New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Sir's,

Would like to know your insights and recommendation as to which of these Vans / AUV's offer better value for your money. Maybe you would ask as to why it should be Gas fed? Of course Id gladly take the diesels economy as well as durability, but I guess given its age they are already prone to ASBU's and maintenance stress such as frequent exhaust cleaning or calibration concerns.

Right now, I have this old Gas fed FX and it has served my family well. Before I'm planning to get the first gen Pajero, but economy wise (higher cost of wheels, consumes more oil, etc), plus the concerns of the old diesels as stated above, I just decided to get a newer gas fed vehicle instead.

Here are the list of what I expect for my new (old ) vehicle:
    1. Durability
    2. Economy
    3. Parts availability
    4. Ease in maintenance
    5. Within 250k budget only

Would greatly appreciate your actual experience (if you have) between the three or if there are more car suggestions.

Thank you for your inputs

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My friends with 1.8L gas Revo's often complain about the gas consumption. so much so that they prefer not to use it as a daily driver anymore. Some of them have either bought a motorcycle for short trips, preferred to just commute in most days, or simply upgraded to another car.

We have a Revo diesel, and despite being 13 years old, it has never been flagged down by an ASBU, nor has it ever failed an emission test. Through the years I've replaced the injector nozzles (P450 each, IIRC), and had it recalibrated at around 85tkms (107tkms now) when I started seeing black smoke beyond 2000rpm. Right now, no black smoke even when running top speed at 145km/h, or when climbing Kennon Road. I only see black smoke when doing redline shifting (black smoke starts at around 3500rpm), and only on the 1st and 2nd gears.

Among your choices, I'd go for the Revo, still. It's more spacious than the Adventure (though the gas Adventure has more power), and is safer and more comfortable than the L300 (no hood, engine cooking you under your seat).

I'd really suggest you go for the diesel. It's all in the maintenance, and old school diesel maintenance cost is almost level with gasoline engines.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Thank you for sharing your insights Sir GTi! Pardon on the persistence, given as you've mentioned that the adventure gas is more powerful than the Revo, does that mean the adventure is also more thirsty? Your suggestion on the diesel Revo is really convincing! But given my max budget of 250k only do you think I can find a good condition Revo?

Thank you very much Sir GTi!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    Thank you for sharing your insights Sir GTi! Pardon on the persistence, given as you've mentioned that the adventure gas is more powerful than the Revo, does that mean the adventure is also more thirsty? Your suggestion on the diesel Revo is really convincing! But given my max budget of 250k only do you think I can find a good condition Revo?

Thank you very much Sir GTi!
    Given that the Adventure uses a 114bhp 2.0L engine compared to the Revo's either 94bhp 1.8 or a 105bhp 2.0, all things being equal, it can potentially be thirstier especially in city driving. The only time it may become more fuel efficient than the Revo is when the Revo is subjected to work that will render it somewhat underpowered like high speed driving and mountain climbing.

You will be able to find a decent diesel Revo for 250k, haggling skills come to play here. You will be able to find an even newer Adventure diesel for your money, since it has lower resale value than the Revo. It's your choice.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Sir GTi,

Thank you for your very informative comments / suggestions! As one of our members say here... "Wala ka talagang sawang nagbigay ng tulong sa pamamagitan ng opinyon at suhestiyon"!

More power to you and Tsikot!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Sir GTi,

Thank you for your very informative comments / suggestions! As one of our members say here... "Wala ka talagang sawang nagbigay ng tulong sa pamamagitan ng opinyon at suhestiyon"!

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Sir GTi,

Well I suppose that's why we're here. I do hope my opinions and suggestions can help you in finding the right car for you. How's your hunt going?

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Well I suppose that's why we're here. I do hope my opinions and suggestions can help you in finding the right car for you. How's your hunt going?

Sir GTi,
    Pardon on a new inquiry. I came across a mazda mpv in one of the buy&sell sites, though quite older than the advie and rev, it seems it offers better refinement, comfort and style. Do you think owning this type wont give me headaches? Assuming its in an acceptable condition does parts easy to find? How about maintenance, is it durable as compared to the advie and revo? If you were in my position as of the present, would you consider owning the mpv?
    Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but i guess your professional recos are exceptional! Thanks again Sir!
    Last edited by jvnj; March 19th, 2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: clerical error

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I suggest a Revo VX200.

2003 Toyota Revo Vx200 - Manual Transmission - Secondhand For Sale Philippines - 38122853

Revo Vx200 - Secondhand For Sale Philippines - 37073364

Vehicles of this class and fuel type, are not very much sought after. So probably you could use the fact to make 'barat'.

280K asking nito. Maybe you could pull the price to your budget. But then, it is much better if you have extra cash for some unforeseen or undeclared 'needed to be fixed' stuffs of the car.
    Last edited by basti08; March 19th, 2014 at 08:12 PM.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Sir GTi,
    Pardon on a new inquiry. I came across a mazda mpv in one of the buy&sell sites, though quite older than the advie and rev, it seems it offers better refinement, comfort and style. Do you think owning this type wont give me headaches? Assuming its in an acceptable condition does parts easy to find? How about maintenance, is it durable as compared to the advie and revo? If you were in my position as of the present, would you consider owning the mpv?
    Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but i guess your professional recos are exceptional! Thanks again Sir!
    The Mazda MPV is a good car. The biggest downsides, I suppose, are that it is old and parts are not as widespread as your other choices. Nevertheless, it uses the same engine as the 1st gen Ranger/Everest and the B-series pickup, so you're good in the engine department. As long as you can find a local unit that wasn't too abused and which you can find no fault out of, you should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast