Camry 2.4V (1.7M pesos) vs Volvo V50 2.0L (1.8M pesos) or Volvo S40 2.0L (1.8M pesos)?

I just came from Volvo showroom and noticed the Volvo V50.
    I know the Volvo S40 is not really officially an executive car but let us say that it will be used by a company executive.

Alin mas maganda for an executive car? Criteria:

1) Value for money
    2) Gasoline mileage
    3) Build quality and Maintenance costs
    4) Porma image
    5) Resale value
    6) Ride comfort

Your thoughts and inputs please.
    Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by civic1990 View Post
    Brand new units:
    Toyota Camry 2.4V (1.7M pesos) vs Volvo V50 2.0L (1.8M pesos) or Volvo S40 2.0L (1.8M pesos)?

I just came from Volvo showroom and noticed the Volvo V50.
    I know the Volvo S40 is not really officially an executive car but let us say that it will be used by a company executive.

Alin mas maganda for an executive car? Criteria:

1) Value for money
    2) Gasoline mileage
    3) Build quality and Maintenance costs
    4) Porma image
    5) Resale value
    6) Ride comfort

Your thoughts and inputs please.
    Thanks.
    1. Camry
    2. Volvo
    3. Camry
    4. Volvo (definitely)
    5. Camry
    6. Camry

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Eto pala pic ng VOLVO V50.

Pic ng VOLVO S40

Pic ng TOYOTA Camry

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I'm not sure about the Volvo V50 but the S40 is just a rebadged Ford Focus (albeit with finer accessories) which means that S40 is probably as engaging to drive as a Focus (i haven't driven an S40 yet).

If you really want an Exec car, put in a little more and get either an Audi A4 series, BMW 3 or MB C class (±2.5M)

or Accord 3.5 VCM (2M)
    Last edited by Horsepower; March 29th, 2010 at 10:48 AM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Volvo S40 is based on the Focus, but with much better interior materials and insulation. Definitely feels more solid than the Camry, but it's nowhere near as big inside, and I've heard it's not the best driving of the C-platform (Focus/Mazda3/Volvo S40) triplets (supposedly, it's the Focus... supposedly because I haven't driven the new 3 yet).

Good as a solo executive car... but if you want something with a nice back-seat, stick with the Accord/Camry class.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    1) Value for money - camry, cheaper parts
    2) Gasoline mileage - camry
    3) Build quality and Maintenance costs - build quality = equal ;; maintenance costs = camry, definitely
    4) Porma image - volvo, for sure.
    5) Resale value - camry. baba resale value ng volvo
    6) Ride comfort - nakasakay na ko sa s40 ... so, volvo. i haven't ridden on a camry tho'.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    mag mazda 6 ka nalang, trust me this car doesnt get the respect it deserves...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As an executive car, the Camry is the better choice.

The Volvo S40 is small and cramp inside, especially if you compare it to the Camry.

Also in the long run, you'll probably have maintenance problems with the Volvo because parts would nearly always be "out of stock" or order direct from abroad.

Overall, Subaru Legacy GT wagon pa din ako.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by daimengrui View Post
    mag mazda 6 ka nalang, trust me this car doesnt get the respect it deserves...
    It is still simply too small to be compared with a Camry or Teana. The Mazda6 is only slightly bigger than a Mazda3 but much smaller than a Camry.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    define much smaller? last time i checked the Camry was only 3 inches longer and an inch wider than the mazda 6.

also the volvo s40 is narrower than the mazda 6 while having almost the same length. however the interior dimensions of the mazda 6 is bigger than the s40 which makes it a better 2nd choice.

dont get me wrong, the camry is a nice car but theres no more executive feel to it. its as common as the FD. Everytime I drop off my mom in shang mall I can see six or five camrys lining up

On a head to head comparison from the TS criteria I would say:

1) Value for money - Mazda 6
    2) Gasoline mileage - Camry
    3) Build quality and Maintenance costs - Tie (I would put Mazda 6 for Build Q. and Camry for Maintenance cost if these were separate categories)
    4) Porma image - Mazda 6
    5) Resale value - Mazda 6 (Camry recall? Even if were not affected here andun parin ung doubt)
    6) Ride comfort - Tie

I would add

7) Handling Dynamics - Mazda 6
    8) Suspension - Camry (but only by a nudge)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Executive Car:  Toyota Camry vs Volvo V50 / S40