New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    hi bro..

i was also in this dilema, along w/ my other choices for my new car.. (this month pako bibili but i've decided to go LANCER EX GT already )

anyway the top choices i was left w/ was LANCER EX and CIVIC 1.8 (Civic 2.0 was out of the Q coz it's automatic. i love my manual! )

tama sabi nila about advantages sa civic.. fuel efficiency, quality interior, great performance and durability.. plus the fact that honda has the best RESALE VALUE....

it was a hard choice for me coz for the most part Civic was a better choice.. but you cant scratch the EX of the list.. just coz one item is a little better in GENERAL doesnt mean it's the only choice to consider.. to each is to his own naman but here's how i ended up w/ my decision to go w/ LANCER EX

About the most significant CIVIC advantages:

1) Fuel Efficiency
    being a 1.8 ofcourse it's gona be more fuel efficient. but from a Civic 1.8 FC of 10-12km/L, to a Lancer Ex 2.0 * 9-10km/L , that's just a 60-80 peso per mileage difference.. and heck some people people burn more money on booze and smokes nga eh. lol .. it's a little spend more for that extra 2.0 Kick

2) Quality Interior
    Yes HONDAs have really good materials used... but i guess lancer went for the softer/lighter plastics to help reduce weight.. eitherway it's just a matter of getting used to.. you cant have everything hehe

3) Weight
    Civic is lighter and faster (generally speaking).. lancer is heavy.. but that's what the 2.0L engine is there to compensate.. and there is a reason why lancer is heavy.. it's got very gooooood body type, very safe design, the car hosts a lot of features, etc.. and plus w/ its added weight it's known to be much better in handling.. perhaps weight was part of the design? ..

4) Civic Easier to maintain than lancers, parts are more durable too..
    While this is true for many years .. it's basically about what has PASSED .. HISTORY kung baga.. every generation presents a new possible outcome.. now it could be a repeat of history 10 years from now.. or it could finally be what many has predicted.. the LANCER EX is Mitsu's COME BACK sedan that will prove its worth over the years.. specially w/ the fact that the Lancer EX has been built closely to its performance brother (evo X).. and that the lancers here in the Phils are CBU Japan , vs honda from malaysia (or thailand) or something..

but eitherway I personally never intended to keep my lancer for more than 5 years.. i wana do what others have done.. SELL and get the new one.. always rotate.. so always new hehe. So for the 1st 5 years im sure i wont have problems as w/ any brand new car.. so this is almost irrelevant.. and again outcome CAN BE different in every car generation.. sanay lang tau na sa tibay ng Civic..

5) RESALE VALUE better w/Civics
    YEs true.. though this lancer could be Mitsu's crowning model, it definitely will still fall short of resale value against Civics.. because coz you can't change this in just 1 generation .. mitsu will have to keep building GREAT cars like civic has done over the years.. but.. im optimistic that this lancer will have a much better resale value than usually expected of a lancer.. i mean c'mon.. LOOK AT IT!! 5-10 years from now this design will still LOOK GOOD/COOL .. hehe

but as an insurance policy, one of the reasons i chose the GT model over the entry levels... coz it's one of the TOP MODELS.. and like with any top models will definitely have good retained value later..

Also .. since EX have 2.0L engines, it will help later as the likes of 1.3L and 1.5L engines get phased out..

6) PRICE, Civic at almost P200K cheaper than EX GT
    True.. but since i always like to be different and plan to mod my car later.. body kits, bucket seats, HID, bigger tires, etc... that price difference wouldn't be that much anymore since the GT already has all these and more... (see below)

Now for the things one gets w/ the LANCER EX GT
    - 2.0L engine , MANUAL!!! <-- no offerings in Civics
    - Cool body kits (chins, sides, spoilers)
    - Quality HID's , projector lamps type design thingy (didnt really knwo what to call it haha)
    - AUTO FRONTLIGHTING SYSTEM (adjusts direction of your light as you steer!)
    - Low beam height adjustability (didnt really read about this much yet but hey it's cool!)
    - really comfy SPORT TYPE bucket seats (try it!!)
    - extra airbag for driver's Knee (a vital part that standard airbags cant protect)
    - 18" w/ 45 series tires w/ stock magz actually looking pretty good already as is
    - Huge 4 wheel disc brakes!!!
    - Multi-information Instrumental Display (not sure if this is totally unique from civics)
    - AM/FM radio and 6-CD / MP3 player - better than single discs (although the 2009 civic's usb port/player would be better
    - CBU Japan!!! finally a japanese car that's from JAPAN
    - 60/40 split-fold rear seat (yes i did like this very much personally hehe)
    - REAL GOOOD LOOKS, head turner indeed
    - FEW only heck i've only seen 1 of the probably 2 or 3 Lancer EX's in Davao.. not common thus more unique, di nakaka sawa tignan, and will be true for a year or 2 im sure as Mitsu Phils doesnt seem to concentrate much on sedans anymore , SUV na sila.. and w/the price increase of the lancer lurking around.. less people will defintely get this.. BETTER FOR ME (selfishly hehe)
    - and a few other stuffs i probably dont remember anymore heheheh

so yeah that's how i came down to my choice .. given the pros and cons.. the cons not really major issues, i felt lancer GT had more to offer...

hehehe i hope this helps you in your decision (though it may probably have made you more confused of your choices now)..

basta eto lang masasabi ko.. EITHER WAY... LANCER EX GT or CIVIC 1.8.. you can't go WRONG .. they're both absolutely fabulous cars

now.. toss a coin..

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    2009 Lancer

It's obvious that Lancer is sporty. It's easy to see that Lancer is loaded with features. Less obvious are the great lengths that they've gone to with regard to safety. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety knows; they awarded Lancer the highest rating for front- and rear-impact safety.

At Mitsubishi, they are so confident in the quality, reliability and durability of the cars they build that they back their passenger cars and sport utility vehicles with very extensive warranties. This is headed by a 10-year/100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, a 5-year/60,000 mile fully transferable bumper-to-bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty, a 7-year/100,000 mile Anti-Corrosion/Perforation Limited Warranty and 5-years/Unlimited miles Roadside Assistance. So now, when you drive off in your new Mitsubishi, you'll leave with even more peace of mind, knowing you can enjoy it to the fullest for many years to come.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Those warranties don't apply here in Manila.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    I think these cars are the most compared midsized sedan in this section of tsikot nowadays ride,resale value, interior materials, good looks,safety,FC, features the list goes on and on...

IMO..
    If your the normal guy who just wants a tried and tested car(sigurista) get the civic you wont regret that, it trumps the lancer in almost every department except looks, but if your the guy who wants what he really wants and is ready to take the heat from critics just to have what his heart desires get the EX

also try reading the lancer EX/civic FD forums in the car talk section..

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    well. finally got mine lancer GT today

100% happy w/ my decision so far the presence of the lancer is just GRAND...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by hilldweller View Post
    2009 Lancer

It's obvious that Lancer is sporty. It's easy to see that Lancer is loaded with features. Less obvious are the great lengths that they've gone to with regard to safety. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety knows; they awarded Lancer the highest rating for front- and rear-impact safety.

At Mitsubishi, they are so confident in the quality, reliability and durability of the cars they build that they back their passenger cars and sport utility vehicles with very extensive warranties. This is headed by a 10-year/100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, a 5-year/60,000 mile fully transferable bumper-to-bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty, a 7-year/100,000 mile Anti-Corrosion/Perforation Limited Warranty and 5-years/Unlimited miles Roadside Assistance. So now, when you drive off in your new Mitsubishi, you'll leave with even more peace of mind, knowing you can enjoy it to the fullest for many years to come.
    plagiarism

went for the softer/lighter plastics to help reduce weight
    ^this, contradicts with this…
    plus w/ its added weight it's known to be much better in handling.. perhaps weight was part of the design?
    hint: EVO IX with a HIGHER QUALITY interior pieces is 300lbs lighter than EVO X with inferior plastics. My point is, you can have a light car without compromising quality.

you cant have everything
    I agree.

REAL GOOOD LOOKS, head turner indeed
    The one and only advantage that I can see...a head turner indeed.

nonetheless, congrats

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Man, pareho tayo ng pinagiisipan ngayon. Di pa din ako makapag-decide which is better. Gusto ko ng GT dahil sa porma but then again gusto ko din ng Honda for it's resale value. Kung mayaman lang ako pareho kong kukunin eh.

Hay buhay...

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    engine: lancer ex
    practicality: civc
    safety feature: lancer ex (2 airbags) vs civic 1.8v (none)

in my opinion, maganda na ang itsura ng 1.8v civic kahit wala ka nang additional accessories especially in the shade of taffeta white. elegant & very classy talaga. medyo kahawig na niya ang pearl white ng 2.0s from afar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Civic honda 1.8V m/t 2009 or mitsubishi Lancer EX 2.0 GLX m/t?