New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The SkyActiv technology on the new Mazda cars have favorable reviews in terms of fuel efficiency. The Mazda6 will be a good choice plus Mazda offers free maintenance in the first few years. The TOTL 3.5L Accord has VCM technology that shuts down cylinders in slow moving conditions and offers the same fuel efficiency (or better) as its lower-end 2.4L brother. Last time I checked, Honda is offering around 250k discount on it. If budget is limited to 1.5M, I'd go with an Optima.

If limited between the two options stated above, I'd go with the Peugeot. It is bigger and more comfortable than the compact-sized Cruze.
    Last edited by Egan101; December 5th, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The premium in the price you pay for the diesel Chevy CRUZE or the Peugeot 508 would go a long way if you bought other cars like the Sonata, Camry, Corolla, Civic, Lancer EX. The savings in the purchase price pays for the fuel for many many years.

Also you wouldn't be caught in a problem of owning a car that is quite rare in the local market that getting parts for it a big problem even for the local casa (waiting for weeks for ordered parts to arrive). A long warranty on the car is useless if your car is stuck in the casa waiting for weeks parts to arrive.

If you are still hung-up on trying to save on the cost of fuel, you could always opt for the hybrid choices like the Toyota PRIUS C which is tagged at around P1.5M.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Seriously, if I do have 2M to spend on a sedan, I will not mind the fuel consumption as I will surely have the means to spend on gas. I will be more focused on getting the best sedan within that range. If I will be the one driving it daily, I'll get something that will strike a good balance between performance, comfort, and reliability - either a Legacy GT or Accord 3.5 or Mazda6. If I need to be driven around in the comforts of the rear seat, I'd get a Camry 3.5Q or the TOTL Teana.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Seriously, if I do have 2M to spend on a sedan, I will not mind the fuel consumption as I will surely have the means to spend on gas.
    Bro, you have a point there. But some people still put importance on fuel savings even if they can afford a 2M car. Savings is still savings more so kung hard earned money yan.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I'd get the Peugeot over the Diesel Cruze anytime. I've driven it before. Peugeot is known for making some of the best diesel engines (the superb diesel engine of the previous Ford Focus was a joint collaboration of Ford and Peugeot). Plus you're going to drive a European diesel sedan, which is very refined.

Get the 2.0 HDi Allure if I were you. I'm not a fan of the automatically controlled manual transmission of the 1.6 HDi variants of Peugeot. It jerks upon shifting and it feels it lacks the oomph that you'll expect on a torquey diesel engine. The 2.0 HDi Allure variant has a traditional automatic transmission which has smoother shifting and gives you that oomph while overtaking. It costs 1.995M pesos only, pasok pa sa budget mo. Matipid rin naman.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    It would take roughly 5 years before the price difference of the Mazda 6 and 508 is offset by the fuel savings (200k sticker price difference vs 36k fuel savings annually).That doesn't even include the cheaper maintenance due to Yojin 3 and the generally better availability of Jap parts over French parts.

In 5 years, you might be ready to sell already.

Point is, you shouldn't get the diesel only because of the mindset that it's cheaper to own, because in reality, it's not.

Sent from my iPad using Tsikot Car Forums

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    It would take roughly 5 years before the price difference of the Mazda 6 and 508 is offset by the fuel savings (200k sticker price difference vs 36k fuel savings annually).That doesn't even include the cheaper maintenance due to Yojin 3 and the generally better availability of Jap parts over French parts.

In 5 years, you might be ready to sell already.

Point is, you shouldn't get the diesel only because of the mindset that it's cheaper to own, because in reality, it's not.

Sent from my iPad using Tsikot Car Forums
    Sir sabi ni TS, he'll keep the car for 8-10 years kaya ok lang sa kanya ang Peugeot. So far naman, my friend's 11 month 508 2.0 Allure has not given him and his family some problems. Tsaka he was saying that the PMS costs is just the same as that of the Japanese and Korean diesels. One of the best car buying decisions he's ever made according to him. Hmmm, makes me want to convince my family to get the Expert Tepee van once it is launched this January.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 508 1.6 will only really save you money on the highway, where the Mazda6 maxes out at 18-20 where the 508 1.6 hits the 25 km/l region. In traffic, the Mazda6's stop-start system keeps economy in the 8-10 km/l region in traffic. The 1.6 will likely be at around 10-12 km/l or so... not a huge difference.

Calculating this at 8 km/l for the Mazda6 (1.705m) and 10 for the Pug (1.895m) (that's being generous), with unleaded at 55 and diesel at 45...

50,000 kms
    Mazda6 1,705,000 + 343,750 = 2,048,750
    Peugeot 508 1,895,000 + 225,000 = 2,120,000

100,000 kms
    Mazda6 1,705,000 + 687,500 = 2,392,500
    Peugeot 508 1,895,000 + 450,000 = 2,345,000

Ergo... break-even at 100,000 kms.

But that doesn't take into account the higher insurance premium for the Peugeot (insurance premiums depend on initial price) or the higher cost of maintenance (shorter intervals for diesel, more oil, because turbo, and Yojin-3.... meaning first few years for Mazda6 are free).

Plus, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. The Mazda6 is fully loaded and faster than the 508 1.6. If I recall right, it's also faster than the 508 2.0. The 508 hits 100 km/h in under 11 seconds. The Mazda6 can do it in under 9. And it has terrific steering. And handling. And looks...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    If the mazda 6 can churn out 8km a liter in traffic, thats pretty good. That will definitely offset the diesel advantage. But once a gas fed car gets below 6km a liter, then the fuel savings in 100,000 kms vs a diesel one would reach 400k which is significant

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    TS is blinded by the diesel fuel "efficiency" logic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tsikot Car Forums

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast