New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Hi all.

I'm looking for a family CUV and have narrowed it down to these 3 vehicles. They are all more or less similar in price esp. when you factor in the 3 yr. maintenance / service free offer of Mazda. I am not interested in the AWD versions nor the turbocharged versions (except that the Forester only come in AWD, so that's a bonus) since this vehicle will be used mostly (90%) in the City. They definitely have their specific advantages and disadvantages. As a family vehicle, I am interested in the following criteria:

1. Safety
    2. Space (front and rear seats)
    3. Reliability
    4. Low loading floor
    5. cargo room (will need to fit a stroller and luggage)

Occasionally, I will drive this vehicle to work so am also interested in its features and not only its creature comforts. Fuel consumption is a small concern but value more after sales service (or does this depend on the dealership?). This vehicle must last without any major problems for 5 years. Annual usage is approx. 8k - 10k kilometres only. Btw, this CUV must accommodate a child seat as well as 4 other adults (including the driver).

Which of these 3 will be the most apt given the criteria above? Am interested to get the recommendations of actual owners. Thanks all.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Forester 2.0.

You value safety - it has 6 airbags, traction control, and stability control, on top of the usual ABS/EBD.
    You value space - it's definitely larger than the CX-5 and almost as huge as the bare CR-V, and can definitely fit your luggage and strollers.
    You value after sales - Motor Image takes good care of their customers well.

Personally it's really just between the CX-5 and Forester, and given your needs, the latter's the better choice. No reason to get the CR-V for me - its biggest advantage is space and if that's what I really wanted, I'd go for a Sorento/Fortuner/Montero instead.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    well if FC isn't a concern then i'd get the forester. cx-5 is small compared to the forester and the cr-v. forester is one of the safest cars out there considering it is one of the only 2 small suv that passed the new IIHS crash safety test. forester also has the handling advantage over the 2. reliability, well it's a subaru and the forester is the most reliable car in subaru's line up.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    We and my wife had the same dilemma and test-drove all three of them. We went for the CR-V 2.0S. We're planning to have a baby soon and it's just the most convenient and comfortable among the three. Size is just right and driving is smooth.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Thanks all for your advice but as you can see in the other thread I opened recently, the wifey and I just can't imagine how to make do when we need another seat. You see we need a 4-5 seater 90% of the time but occasionally need a 6th seat. So I'll have to backtrack on my CUV aspirations and consider a MPV. If only a CUV has the capability of adding extra seats just for that once or twice a month application. Anyway based on some text drives and advise from this forum, convinced my sister to get the Forester.