New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by itlog na pula View Post
    hi wiper, i've got a carens ex crdi at. got it a little over 2 weeks ago.

...as for the korean stigma, it really isn't much of an issue to me. a lot of people seem to put emphasis on this pero remember the japanese had the same problem in the beginning. but clearly, kia (and hyundai) have made lots of improvements on their vehicles. i think it really is more on the after sales service that puts more of the worry in me. but remember, euro and japanese brands here sometimes have issues with quality service too.

of course from time to time you think about it but looking at the great styling, i know we made the right choice.

hope this helps.
    Hi,

Agree on all points you raised about Korean car brands and about the Carens. So how have Kia Motors' after sales service been?

I have set sight on the Carnival or Carens as a next family vehicle. Any noteworthy or bad experience with service and maintenance?

-- AlbertB

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    From what I've heard, 25 km/l is mixed for provincial users... I've only seen the engine (in the Getz) do 14 km/l in city traffic. I really doubt you can get 30. I have a feeling the guy who posted up that consumption computed improperly.

That said, I don't really like the Accent. The suspension tuning really isn't as good as the Kia Rio or the Hyundai Getz... neither of which are the best in the world, but have a more steady ride... and the electric steering is way overboosted. But in this effect, it's not much different from the Vios. The Vios has terrible electric steering, but at least the suspension is a fair bit more settled than the Accent's.

The Vios 1.5, we got 11 km/l in mixed driving. It can do 20, pure highway, but is likely around 8-10 in traffic. Don't know about the 1.3. Toyota engines are amongst the best gasoline engines there are... which bodes well for fuel economy. But the Accent will have better economy and more power. The interior is a little plasticky for the price, but the new Vios's interior isn't as good as it used to be, either. The only question is the cost of servicing the injectors five years or so down the road.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2008
    Mine is a carens LX A/t crdi.
    i bought it last may 10, 2008.
    my FCs are 8.8km/L, 10.15 km/L and 7.75 km/L based on the 1st 3 full tanks, city driving.
    It has run 880kms so far.

my officemate has 1.8 civic he bought last nov2007. his FC is around 8km/L. city driving.

what i noticed with my unit is that it shifts only to 4th gear when it reaches 80kph. you can't force it (using the + - mode) to go to 4th even if going downhill (at 50kph).

it also doesn't have that overdrive ON option. it seems like it is always at the overdrive OFF option wherein if you take off your foot on the gas accel, it slows down(like engine braking).

I have a toyota altis and it has that overdrive ON option. when i step on the gas and release it, it still goes forward like it has reserve force on it. i get 9.5km/L FC. it is 1600 a/t.

another thing about the clearance. yes carens clearance is low. it hits the humps(5 pass only). how much more for 7? i have to lift my carens.

i hope this will enlighten you.

best regards,

alagad

Quote Originally Posted by wiper View Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions. Maybe I will opt for the carens if the fuel consumption could reach 12km/l . For those who have carens , can you give me more input as well as those civic 1.8 users too. I am more concerned in the Fuel consumption. thanks again

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by teeyoh View Post
    sir wiper: It depends on how the car functions for your personal use. Be it for family, economy or pang single drive. Pick the car na gusto mo talaga and somehow within your budget.
    For family use only: Kia Carens or Toyota Innova
    For economy na pwede ring pang taxi: Toyota Vios or other Hyundai subcompacts
    For looks: Honda Civic 1.8 S A/T
    imho, the Carens can even be a daily driver due to satisfactory FC for its size, and imho, it looks good too.

scratch the Accent off your list. even though it looks good outside, the interiors are too plasticky for my taste. Sumakay ako ng taxi kaninang hapon, accent yung nasakyan ko. Ok lang naman daw FC sabi nung driver. (Diesel-fed). I prefer the Rio over the Accent, honestly speaking.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Depende sa use bro. Carens probably if you have a family and need the space (by the way don't automatically choose CRDi, do the math first kasi for me di mababawi yung price difference with gas you have to find out your mileage first so you can justify paying up for a CRDi).

If you are bringing a date or single ka then Civic ako for looks and porma (high resale too)... Forget the Accent, for me ang pangit na nga sa labas, ang pangit pa sa loob (I just don't dig Korean sedans, Japanese pa din ako kapag sedans)... Vios pwede din for the fuel economy and resale is also right up there with the Civic, not as hot as the Civic though and has a taxi aftertaste to it

I don't own any of the other cars except Civic 1.8 AT so I will comment on that only. My FC is 8-9km/L pure city my route is Makati near AIM to QC near Banawe on rush hour... I haven't tried doing highway tests since wala naman akong lakad outside of Metro Manila...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Which is the best buy: Kia Carens, Hyundai Accent, Toyota Vios or Honda Civic 1.8