New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2016
    How about sentra 01.6 05-08 models or altis 05-06 models? Any convincing rationales? Thanks again. Kinda torn between this two as well.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Wilson View Post
    How about sentra 01.6 05-08 models or altis 05-06 models? Any convincing rationales? Thanks again. Kinda torn between this two as well.
    i'm a sentra fan.
    but in this instance, all things being equal (i.e., the condition of the car), i'd get the altis, even as it will probably cost more at the initial. because... it's a toyota. very popular.. good parts and expertise availability, good build quality... and good re-sale value. (so my relative who has one, says.)
    of course, there's the caveats of all used cars...
    Last edited by dr. d; February 23rd, 2016 at 10:29 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    at that budget, you have lots of options..... you can have the sentras, the corollas, the lancers and the civics. everything boils down to the actual condition of the car.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Wilson View Post
    For those cars, you're looking at a budget of around 250k. I was in the same boat last year, and I ended up with a 2004 Mazda 3 2.0R.

My priorities in looking for a secondhand car were its looks, performance, handling, and features. I knew full well that the Mazda will have dismal fuel consumption (I get 5-6 km/L in rush hour traffic). But no other car in this price range has leather, auto climate control, automatic headlamps, rain sensing wipers, steering wheel controls, moon roof, and 17" OEM rims. None of the other options drives as well the Mazda either.

Personally I think both the Altis and Sentra are boring choices, though between the two, the Altis is a much better car. That said, if I wanted a fairly efficient car at that price, I'd be looking at a 2005 Civic VTi-S (ES). More refined than the EK Civic, more reasonably priced (EKs are almost the same price but are much older and more bare). 1.6 does the usual 8 km/L in city traffic. The facelifted version (2004 onwards) looks much much better than the pre-facelift one.

I got to use a 2003 VTi-S AT before for about a week's worth of provincial travels. Good performance from the engine, feels solid to drive, good enough space, and has the features you'd expect from a car its age (ABS, EBD, airbags, nothing else). My only gripe is that the gearing was a bit off (second gear was too long) - the manual would definitely be more fun to drive.

The Altis was a more popular car at the time but I think the Civic aged better. That's just me though.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    ... moonroof/sunroof...? in the philippines? a solid roof won't leak, even if not maintained at all.
    it's actually a turn-off for me.
    my opinion only.
    i am sure, other opinions differ.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2016
    I agree with you dr. d. I'm not a fan of sun/moon roof also. I don't want any worries even i. The future about leaks or what if something might fell on it accidentally. Less fan of civics 01-05 models also just because I have a trusted Autoshop owner/mechanic/knownracer who does not convince me to get those models even his autoshop does an exclusive repairs/modified honda cars.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2016
    I know I have a lot of choices but I just narrowed them to the best of my interest. Corollas, lancer, civics, & even ford focus are all in my secondary choices. Actually corolla lovelife gli kinda have an appeal on me, I'm just worried if the normal wear & tear of it will not make my ride spends more time in a shop rather than the road since its a decade & a half car. As for civics(sir body) 99-00 models, many have said it's cheap to maintained also but very seldom to find one who did not undergone modifications.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2016
    So that's how my priorities went to altis and sentra.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2016
    But if I don't get to find a well maintained 2nd hand if those two, I might end up with ford focus since we have a family friend who sells one & I know the unit is very well taken cared off and maybe exalta/granduer.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    As much as possible buy the car that you love, maiipit ka sa traf at kung ang car mo hindi mo love mas lalo kang ma stress.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast