New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: which would be a better restoration project???

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • '62 vw karmann ghia

15 44.12%
  • '69 austin mini cooper

19 55.88%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jlo1 View Post
    thanks for all the inputs.
    was able to see the karmann again this afternoon, had a chance to drive it...not bad for a 44 year old car. learned that the engine was replaced with a 1600 vw engine, still air cooled. by the way, everything is original except for the front seats, the engine, and of course the paint.
    i was also able to set up a sched. for a test drive with the mini either saturday or sunday. hopefully, after this test drive, i would be able to decide. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that either 1 would still be available when i make up my mind.
    pls. keep all the suggestions and advices coming...
    so is it a real cooper?

also, check out the thread looks vs. performance. where you stand will influence your decision

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by midinite View Post
    can someone explain the historical significance of the karmann ghia?
    this OT pero if tama ang hearsay nuon, the designer of karmann ghia was the same one as the porshe (the first one) so that's why they have very similar styling....I just don't remember which one came out first.

it is like a poorman's porshe....but then again the fact that it is 44 years old and it is still running....it is already an achievement...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    this OT pero if tama ang hearsay nuon, the designer of karmann ghia was the same one as the porshe (the first one) so that's why they have very similar styling....I just don't remember which one came out first.

it is like a poorman's porshe....but then again the fact that it is 44 years old and it is still running....it is already an achievement...
    so which of the two is a design icon? diba may re-issue and mini...even movie remakes to attest to it? just like mustang and others have done the retro look. You could say that is something going for the mini. cant say the same for the karmann.

also, is the karmann in question a car that is what they classify as a survivor? like it has been maintained and kept running for the past 44 years or was it the subject of a restoration that brought it back to life. from a collectors point of view those are two drastically different things. also to see a 44 year old running car here is no great achievement. in fact, i am afraid that there are things that were done to it to compromise its integrity. like a vintage rolex my friend got na seiko ang loob. or a triumph bonneville another got and honda pala ang pistons. the beauty of pinoy ingenuity

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    midnite, i guess its just an austin mini. will try to check it out over the weekend.
    wildthing, i heard that story too. i'll check the net to verify.

it has been rumored that the karmann might be produced again, just like the beetle, mini, mustang, thunderbird, etc.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jlo1 View Post

it has been rumored that the karmann might be produced again, just like the beetle, mini, mustang, thunderbird, etc.
    is that rumour on the net? or word of mouth? any links?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    RE: Compromise:

The Karmann Ghia is known more for its beauty than its performance. I'm of the mod-res school of thought... Keep the looks, but modify it if you have to, to make it reliable, safe and comfortable.

Same thing with the Mini. The Mini is known for its go-kart handling, not super-reliable internals, so many Mini owners, pragmatically change the accessories for Japanese ones, just to make sure the famous British electricals don't break down or catch fire on the road...

If you're worried about the value of the vehicle as a collectible, then maybe a modified car isn't for you, but if you're buying it to enjoy it, by all means, get the modified car.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    for city driving the mini would be ok but on two lane highways the karmann will get my vote.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    with regards to the rumor on the reincarnation of the karmann, as far as i remember, i read it in one of C! magazine's past issues. i guess it's still on it's conceptualization stage.
    i agree with nicky with regards to keeping the look of the car, but decently modifying it to achieve reliability, safety, and comfort. imho, a decent modification would be using same brand parts.
    i'm still looking forward to test driving the mini this weekend.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    austin mini cooper po!
    I love the cars in the movie "The Italian Job"

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I'll vote for the Mini Cooper- lots of fun to drive pero parang gusto ko ring masubukan ang VW.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Austin Mini Cooper or VW Karmann Ghia?