New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Curious lang, between the Civic and Mz3, why do you see the Civic as more reliable?

The FD had aircon and clutch issues, while the 1st and 2nd gen Mz3 had none. The FB is also Thai-built, while the new Mz3 is CBU Japan.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App
    The impression that Mazda made on me in the 90s stuck. We were choosing between the AE101 and Mazda 323 sedan back then. I don't see much of those Mazda's anymore and getting the AE101 was a good decision! I still see a lot of EKs on the road.

In 2010, I was choosing between the FD and Gen 10. I had more positive feedback with the FD. I was hesitant with the 10th gen corolla because of the sludge issue.

It's usually Toyota vs Honda in my choice of vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    after several weeks of use, can you give us a real-world idea of the new altis's fuel efficiency?
    I've been using my Altis for 3 months now But I don't think my car would be a good gauge. I don't pass traffic but I idle a lot (20 mins or so daily). This is what I am getting:

Last edited by _Cathy_; May 1st, 2014 at 09:31 PM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet23 View Post
    I test driven the Mazda 3 in both flavors (2.0R and 1.5V) comparing it to my 2014 Altis 1.6V, the Engine output on the 1.5 is similar to the previous Gen 10.5 Altis 1.6V 4 A/T with a better Transmission. there are still those areas in the 1.5 3 where the acceleration is sluggish even if the transmission is trying hard to play with the 6 gears. The Altis on the other hand has carried over the engine of the previous gen but the improvement on how power is delivered is just amazing to the point that it feels like an entirely different machine compared to the gen 10.5. It just moves with poise and confidence everytime you step on the pedal and yes it is responsive and feels very light to drive.

for the ride comfort, The Altis has a softer ride much like a Camry, The Mazda 3 is a bit firm but I find it more comfortable in the 3. The Altis tends to bounce a bit while the 3 is composed even with the 18 inch shoes. it handles road imperfections really well. the Mazda 3 IMO trumps the altis on Interior, equipment and build quality. and of course it handles very well. The engine note of both engines are both music to the ears

Altis 1.6V vs.Mazda 3 1.5R
    IMO direct car to car comparison, I will still choose the Altis 1.6V. but given the factors like it is a lower sticker price, CBU Japan, Yojin 3, a lot of soul in the car and the feeling that it was intensively engineered from ground up. i might have chosen the Mazda 3. A 1.5R M/T WOULD BE NICE!!

for the 2.0 Mazda, there is no doubt. i will buy it in a heartbeat more than any car in the competition
    I'm curious, did you buy your Altis 1.6V before the Mazda 3 came out or after?

And you said you will still choose Altis 1.6V over the Mazda 3 despite your opinion that the Mazda3 is more comfortable, better interior, equipment, build quality and cheaper. So does that mean that the engine performance of the Altis 1.6V is so great, that it outweighs all the positives of the Mazda 3 you mentioned?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by barracudaxxx View Post
    I'm curious, did you buy your Altis 1.6V before the Mazda 3 came out or after?

And you said you will still choose Altis 1.6V over the Mazda 3 despite your opinion that the Mazda3 is more comfortable, better interior, equipment, build quality and cheaper. So does that mean that the engine performance of the Altis 1.6V is so great, that it outweighs all the positives of the Mazda 3 you mentioned?
    The 1.6V Altis was bought last february. Yes as i have said, if i were to choose between the two, Altis 1.6V and the 1.5 Mazda 3 that is, on a direct car to car comparison, i will choose the Altis 1.6V. It might have fewer toys and not much clever technologies compared to the 1.5 Mazda, but i find the altis the more practical car. The amount of interior space you will get on the altis dwarfs the Mazda 3 as if it is one class ahead of the mazda. Something that you will never buy on the mazda 3. I find the City more spacious than the Mazda 3. The rear seats feels cramped. Not much space compared to the subcompacts. Trunk space is also better on the Altis considering the mazda has a donut spare tire to increase the space while Altis has full size rims. The space, the responsiveness of propelling the Altis with the new CVT and the good fuel economy are my deciding factor on choosing the Altis. Again that is for 1.5 3 and 1.6 altis.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    The 1.6V Altis was bought last february. Yes as i have said, if i were to choose between the two, Altis 1.6V and the 1.5 Mazda 3 that is, on a direct car to car comparison, i will choose the Altis 1.6V. It might have fewer toys and not much clever technologies compared to the 1.5 Mazda, but i find the altis the more practical car. The amount of interior space you will get on the altis dwarfs the Mazda 3 as if it is one class ahead of the mazda. Something that you will never buy on the mazda 3. I find the City more spacious than the Mazda 3. The rear seats feels cramped. Not much space compared to the subcompacts. Trunk space is also better on the Altis considering the mazda has a donut spare tire to increase the space while Altis has full size rims. The space, the responsiveness of propelling the Altis with the new CVT and the good fuel economy are my deciding factor on choosing the Altis. Again that is for 1.5 3 and 1.6 altis.
    I see. As of now space is not important to me since i'm not married... just need comfortable front seats for me and my special passenger

