The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    ÓT: Ano mga sasakyan ngayon na naka:
    1. Chain Drive?
    2. Belt Drive?

SUVs, AUVs, MPVs, Pick-ups!

Cguro naman Cars or Sedan bihira lang.TY.

research ka nalang dami e!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S.C._28 View Post
    ÓT: Ano mga sasakyan ngayon na naka:
    1. Chain Drive?
    2. Belt Drive?

SUVs, AUVs, MPVs, Pick-ups!

Cguro naman Cars or Sedan bihira lang.TY.
    AFAIK (timing chain)... isuzu crosswinds, vvti engines (vios, altis), suzuki vehicles, 4M40 mitsubishi, series 3 sentra

(timing belt)... d4d toyota, most hondas

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Crosswind is timing gear, not chain.

Mitsubishi gas engines are chain.

Modern timing belts last around 60-100,000 kms. They usually give you no trouble if you follow the change interval. Some manufacturers still use them because they're quieter than chain drive.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The Crosswind is timing gear, not chain.

Mitsubishi gas engines are chain.

Modern timing belts last around 60-100,000 kms. They usually give you no trouble if you follow the change interval. Some manufacturers still use them because they're quieter than chain drive.
    +1, mas tahimik nga belt driven.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    +1, mas tahimik nga belt driven.
    Kaya pala yung Honda Civic namin, maski 100kph, tahimik!! Eh yung Innova Gas, timing belt or chain??

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    Kaya pala yung Honda Civic namin, maski 100kph, tahimik!! Eh yung Innova Gas, timing belt or chain??
    AFAIK the innova gas engine uses timing chain.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The nice thing about the clackety clack of timing chains. If it gets even louder, then you know it's time for replacement.

Personally, I haven't seen much difference between the two in practical use, as long as you do maintenance regularly. I've had to replace the timing belt on my Lynx at around 60-80,000 kms... but I also had to have the timing chain tensioner replaced on the Sentra at around 60,000 kms.

Yes, the chain is definitely safer. Yes, it costs a bit less to maintain. But no, it's not completely maintenance free. You still have to follow similar intervals, otherwise you risk breaking the chain. (I know of two or three instances of chains breaking from my time on the Nissan boards. It's much, much rarer than timing belts stretching and breaking, but it still happens.)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    AFAIK belt is more economical to operate because is lighter to spin than chain thats why most engines use timing belt.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    timing belt driven valve train has its merits:
    1- it is lighter
    2- it is quieter
    3- when it is time for periodic maintenance, the timing belt and associated parts are external and accessible
    timing belt driven valve trains have disadvantages:
    1-car owners usually don't maintain their cars as what is recommended by the manufacturer
    2-when it breaks, it usually don't give warning telltale signs except the mileage(don't rely on this specially on city driving) and the engine is on clock hours not miles incurred.
    3-most shops and so are the car owners are not aware of the MAW (might as well parts) like the camshaft oil seal, crankshaft oil seal, timing belt tensioner, timing belt idler, timing belt driven water pump. they were installed on the same hour, same day, incurred the same mileage, exposed to the same environment. other than that, no car was designed to last forever.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
chain drive or belt drive