New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I used to own a 2001 Sentra Exalta Grandeur:
    - Performance is quite good (even with no mods, kayang-kaya niya ang 180kph on a flat highway... which is it's speed limited top speed).
    - FC was around 7.5 to 8+lkm/L in the city and around 11km/L on the highway.
    - Suspension is soft and the car has good insulation. Problems is that the suspension is too soft that when your shocks are old/soft already, there is a tendency for the rear to bottom out at road humps, dips or climbs.
    - The engine Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor should be cleaned with electric contact cleaner every 10,000kms or so (not that hard as long as you have the proper hex screw/wrench); it's sensitive to dirt so when the MAF is dirty, engine response at the higher rpm range is noticeably nonexistent (hirap) and you'll encounter engine detonation or tope. you might encounter this with some units you test drive so it's good to know that it's a simple fix.
    - The weakness of this model was that the power door lock actuators and antenna were easily broken.

As for the City; i find that model just too plasticky and thin when i look at the build and finish. The 1.5L VTEC models were fast and peppy though, if i recall correctly.

Keep your options open and test drive several units of both the City and Exalta. Go with what you feel would be the best for you and your wife.
    we also had the 2002 grandeur gs with the vcd system with 6 disc changer (broke after a few years). was able to hit 175kph-180kph max in star toll. pretty reliable aside from the locks. handling is not very sporty but it was comfortable to drive. steering is lighter than i wanted it to be. as mentioned suspension is on the soft side so it easily bottoms out in the humps especially if medyo luma na un suspension.

imo, i still think this is a way better pick than the honda city.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle618 View Post
    we also had the 2002 grandeur gs with the vcd system with 6 disc changer (broke after a few years). was able to hit 175kph-180kph max in star toll. pretty reliable aside from the locks. handling is not very sporty but it was comfortable to drive. steering is lighter than i wanted it to be. as mentioned suspension is on the soft side so it easily bottoms out in the humps especially if medyo luma na un suspension.

imo, i still think this is a way better pick than the honda city.
    with a new set of gas shocks, naayos din yung pag bottom out. we just use the Paraut brand on our N16 before and oks na siya.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    finally got a 2001 exalta ds. the one with no moon roof. with 17 mags tubeless tires. quite a good deal I think for 160k. 100k cash and 2 30k pdc. have it checked and everything seems fine except the pair of front gas shocks and the front tires. some interior trims worn out but still OK. I already have the shocks replaced for P4,400 each including labor. do you guys think this is just fine reasonable?

ride is awesome! hope it will stay this good for long. though I understand this is a 13year old car.

thanks to the tsikoters' advises!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Where did you buy your shocks and what brand? A good source for Nissan parts is Advance (Pasay), Youngbros (Banawe) and Nisway (Ligaya, near Marcos Highway).

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by arkiyore View Post
    finally got a 2001 exalta ds. the one with no moon roof. with 17 mags tubeless tires. quite a good deal I think for 160k. 100k cash and 2 30k pdc. have it checked and everything seems fine except the pair of front gas shocks and the front tires. some interior trims worn out but still OK. I already have the shocks replaced for P4,400 each including labor. do you guys think this is just fine reasonable?

ride is awesome! hope it will stay this good for long. though I understand this is a 13year old car.

thanks to the tsikoters' advises!
    Congrats! Post pics!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    MT yung N16 Exalta DS, di ba? GS kasi yung model na 4AT. Kung ganun, halos same ito sa later models na N16 Sentra GSX. Mas maganda arangkada nito compared sa GS 4AT models.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The DS i think is also a 1.5L; we had service cars na ganyan sa office years ago and it was a favorite for use by management when they had to go to the provincial branches.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123