New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 142 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1576
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by istan View Post
    Got a lancer 2004 mx. Cvt still alive

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    i used to have a 2003. mx. 100K km on the odo. cvt was ok, but...
    hideous gas appetite!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    You can still see a lot of old Jazz/City IDSI and Lancer Cedia models on the streets despite some being not being maintained religiously.
    tatagal naman talaga. lalo na gentle prodding of the accelerator kasi bagal gumalaw ng c5 edsa lol. when my brothers picked me up at the airport.. pauwi via edsa ayun. bagal factor was insane. slowest edsa northbound in my lifetime. cvt wont die from slow traffic in my opinion.

3. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    tatagal naman talaga. lalo na gentle prodding of the accelerator kasi bagal gumalaw ng c5 edsa lol. when my brothers picked me up at the airport.. pauwi via edsa ayun. bagal factor was insane. slowest edsa northbound in my lifetime. cvt wont die from slow traffic in my opinion.
    Yup, I also think the same. Just don't be too "rev happy" with CVTs and they "should" work well for their life.

We still own and use an 11 year old City i-Dsi CVT.

I am still on the fence on the practically of them when going up mountains. It can climb, but you really can't leave it in "D".

When I drove the CVT up Mt Samat, I could just leave it in "Sport Mode" and really have to shift to "L" from time to time. When I reached the top, it kind of smelled a little like burnt clutch. Not sure if was me or the other cars around me. But I was just keeping revs around 3k rpm then as best I could. If on an uphill climb, if revs were below 2500rpm in sport mode, it just loses power during the climb (tried it a few times when I visited San Mateo before)

Car still runs fine now. Should be taking it up slopes again, so I'll see how it goes. =) This one is a Sylphy 1.6 CVT (5 years old)

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    You have a point there. Plus it may be more expensive to repair a CVT rather than an AT.
    From what I've read around, you don't repair a CVT. You replace it. Ouch.

For city driving only, I think CVTs are okay. But, during our road trip last year, there were a few uphills where the CVT on my wife's Nissan Rogue felt like it was on the verge of slipping. I was trying to do +70 mph (posted speed limit: 65 mph). But, the car felt like it didn't want to. I didn't force the issue and just let the car slow down to the maximum speed the CVT can handle which was 68 mph. No burnt smell or anything else that might indicate a problem.

I used to have a 1995 Ford Contour V6 AT that had 170 HP, same as our Nissan Rogue. The Contour had no problems doing 75 mph at the same uphills. Of course, the Contour was lighter too. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 21st, 2019 at 02:47 AM.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hideous gas appetite in the city. Kinda high rpm at idle. It sits happily at 1k rpm idling. Below that, it simply shakes.

Car shines on highways cruising. Went up baguio and mt samat. 5 pax with luggage, no issues naman. 3k rpm and up on steep slopes, 2k rpm is too slow.

Religiously change cvtf every 40k kms.

You replace cvt if it fails. No repair here. No parts even, i heard cvt units cost above 300k in casa. No idea if true

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    My 2016 FXT has a CVT and it has served me well. It had its first CVTF change around 36k km earlier this year. It does seem soft on take off but once rolling it can get going in a hurry. In Intelligent mode, it handles well the rpms keeping the engine in a smooth power delivery. On Sport mode, power delivery is more linear and on Sport#, it can get hairy. The engine gets to be rev-happy on Sport and Sport# mode. No issues getting up to speed as the vehicle can easily do 120 mph (200 kmh) if you keep a lead foot on the accelerator. I have seen some WRX (same FA20 engine) lazily doing 90mph on the Alabama and Florida interstates two weeks back in my US Southeast road trip.

My other ride also has a CVT, a Mitsubishi ASX. The tuning of the CVT is not as intelligent as the one on my FXT. You have to rev it up a bit to get going in a hurry (understandable as it has an NA engine) but it will not struggle passing the usual PPVs or smaller compacts/subcompacts on the expressways. The platform does not offer as much mechanical grip as the FXT and the stock tires (Yokohama ASPEC) are just so-so. It is more fuel efficient though than the FXT.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Slushbox is the future!

Galing na ng mga new A/Ts, they shift almost as fast as dual clutch and with 10 speeds they're just as economical as CVTs. Torque converter also makes them much smoother to drive in traffic.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Slushbox is the future!

Galing na ng mga new A/Ts, they shift almost as fast as dual clutch and with 10 speeds they're just as economical as CVTs. Torque converter also makes them much smoother to drive in traffic.

electric is the future single-speed gearbox. possibly 2-speed for certain niche applications

electric so fun to ride. you get all the torque at zero RPM. no need to shift gears. super simple 1-speed transmission

9. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    electric is the future single-speed gearbox. possibly 2-speed for certain niche applications

electric so fun to ride. you get all the torque at zero RPM. no need to shift gears. super simple 1-speed transmission
    I can attest to this when I drove my brother in law's Tesla Model 3 back in the States. When you step on the accelerator, Nirvana follows

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    I can attest to this when I drove my brother in law's Tesla Model 3 back in the States. When you step on the accelerator, Nirvana follows
    Instant acceleration and the best of all, no noise. I was doing 75mph on the interstate with an Armada 5.6L V8 when I saw this Tesla from behind and moments later it was on my left passing me like a hot knife thru butter. It was a Model S P85.

Even on stop lights, Tesla cars accelerate rapidly to 35-45 mph. You can see a lot of Tesla cars in the parking lots of the more famous tech companies - Facebook, Google, Apple, Instagram, YouTube, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk