New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Goodbye to a great 2012, and welcome to an even greater 2013. Happy New Year to All!!!

Just heard that Toyota Fortuner is back as top selling SUV for both November and December sales, beating perennial top seller Mitsubishi Montero. Any specific reason for the rise of Fortuner (or the drop in Montero) sales?

New Hyundai Santa Fe is gaining momentum, but hottest SUV right now is Chevrolet Trailblazer.

For small cars, Vios pa rin. What are the serious challengers to this car?

Camry pa rin ba for mid-size cars?

I don't have all official figures, but would be good if you can share what you know. It's also a good guide for those looking to buy a new car in 2013.

Lately, I see a lot of new and no-plate Toyota Land Cruisers, LC Prado and CX9, I understand due to aggressive year-end promos.

So why do you think such cars are selling well?

And try to predict which cars will make it big in sales this new year 2013.

All are welcome to share their 2 cents, even fanbois.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Interesting 2013 what with the current and upcoming product offerings.

If indeed the Fortuner is back at the top, IMO, it would be because of the Toyota name and brand loyalty. The more potent 2.5L VNT powerplant was probably enough to hold sway on the T-badge loyalists. Perhaps previous experiences with the brand were solid, and the better than previous engine was enough to keep them with the brand. Not sure if having a wide range of MS options confused the market though.

With the Vios, it's really the budget and practical considerations that keep it selling well. Sure, it may not be the cheapest subcompact car on the block, but it's a Toyota. Parts (as well as accessories) and reliability are another few important factors, I would think. Talk about those huge number of Vios (and Corolla) taxis bearing the abuse.

Haven't seen that many new Camrys on the road. Maybe it's because the generation previous to that sold so well that the owners (private and fleet) have not upgraded yet. Or maybe I've confused it occasionally with the Altis, from some quick glance angles. But I think it's still there on top of the hill.

LCs, Prados and CX9s. Well, that just speaks of the number of affluent folks just waiting for a good deal (big discount) before upgrading.

I think the Ford Ranger will make a dent in the Strada's popularity and sales pie in 2013, assuming Ford can keep it priced right.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I don't see best-seller lists as telling people what's good to buy.

If they did, we should all be buying Focuses. Best selling nameplate of 2012 worldwide.

Late year sales won't bring a year-end sales crown. Don't doubt the Montero is still up there, though.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I don't see best-seller lists as telling people what's good to buy.

If they did, we should all be buying Focuses. Best selling nameplate of 2012 worldwide.

Late year sales won't bring a year-end sales crown. Don't doubt the Montero is still up there, though.
    Are you referring to Fod Focus as the best seller worldwide?

Yes, i agree. Montero will still be around, it's still good value for money.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    My guesses are...

Any specific reason for the rise of Fortuner (or the drop in Montero) sales?
    Intro of the new Fortuner in Sept. 2012. New styling cues, supposed to be more comfortable (not as bumpy as the model it replaced), with more power, at least according to the press releases and reviews.

For small cars, Vios pa rin. What are the serious challengers to this car?
    The H brands: Honda City, Honda Jazz, Hyundai Accent. But Vios will dominate because in addition to private use, it's the go-to choice for fleet sales, i.e. taxis and company cars.

Camry pa rin ba for mid-size cars?
    Yes. But I think the Sonata will pose a serious challenge.

I don't have all official figures, but would be good if you can share what you know. It's also a good guide for those looking to buy a new car in 2013.
    Personally, I've never used "top selling" as a criterion for choosing a new car. I prefer to go against the grain so my car choice becomes more unique. Of course, I also rely on local and international reviews as well as experiences of current owners.

And try to predict which cars will make it big in sales this new year 2013.
    My fearless forecast:

Mini-compacts: Fiesta
    Sub-compacts: Vios
    Compacts: Altis
    Cross-overs: Tucson
    Medium SUVs: Montero Sport
    AUVs/MPVs: Innova, Avanza
    Vans: Toss-up between Hi Ace and Starex

Overall, Toyota will still be the dominant brand because of its reputation and brand image among Pinoys.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post
    My guesses are...

Intro of the new Fortuner in Sept. 2012. New styling cues, supposed to be more comfortable (not as bumpy as the model it replaced), with more power, at least according to the press releases and reviews.

The H brands: Honda City, Honda Jazz, Hyundai Accent. But Vios will dominate because in addition to private use, it's the go-to choice for fleet sales, i.e. taxis and company cars.

Yes. But I think the Sonata will pose a serious challenge.

Personally, I've never used "top selling" as a criterion for choosing a new car. I prefer to go against the grain so my car choice becomes more unique. Of course, I also rely on local and international reviews as well as experiences of current owners.

My fearless forecast:

Mini-compacts: Fiesta
    Sub-compacts: Vios
    Compacts: Altis
    Cross-overs: Tucson
    Medium SUVs: Montero Sport
    AUVs/MPVs: Innova, Avanza
    Vans: Toss-up between Hi Ace and Starex

Overall, Toyota will still be the dominant brand because of its reputation and brand image among Pinoys.
    Absolutely agree with you, best selling is oftentimes different from best car in the segment. A lot has to do with things outside the car - such as dealership, spare parts management, dealer pricing and packaging, and special promotions and advertising.

Let me add also:

Mid-size: Camry
    Sports: BRZ (more aggressive sila than Toyota 86)

Mirage can be a good challenger for sub-compact as well.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Isn't the Fiesta a sub-compact as well?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    Isn't the Fiesta a sub-compact as well?
    I think you're right.

Mini-compacts would be the Hyundai Eon, Suzuki Alto, etc.

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    I think with the vans, the Urvan will dominate this year.

10. Join Date
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ano727 View Post
    Any specific reason for the rise of Fortuner (or the drop in Montero) sales?
    Because Fort's new engine. Also, because they have non-beige interior now. Baka rin naumay na mga tao sa MS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Best Selling Cars to Close 2012 - Predict Which Cars Will Do Well in 2013