If you were to rate the engine responsiveness/acceleration of both the Altis 1.6v and the Mazda 3 1.5 on the scale of 1 to 10... how would you rate it?

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I see. As of now space is not important to me since i'm not married... just need comfortable front seats for me and my special passenger

If you were to rate the engine responsiveness/acceleration of both the Altis 1.6v and the Mazda 3 1.5 on the scale of 1 to 10... how would you rate it?
    Altis CVT feels very responsive from the get-go. Lots of low end torque too.

Mazda 3 feels more labored and seems to need higher revs for spirited driving. But it's an eager engine with a much better exhaust note.

However, if you time them 0-100 there would probably be less than half a second between the two, in favor of the Altis.

6. Join Date
    May 2014
    I think its the other way around.

2014 Mazda 3 1.5 V
    0-100 km/h = 10.8 seconds and a top speed of 182 km/h

2014 Toyota Altis 1.6 V
    0-100 km/h = 11.1 seconds and a top speed 185 km/h

And for the top variants

2014 Mazda 3 2.0 S
    0-100 km/h = 8.3 seconds and top speed of 214 km/h

2014 Toyota Altis 2.0 V
    0-100 km/h = 9.2 seconds and top speed of 195 km/h

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthWorm View Post
    I think its the other way around.

2014 Mazda 3 1.5 V
    0-100 km/h = 10.8 seconds and a top speed of 182 km/h

2014 Toyota Altis 1.6 V
    0-100 km/h = 11.1 seconds and a top speed 185 km/h

And for the top variants

2014 Mazda 3 2.0 S
    0-100 km/h = 8.3 seconds and top speed of 214 km/h

2014 Toyota Altis 2.0 V
    0-100 km/h = 9.2 seconds and top speed of 195 km/h
    Where'd you get that number for the 1.5? The FD Civic does about 10.5 and I tell you, the Mazda doesn't even come close to the acceleration of the FD.

From what I've read, it does about 11.8s, which matches the seat in the pants feel when I drove the car, as well as the videos on YouTube.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2008

Go for the Mazda 3 then hmm. Its hard to give a rating on a car i dont drive on a daily basis. I will just share my experience. The Altis is surprisingly responsive. Honestly I did not expect it when i bought it. I have driven the previous gen 1.6 A/T but the CVT is much much better. From stand still it will cruise to around 40 to 50 kph at a constant pace effortlessly even when you accelerate with controlled revs below 2000 RPM. The CVT plays with the ratios well it feels like the car is very light everytime you step on the pedal. Also when you suddenly push the pedal for example in overtaking, it did not inherit the traditional CVT rubber band feel. Instead it adjusts the ratio in a fast manner as if it drops a gear.

On the Mazda, while the engine is ample, there are those times you can notice that the engine is drowning and trying to catch up upon acceleration. Thankfully the transmission immediately drops a gear for you.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Go for the Mazda 3 then hmm. Its hard to give a rating on a car i dont drive on a daily basis. I will just share my experience. The Altis is surprisingly responsive. Honestly I did not expect it when i bought it. I have driven the previous gen 1.6 A/T but the CVT is much much better. From stand still it will cruise to around 40 to 50 kph at a constant pace effortlessly even when you accelerate with controlled revs below 2000 RPM. The CVT plays with the ratios well it feels like the car is very light everytime you step on the pedal. Also when you suddenly push the pedal for example in overtaking, it did not inherit the traditional CVT rubber band feel. Instead it adjusts the ratio in a fast manner as if it drops a gear.

On the Mazda, while the engine is ample, there are those times you can notice that the engine is drowning and trying to catch up upon acceleration. Thankfully the transmission immediately drops a gear for you.
    I guess the next best thing for me to do is do a test drive of both cars... wla pa kse akong time kaya for the mean time internet muna research. hahaha.

By the way ratchet23 thanks for your input, you have been helpful.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345