New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    i recant the peugeot 508 also have a similar tech like the mazda skyactiv system the start stop system, just saw one displayed in atc plus it being a diesel engine

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by victorevolution View Post
    the only blunder of mazda and the system it share with other euorpean counterpart(different term for skyactiv) is that the batteries cost 20k a piece to replace but don't you worry about that since motolite is doing some tinkering of their own

you may replace it with a normal battery and may still use the car but we have no idea if the other car electronic system would work(other than the normal feature)
    The i-Stop system is different from the start-stop of other manufacturers. It uses a supercapacitor bank, not a battery. A capacitor can withstand many more charge/discharge cycles than a battery (absent any defects with the system. There was a bad batch with initial Mazda6s, but this was a subcontractor issue and does not affect the CX5).

If the capacitor dies, only the iStop system is affected. You can use the car as normal, since the CX5 still has a regular battery.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Anyone can recommend contact from Mazda (within Metro Manila of course)?. Pa-pm nlng po contact details with email. Thanks!

Oh and by the way, I crossed out the Hyundai and KIA already, leaving Peugeot and Mazda as my primary choice. However, I 'm looking at the Ford Focus 2.0 Titanium sedan as another option because it got a lot of safety features and alot cheaper than Peugeot 508 and Mazda 6. My concern though is if it is cramped inside and I also heard alot of horror stories about Ford dealers. anyway, I will find out once I get back home.

Any idea of the fuel consumption of the Ford Focus 2.0 titanium? Which engine is more fuel efficient? the Focus 2.0 GDI or Mazda's Skyactiv?

Thanks alot uli mga Sir. I'll feeling excited to get back sa Pinas, lapit na!

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jigz2009 View Post
    Anyone can recommend contact from Mazda (within Metro Manila of course)?. Pa-pm nlng po contact details with email. Thanks!

Oh and by the way, I crossed out the Hyundai and KIA already, leaving Peugeot and Mazda as my primary choice. However, I 'm looking at the Ford Focus 2.0 Titanium sedan as another option because it got a lot of safety features and alot cheaper than Peugeot 508 and Mazda 6. My concern though is if it is cramped inside and I also heard alot of horror stories about Ford dealers. anyway, I will find out once I get back home.

Any idea of the fuel consumption of the Ford Focus 2.0 titanium? Which engine is more fuel efficient? the Focus 2.0 GDI or Mazda's Skyactiv?

The PowerShift transmission of the Focus causes the jerking motion of the Focus in stop and go traffic. It also hunts gears a lot on the lower gears (1st-3rd) while in traffic. Just go with either Mazda and Peugeot. Or maybe stick to the original plan, which is the Trailblazer LTZ. I should tell you, in TBCPh, we have 3 female members, 2 of them provincial chapter coordinators, who find the TB very easy to drive even though it is big. Ask them personally. Their names are Fannie, Mary Beverly and Yvonne.

BTW, Fannie just got her TB a few days ago.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by numbah5; December 13th, 2013 at 11:06 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    * numbah05 - Hello Sir Pres. Thanks for the tips. Yes I still might consider my original plan (TB LTZ). Once I get back home, I will have a clearer picture of what me and my family require.

* victor, niky, calistro, and the rest - thanks for all the tips and for going to all those number-crunching trouble regarding fuel consumption. I really appreciated it. I will be flying back to Philippines this afternoon Wish me luck.

thanks uli mga Sir. update ko kayo kung ano sasakyan yung mapupusuan ko ;)

6. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jigz2009 View Post

Hi Jigz, I drive a Focus 2.0 but mine is the Sport. Fuel consumption wise I think it's comparable to other 2.0 sedans. somewhere between 6-7km/l city driving. We have an Altis 2.0 as well and FC is about the same. If space is a concern you should skip the Focus, although it is a nice car (I really enjoy driving it), it's very cramped. I'm single so space was not a concern when I got the car.

btw, don't be alarmed by my high FC. I have a heavy foot and my regular route is very traffic. For reference, I get 5-6 km/l on a 2.5CVT X-trail AWD driven on the same route.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It would really surprise those "Fords are all gas guzzlers, LOL" people how nice the fuel economy of the Focus 2.0 is compared to other 2.0s.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Im possibly in the same boat as you are right now as the Peugeot 5008 is on my top three list. The others are the Chevrolet TBZ and the Hyundai Sta Fe. However, since were prioritizing the construction of our house, we may have to forgo our plans of buying our new car early next year. (Side note, Im also waiting for the Isuzu Alterra to be released also.)

I met a Peugeot dealer who offered me free LTO and Insurance for all their models. Ive also seen the Mazda 6 also. I would leave it to the experts to comment on the technically of your choices esp with the fuel consumption. I would choose the Pug between the two because the comfort and the refinement the French endowed this lady. Now the Mazda is also great and actually sporty IMO but I feel the Pug is more classy, it pampers you more than the Mazda. Plus take note of the safety features it includes. Im sure your wife will love it too.

Maintenance would be your deal breaker since the Pug is still european, so expect a little difference. But as a fellow forum reader shared with me, his maintenance is almost the same as maintaining a Camry or an Accord using the 2.0 Automatic feature. I haven't driven their 1.6 Sequential Manual transmission but heard it might take some getting used to.

Since we can never tell how the prices of diesel and petrol will be in the future, most still go for diesel as a more practical choice, although much more expensive to maintain, it all boils down on how you would take care of it in the near future.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    what if peugeot is dumping their products in southeast asia because they can't stand with VW ruthless competition... hehe... spare parts would be my first concern...

Testosterone Pit - Home - Secret French Plan In the European War Of The Automakers

Secret French Plan In The European War Of The Automakers
    TUESDAY, JANUARY 8, 2013 AT 1:13PM
    “Volkswagen has chosen to wipe out PSA,” a source in President François Hollande’s entourage told Le Monde. PSA Peugeot Citroën, Europe’s second largest automaker, is teetering. Volkswagen Group, Europe’s largest automaker, appears invincible. Its brands range from entry-level Škoda to exotic Bugatti, with SEAT, Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Bentley, and Lamborghini in between. It wants to reduce overcapacity in Europe “on the backs of the French,” the source said. But now a secret plan has seeped from the woodwork at the Ministry of Finance—a desperate, misbegotten, taxpayer-funded deal.

The new car market in France is morose. Sales in 2012 dropped 13.9% from the miserable levels of 2011. PSA sank even deeper into that quagmire, with sales dropping 17.5%. All hopes had been riding on its new Peugeot 208 that hit the streets in the fall. But hope has turned into disappointment. An initial restructuring plan was nixed by the government. Nevertheless, PSA will shutter its plant at Aulnay (Seine-Saint Denis) and lay off 8,000 people ... by 2014 [As Cars Burn In France, The Industry Of Hope Booms].

The company has been bleeding cash. Its finance subsidiary, Banque PSA Finance, was bailed out by taxpayers last fall to the tune of €7 billion—a bailout that came under heavy fire from Renault, Ford, and the German state of Lower Saxony, which owns 20% of Volkswagen.

Saving PSA without major restructuring, and layoffs, has become a government priority. Economy Minister Pierre Moscovici, who is rumored to be close to the Peugeot family—which owns 30% of PSA—dropped some hints about the secret plan Sunday evening. He was discussing PSA, “a strong company” that happened to be in a “severe crisis.” More government help? “It’s without doubt necessary to go further,” he said. “It would be up to the executives to initiate the rapprochement that they find useful, and we are here both to accompany them and to weigh in that direction.”

Then the leaks emerged. “If car sales collapse in Europe as they did in 2012, PSA won’t make it through the first half,” a source at the Ministry of Finance told Le Monde.

Bailouts are designed to protect stockholders, bondholders, and other stakeholders, especially the elite—such as the Peugeot family—at the expense of taxpayers. A real restructuring through a bankruptcy, after the model of GM, would wipe out the Peugeots’ investment and would slam the banks that own much of the debt. Not a good option.

Hence the secret plan. The government is deeply worried about Volkswagen’s strategy of lowering its prices in Europe. The source explained the thinking: Volkswagen can afford it as it sits on €25 billion in cash, but PSA cannot afford it.

A form of governmental dementia. Volkswagen, despite lowering its prices, is immensely profitable. It’s not a perceived pile of cash that gives it the power to lower prices, but its operating efficiencies, cost structure, and booming sales in China and the US. But even Volkswagen’s sales dropped 5.1% in France last year. The marauders in Peugeot’s and Citroën’s backyard were Kia and Hyundai whose sales, albeit a fraction of those of the giants, jumped 18.1% and 42.2% respectively!

Nevertheless, to throw a monkey wrench into Volkswagen’s presumed strategy of wiping out PSA, the government has come up with an ingenious plan: push PSA to acquire GM’s European subsidiary that has been bleeding to death for years, and whose sales in France have crashed last year by 23.8%—Opel.

Simple: take two dying cats and make a healthy one out of them. And do so without major surgery. Or, as Le Monde’s source would have it, build a European champion able to resist the German attacks.

The idea had bubbled up in September as PSA and GM were nitpicking through the details of their new alliance. GM ought to trade Opel for more shares in PSA. But GM rejected it; it was already stuck with 7% of PSA and didn’t want to get dragged deeper into the quagmire. GM had also been scared off by hot-headed declarations of various government officials in response to PSA’s now nixed restructuring plan. Explains the source at the Finance Ministry: “The only way to convince the Americans would be for PSA to buy Opel directly.”

There are some roadblocks. PSA doesn’t have the means. It would require an infusion of government capital, which has been discussed over the last few months, particularly during the Banque PSA Finance bailout. But the Peugeot family stonewalled a dilution of its holdings. And there was resistance among some elected officials and within the Finance Ministry. “It would nationalize the losses of a private company that is responsible for its own difficulties,” groused an enraged bureaucrat.

Indeed. And it would create the worst possible automaker, one that would not be able to exist without taxpayer subsidies. Both are lousy players in the same tough markets with uncompetitive products in the very segment that is in most trouble, the mid-range. But it might be a relief for GM, which for years has been desperately trying to shed Opel. If it could just get unstuck from PSA as well.

And more on governmental dementia, by Bianca Fernet, stilettos-on-the-ground economist in Argentina. The dust has settled—for the time being—from the drama of the US Court rulings regarding Argentina’s payment on defaulted bonds. But it remains a confounding snaggle. And an appeal is coming. It will certainly be a titillating February. Read.... Argentina’s Bonds, Defaults, and Vultures.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I'm here at Peugeot Quirino Avenue. They've stocked enough parts for all their vehicles, I'm inside their parts room right now. Looks like EDI wants to debunk the notion that parts for Peugeot is not readily available.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast