New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gwapster View Post
    Looks like the TS has his mind set on the Altis from the start, and none of the suggestions here can sway that towards the alternatives. Its human nature, if you really like something your mind looks at the other options but your heart has already decided. Its a clear sign that the Altis is "the one" for you, so go grab it.

The Altis is a good choice anyway. Congrats!
    Yeah I've been pretty set with the Altis from the get-go. But I appreciate the ideas thrown in since it helps me strengthen my conviction on getting the car. 2 cars I didn't pay attention to before - the Civic 1.8S and Elantra 1.6S, will now be getting second looks to see if it'll be worth the extra 100k over the Altis.

Might delay the purchase a bit until I get to test drive these 2 alternatives. Might even throw in another test drive of the Mz3 1.5 just to give it another shot. But right now the Altis still feels like the best match for me.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    With the requirements you have laid out, i think the altis 1.6MT is the perfect choice at that price range. If you are willing to shell out a little bit more and prefer manual, i would suggest you consider the volkswagen jetta which i think is around 1.1M (not sure but you can check best price with discount) The car is big, has good torque and commands respect on the road.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Like the Accent's motor but not the chassis it comes with? Hmm, how about the crdi Kia Soul then? Just to add to your alternatives.

Drove my friend's 06 Civic FD 2.0s and 14 Altis 1.6V, was more comfortable with the Altis (obviously) but I would still rather drive the Civic. If the FB is at least close to that, then I'd advocate that. Plus you wouldn't be just another Altis on the road. No offense to Altis owners though, there's a good reason why they're so many.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ruelle41 View Post
    Like the Accent's motor but not the chassis it comes with? Hmm, how about the crdi Kia Soul then? Just to add to your alternatives.

Drove my friend's 06 Civic FD 2.0s and 14 Altis 1.6V, was more comfortable with the Altis (obviously) but I would still rather drive the Civic. If the FB is at least close to that, then I'd advocate that. Plus you wouldn't be just another Altis on the road. No offense to Altis owners though, there's a good reason why they're so many.
    The FB is more like the old Altis than the Altis is. Soft. No steering feel. Lots of body roll.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The FB is more like the old Altis than the Altis is. Soft. No steering feel. Lots of body roll.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009

Seems there are just as many Civic FBs on the road as there are current-gen Altis, at least where i usually go.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Bihira ako makakita ng civic fb dito sa pasig ortigas area. Yung altis ang marami.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    That's a shame. I loved the FD's steering - made the car feel much smaller and lighter than it really was.

Last night, I parked next to a facelifted FB and stared long and hard to see if it'll captivate me. Unfortunately, the longer I looked at it, the more it looked like a City. Better looking than the City, but with lots of awkward angles especially from the rear. The interior is still beautiful though.

I'd pick the Accent over the Soul, the latter just looks outright weird for me, with no sense of class whatsoever.

I agree that the Altis is more ubiquitous than other compacts (it's the best seller in its class after all), but standing out isn't too difficult with a few mods since most keep their Altises stock.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdude View Post
    With the requirements you have laid out, i think the altis 1.6MT is the perfect choice at that price range. If you are willing to shell out a little bit more and prefer manual, i would suggest you consider the volkswagen jetta which i think is around 1.1M (not sure but you can check best price with discount) The car is big, has good torque and commands respect on the road.
    I'm a fan of the Jetta too - very torquey engine and nice transmission, plus solid handling. What I didn't like was its bare interior and exterior that didn't feel like a million pesos. At that price range, the Mazda 3 2.0 is a much better choice for me.
    Last edited by jut703; May 5th, 2015 at 10:12 AM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Btw, has anyone driven a Peugeot 301? This will turn heads, and has enough French quirkiness to be different from the crowd. However, I havent driven one yet so I have no opinion on how it drives. It is quite new locally.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gwapster View Post
    Btw, has anyone driven a Peugeot 301? This will turn heads, and has enough French quirkiness to be different from the crowd. However, I havent driven one yet so I have no opinion on how it drives. It is quite new locally.
    its a budget subcompact. grossly overpriced.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    its a budget subcompact. grossly overpriced.
    I was expecting the "overpriced" part, Euro import kasi. I feel the same for the Volkswagens here. Very bare yung mga sub 1M na VW dito, they look much cheaper than the japanese competition.

However, i see the dilemma the importer faced here. Either they put generous standard equipment and raise the price further up, OR strip it down to be able to keep the price close to the Asian competition. Obviously they chose the second option. At the end of the day, its for the most part due to the tax overhead that goes to the frickin Customs.

But again, i havent driven any of those budget Euro subcompacts yet, maybe they have their sort of charm in some ways.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast