New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    With my cousin's GSR, also, the aircon has been a big headache.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Chris View Post
    last nalng po mga bro, if kayo yung nasa place ko what will be your choice between those two? tnx po.
    I had the same predicament two years ago. My target was a Lancer GLXi 97 but I decided to get a Familia Gen2.5 GLXi 97. The big body you're talking about would be the Gen1, boxy type.

Lancer GLXi 97
    Pros
    - 1.6 4G92 SOHC EFI, decent engine with good fuel consumption
    - Nice body contours
    - Body kits readily available
    - All power
    - Parts are more available

Cons
    - Suspension problems as in most Mitsus have
    - Clutch is so so though I'm talking about the 2003 model.
    - Steering is also a so so can't say much about it.
    - No ABS, no airbags

Familia GLXi 97
    Pros
    - B6D DOHC EFI, torquey engine though it will consume more fuel in comparision with other 1.6 engines. Very responsive engine.
    - Very good suspension, great handling
    - Body contours is a lot better than the Lancer imho
    - With ABS and airbag
    - Bang for the buck!

Cons
    - Erratic idling, caused by dirty MAF sensor. Can be cured by just cleaning it or have a proper tune up. Most car owners tend to overlook this.
    - Engine supports as what they say but haven't had a problem with it yet.
    - Rear fender rust. Caused by accumulating mud inside. You just need to make sure it's always cleaned.
    - Gas consumption. It's not far from other 1.6s but if you're looking for an automatic... typical will be 6-7 km/l city driving. From what I heard the lancer a/t can do 8 km/l city. Mine's a manual and it consumes 8.8 km/l tops city driving but I shift gears more lately. Others can do a 10-11 km/l.
    - Automatic tranny. Make sure you always check that your ATF is in tops.
    - Maintenance is not like a Toyota or a Honda where you can get parts anywhere but contrary to belief parts are abundant like Nissans or Mitsus. You just have to know where to get them.

Btw if you're looking for a Gen1, there are only two models that I know off: the 1.6 DOHC EFI GLX and 1.3 SOHC LX which was relased 1994-96.

You can log on to www.protegetech.org amd www.mymitsu.com.ph for more info. Good luck hunting!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    thanks sa mga reply bros. i guess it still depends on the condition of the car ayt? hehehehe very helpful ung mga insights nyo and tulungan nyo ulit me sa next thread ko. thanks again

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    +1 sa Familia GLXi

vague ang resale value ng Mazda Familia... yake advantage of it. last two weeks sa classified ads ng M.Bulletin i saw two 97 model Familia pareho GLX yung isa 170thou, yung isa 220thou. get the one in the lower range.

it has lots of features, good engine note and power, roomy cabin and nice handling.

i had an experience owning a Mazda AT (626) in my experience, normal ang shiftshock sa kanya, downshifts quick and knows how and when to stay at its powerband for overtaking. although malakas sa gas ang AT.

sa Lancer ive heard alot of owner complaining their servos, AC and AT. makalampag too but handles great.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO - you can't go wrong with either vehicle.

Though the Mazda Familia will be a bit cheaper which you can use to your advantage.

And as niky said, stay away from any A/T equipped 90s vehicle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
which is better pizza pie lancer or mazda familia big body???