New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shelu View Post
    napatawa ako dito ah.. meron kang nalimutan, yong adidas squire, 142 pesos yon. tapos ang rom, 210 yata. basta alala ko, mahigit 300 ang stan smith. sikat kana nyan pag stan smith ang suot... ang kotse ko noon, minica. kukunti palang may kotse noong araw. lol
    kung yung blue stripes on white ay rom ay panlalake, yung pang-babae na red stripes on white ay...? i keep forgetting...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    generally, an EFI engine is more fuel-efficient than a carbed engine.
    efi adjustments also last much longer than carb...
    but once the efi starts acting up, it can be a bigger pain in the head as well as in the wallet, to fix.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    generally, an EFI engine is more fuel-efficient than a carbed engine.
    efi adjustments also last much longer than carb...
    but once the efi starts acting up, it can be a bigger pain in the head as well as in the wallet, to fix.
    this is what i'm afraid of ... when my uncle's bigbody 2e engine acted strange, vibration on 2nd gear, slow accelerations, and overheated ...

All it took was a top overhaul, new cylinder gasket, new valve seal, grinding of the valves ... and everything was in top condition, engines runs silent but accelerations is very good, vibrations and knocking was also gone ...

Top Overhaul + Grinding : P3,000
    Overhaul Gasket Kit: P1,500
    New Oil, Oil Filter, Coolant, Radiator Overhaul, etc ...

All in all, all he spent was less than P8,000 and the engine is back in top condition ...

What are the instances of EFI failures ??? More or less, will it be very expensive ?? Will it also be a recurring event ?? Because I'd rather spend a little more on fuel in carburetor setup than spend a lot of money for EFI repairs ..

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the headaches with efi are usually due to the un-trained condition of the mechanic.
    he might resort to the "let's try this first, then try that.." method.
    and if he is not so lucky (because he simply does not know what to do), it'll take a lot of hit-and-miss efforts to finally nail down the culprit. just surf in the threads here.. maraming owner at mekanikong ganyan..
    and, unlike mechanical components, electronic parts are sometimes unbelievably expensive..
    sumakit na ulo ninyo.. lumaki pa gastos..

but once fixed right, efis last long.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Yung 18 yr old GLi ko naibiyahe pa ng buyer sa La Union.
    Our 1994 Galant VR, before we sold it in 2012 it could be driven up to Baguio any time with no worries. It only needed EFI related repairs at one point (replace the air actuator control, clean the intake manifold and replace high tension wires with brand new - all OEM parts) and it was good until the day we sold it.

I don't get the all-out worry of the TS on EFI engines (it's not like you're buying a worrysome all-out electronic Euroxotic). The overhaul on a 2E engine will just be the same kind of work done on the 4AFE and per my experience, the 2Es are really prone to blow-by more than the 4AFE.
    Last edited by vinj; April 11th, 2015 at 10:45 AM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Our 1994 Galant VR, before we sold it in 2012 it could be driven up to Baguio any time with no worries. It only needed EFI related repairs at one point (replace the air actuator control, clean the intake manifold and replace high tension wires with brand new - all OEM parts) and it was good until the day we sold it.

I don't get the all-out worry of the TS on EFI engines (it's not like you're buying a worrysome all-out electronic Euroxotic). The overhaul on a 2E engine will just be the same kind of work done on the 4AFE and per my experience, the 2Es are really prone to blow-by more than the 4AFE.
    i believe it's the universal fear of the unknown..
    we grew up with carbs, which we can overhaul in our minds before going to sleep at night....
    the next day, we are faced with a malfunctioning efi... and we have no idea where to start..
    ...afraid!!

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    I have a 1994 Corolla Gli that was originally my dads car.its in the family right from the start.has a 476,000+ mileage.Just replace a new fuel pump,ignition coil IIA,and a spare injector(sa mga suking surplusan).The rest is noticable nman bago masira.Wag lang papakialaman ang electronics ng auto(sensors,bypass,rekta etc).Walang magiging problema.kse may proper way naman in diagnosing kung may sira or lumabas na c check engine sa instrument panel.Or kung gusto mo mas matipid,change engine.4EFE para sa pang opisina,4EFTE para may pang sports pa...

8. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Efi mas okay. May diagnostic port, hindi mo na kailangan manghula hula if you know how to diganose. As one forumer mentioned, pretty straightforward to diagnose and repair.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    The big body is indestructible ... if you maintain it well

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by saksidriver View Post
    Efi mas okay. May diagnostic port, hindi mo na kailangan manghula hula if you know how to diganose. As one forumer mentioned, pretty straightforward to diagnose and repair.
    there is a problem, sir.
    most backyards, front yards, and home garages do not have the gadget that connects to the diagnostic port.
    many "mechanics" do not even know what a diagnostic port is!

and this same fear of the unknown.. going to that hi-tech garage for repair is out of the question! "..mahal doon! at baka lokohin lang ako..! kay mang kepweng na lang.. kababata siya ni itay.. hindi ako lolokohin niyon.."
    Last edited by dr. d; April 11th, 2015 at 12:07 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast