New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by arkiyore View Post
    Ah, thanks! That's not bad at all for an AT right?

How's the performance of his car? Does this model has costly maintenance and spare parts? compared to honda/toyota?

Sorry for too many questions. I actually prefer honda but my wife really likes the looks of the exalta. :-)

the performance is good daw....
    nope, maintenance is really reasonable.... parts are sufficient.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I used to own a 2001 Sentra Exalta Grandeur:
    - Performance is quite good (even with no mods, kayang-kaya niya ang 180kph on a flat highway... which is it's speed limited top speed).
    - FC was around 7.5 to 8+lkm/L in the city and around 11km/L on the highway.
    - Suspension is soft and the car has good insulation. Problems is that the suspension is too soft that when your shocks are old/soft already, there is a tendency for the rear to bottom out at road humps, dips or climbs.
    - The engine Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor should be cleaned with electric contact cleaner every 10,000kms or so (not that hard as long as you have the proper hex screw/wrench); it's sensitive to dirt so when the MAF is dirty, engine response at the higher rpm range is noticeably nonexistent (hirap) and you'll encounter engine detonation or tope. you might encounter this with some units you test drive so it's good to know that it's a simple fix.
    - The weakness of this model was that the power door lock actuators and antenna were easily broken.

As for the City; i find that model just too plasticky and thin when i look at the build and finish. The 1.5L VTEC models were fast and peppy though, if i recall correctly.

Keep your options open and test drive several units of both the City and Exalta. Go with what you feel would be the best for you and your wife.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    What specific model of the Exalta Grandeur are you looking at? There were 2 GS models introduced - the Exalta Grandeur with the Panasonic pop-up VCD player plus leather seats and the Exalta Grandeur Superio with the moonroof plus soft clothe seats. Both models have the QG16 engine mated to a 4AT tranny plus a whole bunch of safety features like ABS, airbags, etc. Please take note that Nissan recommends 95RON fuel for the QG16 engine.

My old ride was a Exalta Grandeur Superio. It was doing about 8 km/L on city driving conditions and about 12 km/L on the highway. It has a comfort-oriented ride and a stable cruiser on the highway. Don't expect a zippy drive with the N16 chassis as this is a bit heavy for a compact. The QG16 does offer good low-end torque (below 2k rpm) to get that heavy chassis to cruising speed. The Exalta Grandeur series has good insulation and it serves well on long highway drives or if you are into car audio, the additional cushioning inside the doors help eliminate unwanted vibrations on speaker installations. The car is quite stable even at high speeds (as stated by vinj above) but be sure to use good tires.

Another major concern for this chassis is its propensity to eat front suspension bushings. The heavy body puts a good amount of stress on the front suspension that you need to check it every 6 months when used within Metro Manila conditions. Make sure to test drive the car and open the windows to hear the metalllic noises from the front as the car's insulation can hide the sounds sometimes. Though this concern can easily be attended to with a constant checkup routine with a good suspension shop like Cruven or Zee.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^ i personally like the GS Superio model (moonroof) over the Grandeur. We had the Grandeur and the LCD TV display started to malfunction after several years. the only mods we had was an K&N intake and 15 inch rims on 195/55R15 tyres.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    the vcd and/or the moonroof is actually not important to me. i'd prefer none of these features. i think 03 models doesn't have these anymore. I might be wrong.

thanks for the replies guys. really appreciate it!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I miss the moonroof/sunroof of my Exalta. The glass on the roof has a built-in shade and internal matting. I like the amount of sunlight it allows to come in but not much of the heat. Another thing, the Exalta Grandeur has auto climate control so make sure to check the controls and temperature settings are working.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by arkiyore View Post
    Thanks! Nice to hear this. I think I will be going for Exalta.
    try to look for the 1.6 a/t models without the LCD screen/ electronic borloloy. they probably won't be working anymore anyway. maybe it's just me but it's annoying to have these things tapos useless rin.

sold mine a few years ago and i think it's a pretty good car.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mda_ View Post
    try to look for the 1.6 a/t models without the LCD screen/ electronic borloloy. they probably won't be working anymore anyway. maybe it's just me but it's annoying to have these things tapos useless rin.

sold mine a few years ago and i think it's a pretty good car.
    noted on this! thanks!

if ever i got one with these features still working, i'm afraid it won't last long. so its ok not to have these na lang.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If they do work, you won't have use for them anymore. These electronics were still in the VCD era. It will be much better to take them out and replace them with better/newer car audio players with DVD, USB, Bluetooth, and SD capability.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    If they do work, you won't have use for them anymore. These electronics were still in the VCD era. It will be much better to take them out and replace them with better/newer car audio players with DVD, USB, Bluetooth, and SD capability.
    Exactly! I hope to get a good deal soon. I'll give feedbacks later para din sa iba na interested kumuha nito.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast