New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Did a test drive on both units today and I think the C200 is the better car overall.

In terms of power, 320d has alot more torque on paper but I noticed that engine changes gear too often too soon and it wasn't that fast. Diesel engine was VERY quiet though. C200 power was ok but delivery was much more linear and smoother. I think both cars are pretty much even here.

In terms of steering feel, 320d was very stiff all the time (as if walang power steering) and I'm sure it will get tiresome especially in traffic jams. While with the C200, steering seems electronically controlled so it slowly gets stiffer as speed increases which was MUCH MORE comfortable.

In terms of interior features, although the 320d has a moonroof, it looks very small so appeal is very limited. While for C200, it has a very nice console layout and colored info screen (like i-drive) which is very nice although screen could have been bigger. Bluetooth handsfree is nice as well.

Another thing I noticed was the park distance sensor difference. The 320d has only rear backup sensor while C200 has both front and back. Also, 320d rear sensor only produces beeping sounds while C200 has both indicator and sound.

In terms of interior space, C200 seems to have bigger rear legroom. 320d might have bigger trunk space though because of run flat tires.

In terms of exterior looks, I think C200 looks more exciting and although 320d has 18" rims, I dunno why but I didn't get excited much upon looking at the car. Maybe its because the current 3 series has been in the market for quite some time.

In terms of resale, I guess either way, you will probably lose 30% or more within 3 years. Toyota has probably the best resale in the market, much better than European brands.

I tried hard to like the 320d but I really can't think of anything substantially better in the 320d over the C200 based on the 20-30 minutes I was in each of the cars. I was thinking at first that 320d will probably consume much less fuel but I don't think you will get the 320d to save money on gas there are alot of fuel efficient cars that cost less than half. I think the power and feel is more important and fuel savings is just a bonus.

Maybe my comments about looks is subjective but all the other points I mentioned are facts. I still can't see why 320d is better aside except maybe BMW has a more proven track record in the local market (which actually matters alot for many).
    Last edited by ryan; October 27th, 2007 at 01:25 AM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Mas mataas ba resale ng BMW? 1994 3 Series... Diba nasa 400K? 1985 Mercedes Benz W124 Diesel can be seen around 300K. Turbo versions nasa 400K.
    iam3739.com

3. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    wait for the new audi a4 to arrive next year, its sure to make competitions serious

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    Mas mataas ba resale ng BMW? 1994 3 Series... Diba nasa 400K? 1985 Mercedes Benz W124 Diesel can be seen around 300K. Turbo versions nasa 400K.
    The 3 series is one class lower than the W124, the 3 series is pitted against the C-class while the W124 series Mercedes goes up against the 5 series

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I'd pick the C200 if it was the Kompressor model, since it's not, i'll go for the BMW.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by seonadancing View Post
    I'd pick the C200 if it was the Kompressor model, since it's not, i'll go for the BMW.
    Try a test drive... it might open your eyes in respect to the pros and cons of the two cars.

In the words of a respected automotive personality, "Ultimate driving vehicle my ass." hehehe

7. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seonadancing View Post
    Actually it is a Kompressor model. Surprising smoothness for a 1.8L supercharged engine. It felt like a 2.5L instead.

I think its just a matter if people will take a look and test drive the new C-class. Medyo sirang sira kasi Benz sa previous model unlike BMW who has had very successful track record. Cuz unless you are serious BMW fanatic, I think most people will agree that the C-class is better.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    i think the new model W204 has better reliability than the previous gen. my W203 was a lemon, but i dont think the E46 was any better either. take note european cars use the same parts suppliers....bosch, hella, lucas etc.....

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    id go for the C200K (its what we have...hehehe).
    although the 320d was appealing in that its a diesel,
    i guess the additional features on the C200K that weren't on the 320d
    made the difference for me.
    the Merc does have better steering than the 320d.
    better handling.
    and,
    i was able to drive a 3 y.o. 520d, its engine was noisy.
    like it was a small truck or something but it still drove great.
    plus the new C-class is MB's newest car.
    the current 3series has been here for a while and i think is due for a redesign.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SiViTeC View Post
    E90 -> 320d
    For me, based on the test drive that I did on both vehicle, I can say it's a toss up between driving dynamics and interior feel.

E90 -> 320d
    + made to be driven
    + good torque (good diesel engine)
    + simple yet elegant
    + bmw is more reliable in the long run (based on experience)
    + lesser electronic gadgets to break
    - exterior styling depends on the person (I like the e46 body better)
    - minimal interior features

W204 -> C200 (actually, I test driven the c280)
    + plush ride
    + lots of electronic features
    + brutally elegant
    + newer design
    + good sound system
    - reliability (based on experience)
    - driving dynamics not as good as the E90.
    - exterior styling depends on the person (+ or -)

If you're not after for the driving dynamics in a car, go with the Mercedes. But, if you love to drive, go with the BMW.
    I've heard of those reliability issues with the newer generation Benz models, but in the RP, the power of the 3-pointed star is still strong.

PS: Updated BMWs at the ongoing BMW Xpo 2008.

If there is one reason not to get a BMW 3-series now...

...its due for a facelift soon.
    Spy photo of the 2009 3-series.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BMW 320d vs new Benz C200