New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Hello. I'm looking at these two: the 2013 chevrolet Cruze 2.0 DOHC CRDi and the Peugeot 508 1.6 eHDi Allure. I haven't test-driven these cars yet since I'm still abroad so I'm stuck in reasearch mode. My budget limit is Php 2M including premium insurances & LTO registration. Main requirements would be the following:

1. Premium Interior.

2. Fuel economy as it will be used as an everyday car in our traffic-congested streets.

3. Comfortable and fun ride.

The chevy Cruze diesel has a Php 1.313M pricetag while the Peugeot 508 1.6 Allure is at Php 1.895M, almost Php 500K+ difference.

Comparing the specs and feature, the Pug 508 has everything the Cruze has plus the following: Engine Start-Stop system, Tire Deflation indicator, Paddle shift, Heads-up display, HID lamps, 18" alloy wheel (Cruze got 17"), 8-speakers (Cruze got 6-speakers), Remote start function, Hill Assist, Hill Descent, Break Assist, Window Sunshades, and power front seats with height adjustments. The Pug 508 is also bigger than the Cruze (similar to camry, Accord, and Mazda6) so rear passenger legroom is also larger.

On the otherhand, the pro's of Chevy is it has a 5-year/100,000 km warranty, lower premium insurance cost, and has more service centers whereas Peugeot's warranty is just a standard 3-year/100,000 km and only got 3 service centers in Metro Manila (although I was informed that they will be opening 1 more branch possibly in Q.C.).

Do you think the additional Php 500K+ additional features of the Pug 508 is worth it? Honestly, I can do away without paddle shifter since I don't plan to race drive in expressways. I'm also intrigued in the e-HDi start-stop system whether if it really cut your fuel consumption.

I also understand that Chevy and Peugeot will definitely have low resale value compared to popular brands. I really don't mind at all because I will be using the for at least 8-10 years or so.

Your inputs and opinions, especially those who had firsthand experience with these cars, will be very much appreciated. thanks!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    get the Peugeot chevy cruze are problematic same with the spark

woth a 1.3m price tag i'd rather get the monty

but since were talking about a sedan get the Peugeot

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    a camry or accord. and just close your eyes when you have to fill 'er up.. heh heh.

errr.. what does fun ride mean to you? to me, it means a comfortable, smooth ride..

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    * dr. d - yeah same as yours: smooth ride and a feeling of "not getting tired/bored of your car even after more than 5 years driving it" something like that.

Yeah I considered the Camry, Accords, Mazda 6, and Sonata. But being gas-fed, and the ever rising price petrol, yeah mapapapikit siguro ako sa gas station hehehe.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    No idea how these cars fare up, but have you considered a 2014 Skyactiv Mazda6 sir? The CX5s been getting positive feedback from owners in the forum.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    those are petrol sedan, unfortunately.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    How about a honda crz? Not exactly what you're looking for. Pero hybrid and kakaiba like the peugot. Ive seen a couple in person ang pogi talaga. For sure its economical but i have no figures to support this. Maintenance might be a nightmare though. But i have no idea. Seems like you got a lot of money to burn anyways. Im sure you can shoulder the maintenance no problem. Personally id get a camry or mazda 6. Diesel prices are starting to catch up with gas anyways.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Have you computed the mileage required for a diesel fed car to make up the price difference against a gas car?

Peugeot 508 1.985M 13km/l
    P3.2 per kilometer at current price

Kia Optima P1.5M 7km/l
    P7.14 per kilometer at current fuel prices

It will take you about 100,000 kilometers to recoup the gas price (you didn't say how many kilometers a year you do, but its gonna take you more or less 10 years)
    And Im not even considering the obviously more expensive Peugeot maintenance
    If you like the Peugeot, then get it

Too bad, BMW have run out of their heavily discounted E90 318ds (I think it was 1.9 for a bare, 2.2 for an executive?)

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    * mike - Wow CRZ!. Ang angas nga, parang Veloster. If only i was still bachelor... [sigh].

* viper - thanks for your insight.

==

So far, 2 votes for Peugeot 508 and 0 votes for Chevy Cruze diesel 2.0. Just wondering what are the known problems of the Cruze. One guy here even said "its a problematic car". Despite the 5-year/100,000 km warranty and being cheaper than the Peugeot it's still not a better buy among the 2?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jigz2009 View Post
    * mike - Wow CRZ!. Ang angas nga, parang Veloster. If only i was still bachelor... [sigh].

* viper - thanks for your insight.

==

So far, 2 votes for Peugeot 508 and 0 votes for Chevy Cruze diesel 2.0. Just wondering what are the known problems of the Cruze. One guy here even said "its a problematic car". Despite the 5-year/100,000 km warranty and being cheaper than the Peugeot it's still not a better buy among the 2?
    I think the problem with the Chevy Cruze diesel is that there are very few of them and they share no engine parts with anything else in the market
    I saw a top gear article that said they sold 9 (thats right NINE) diesel Cruzes in 3 months, that was in the launch year of the diesel version, so now it can be even less than that. (They sold 15 Suburbans in the same period).
    We would pick the Peugeot any day of the week

Admit it, what you really want is a CPO C180 CDI or a 318d.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast