New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gwapster View Post
    Wonder why the Mazda 3 isnt getting much recommendations here. It is actually the one that gets my vote, and certainly fits all the criteria of the TS. In the case of the mz3, i actually prefer the hatchback to the sedan.
    3 main things:

1. The 1.5 Skyactiv is disappointing. It even feels less peppier than my Vios 1.3, because most of its power comes from the upper rev range. Even if it weighs just as much as the other compacts, it felt heavier when I drove it compared to the others.

2. The Mz3 seemed to have been designed solely with the 2.0R in mind, while the 1.5V was only an afterthought. The 1.5 just doesn't have the same appeal as the 2.0. Most annoying for me is the digital tachometer. This is very subjective, but all car purchases are.

3. No manual transmission. As I said, the 1.5 isn't a very powerful engine, and the least they could've done was give it a manual.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I see your point there. I have only tried the 2.0 Mz3.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, considering outright speed isn't too much of a criteria... then try giving the Mazda3 another look.

On-paper, the power isn't all there... but the 1.5 is just as quick (or as slow) as the Altis 1.6 CVT... and most of the difference to the manual versions is in off-the-line acceleration... because small-engined autos can't be torque-braked successfully.

-

If you're talking about in-gear responsiveness and the actual gear-changes themselves, the Mazda3 1.5 is actually pretty snappy... and in traffic, I like the response better than the Mazda3 2.0... where the 1.5 feels more eager and snappier.

If you didn't like it, I can only assume your test drive was around the block? First gear is nothing to write home about, but once traffic is moving, it's good enough.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2014
    How about a 1.6 Lancer GLX MT

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Well, considering outright speed isn't too much of a criteria... then try giving the Mazda3 another look.

On-paper, the power isn't all there... but the 1.5 is just as quick (or as slow) as the Altis 1.6 CVT... and most of the difference to the manual versions is in off-the-line acceleration... because small-engined autos can't be torque-braked successfully.

-

If you're talking about in-gear responsiveness and the actual gear-changes themselves, the Mazda3 1.5 is actually pretty snappy... and in traffic, I like the response better than the Mazda3 2.0... where the 1.5 feels more eager and snappier.

If you didn't like it, I can only assume your test drive was around the block? First gear is nothing to write home about, but once traffic is moving, it's good enough.
    The Mz3 1.5 still has a very ugly digital tach, and still looks very shortchanged compared to the 2.0. It's a subjective choice, but no way I'd consider an Mz3 that isn't the 2.0.

But even objectively - the Altis is 100k cheaper than the Mz3. The Mz3 1.5 just doesn't spark anything inside me to shell out the extra cash.

The Civic FB 1.8S MT interests me more (as long as it drives as nicely as the FD), although probably not enough to pay an additional 100k, actually more since I have to change rims and add fogs.

100k can already get me a new full-frame SLR and 3 lenses, or enough performance mods for the Altis to match the FB, or a nice vacation abroad, and so on.

All suggestions so far seem to ignore that the Altis G is much cheaper than the rest of the compacts. Only the Sylphy and Lancer GLX are priced similarly, but I don't like either, and resale value of these 2 is nowhere as good.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    The Mz3 1.5 still has a very ugly digital tach, and still looks very shortchanged compared to the 2.0. It's a subjective choice, but no way I'd consider an Mz3 that isn't the 2.0.

But even objectively - the Altis is 100k cheaper than the Mz3. The Mz3 1.5 just doesn't spark anything inside me to shell out the extra cash.

The Civic FB 1.8S MT interests me more (as long as it drives as nicely as the FD), although probably not enough to pay an additional 100k, actually more since I have to change rims and add fogs.

100k can already get me a new full-frame SLR and 3 lenses, or enough performance mods for the Altis to match the FB, or a nice vacation abroad, and so on.

All suggestions so far seem to ignore that the Altis G is much cheaper than the rest of the compacts. Only the Sylphy and Lancer GLX are priced similarly, but I don't like either, and resale value of these 2 is nowhere as good.
    Lancer GLX AT is now only P750k.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

7. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    I guess it's the 1.6G Altis then. But then, I suggest take a 2nd look at the Hyundai Accent CRDi. Take it to a long drive and see how it feels. The interior can be modified to look a bit upscale, just get leather seats and presto. Also, I don't think it's a med rep car anymore, haven't seen med reps in the Accent HB.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Looks like the TS has his mind set on the Altis from the start, and none of the suggestions here can sway that towards the alternatives. Its human nature, if you really like something your mind looks at the other options but your heart has already decided. Its a clear sign that the Altis is "the one" for you, so go grab it.

The Altis is a good choice anyway. Congrats!

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ano727 View Post
    Not really keen on cars cheaper than 850k, since the company will be paying for the car. Best deal I have for the Altis right now is 837k so I'll have to find a way to use up the 13k in the form of casa accessories. Sweet spot for pricing is 850-900k as I get to maximize my budget and will only add a little from my own pocket. With the Altis, I won't be shelling out anything at all so I can spend on HID, tint, rims, and maybe black leather seats, while still being cheaper than an Elantra 1.6S or Civic 1.8S or Mz3 1.5V.

Plus, not a fan of the Lancer 1.6. It feels like an afterthought compared to the Lancer GTA, just like the Mz3 1.5. Tiny wheels and different front grille make it look like a second-class citizen compared to the TOTL.

Unlike in cars like the Civic, Altis, and Elantra, where the mid-range variants look respectable enough out of the box, and the TOTL variants just look like upgraded versions with heftier price tags and bigger rims. For the Altis, the 2.0V just looks like a riced-up 1.6G, so I don't feel shortchanged for not going TOTL.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bjreyesmd View Post
    I guess it's the 1.6G Altis then. But then, I suggest take a 2nd look at the Hyundai Accent CRDi. Take it to a long drive and see how it feels. The interior can be modified to look a bit upscale, just get leather seats and presto. Also, I don't think it's a med rep car anymore, haven't seen med reps in the Accent HB.
    Drove the Accent CRDi from La Union to Baguio before. It really pulls like a much bigger car, and has no problem getting up to speed, even when fully laden. My problem with the interior is the material they used on the dash and door mouldings, which feel very cheap and aren't easily replaceable.

I still see quite a number of Accent HBs parked outside hospitals with the usual slew of Vioses and Mirage G4s. And besides, the smaller exterior size makes all subcompacts look cheaper to me than the current crop of compacts. I still don't believe in getting a subcompact if a good compact is in the same price range.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast