New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    Unexpected also. I would think under normal conditions the civic would have a definite advantage in fuel economy.

Does your route normally include hilly terrain or being significantly loaded at times? I wonder the weight difference also between the two cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    *marv25 - what generation of the Civic do you drive? what engine is on it?
    Nope, no hilly terrain and usually 1 or 2 persons only.
    2004 Civic 1.6L M/T. It's not broken, and the consumption has been like that since we had it brand new. It's because I tend to be heavy-footed with it.
    It gets 5.5-7km/L moderate to heavy-footed
    The CRV gets 6km/L light to moderate footed. Just a little tap on the throttle will get it going quite decently so there's no need to mash the pedal. The trick is to keep the climate control at a reasonable temperature (23-25C, auto blower. Compressor doesnt load the engine as much) and keep that econ button on (lessens the throttle sensitivity). Our 3rd gen CRV with the same engine gets 4.7-5.5km/L. I suspect its because of an overly sensitive throttle.

I know someone with an A/T EG Civic getting 5km/L.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Congrats on the CRV! Join us sa CRV Group Philippines in FB.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by marv25 View Post
    Nope, no hilly terrain and usually 1 or 2 persons only.
    2004 Civic 1.6L M/T. It's not broken, and the consumption has been like that since we had it brand new. It's because I tend to be heavy-footed with it.
    The CRV gets 6km/L light to moderate footed. Just a little tap on the throttle will get it going quite decently so there's no need to mash the pedal. The trick is to keep the climate control at a reasonable temperature (23-25C, auto blower. Compressor doesnt load the engine as much) and keep that econ button on (lessens the throttle sensitivity). Our 3rd gen CRV with the same engine gets 4.7-5.5km/L. I suspect its because of an overly sensitive throttle.

try sparks plug cleaning every 1000kms, our 2017 crv improved fc after casa cleaned sparks from 8.9 to 11.1 highway. I heard iridium plugs are great but no experience on it yet.

Other factor seems to be fuel. On some gas stations i get very good FC and others got meh fc. Enjoy your new ride!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by marv25 View Post

That's a bit high for a Civic ES platform. I get about the same FC with my old 6th gen Accord 2.3L AT (2001). Some Civic FD 1.8L AT/MT owners can do around 8 km/L on city driving routes.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Depends on the route as always. Anyone living in the south and takes SLEX daily will always have better FC than someone who has to live with the cramped CBD streets. Brand new HRV 1.8E vs. 2nd hand 2014 CRV 2.4 S-X AWD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    That's a bit high for a Civic ES platform. I get about the same FC with my old 6th gen Accord 2.3L AT (2001). Some Civic FD 1.8L AT/MT owners can do around 8 km/L on city driving routes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Depends on the route as always. Anyone living in the south and takes SLEX daily will always have better FC than someone who has to live with the cramped CBD streets. Brand new HRV 1.8E vs. 2nd hand 2014 CRV 2.4 S-X AWD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to be very heavy footed with the Civic kasi, and thats pure city driving, moderate to heavy traffic. On long highway road trips naman, 15km/L is easy. Full tank and 175km later, the needle hasnt left the F mark. It's definitely the driving style. But im still really surprised that the CRV can easily hit 6km/L city driving.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Few things I didn't expect with the CRV compared to the 3rd gen.

1. Less compartments in the front. The older one had 2 glove boxes, 2 compartments on the center console, cupholder/compartment, big space on the floor between driver and passenger, under seat drawer. The 4th gen has one glovebox, 1 not-so-big compartment in the center console, and a spacious cupholder/compartment. No under-seat drawer.

2. The older CRV had a display on the MID that showed which door was open. The 4th gen doesnt. Just one red door-open indicator. This is a bit disappointing.

But there are way more improvements that outweigh these small issues, so it's no biggie. Pretty happy overall.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123