New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Kung GT86, BRZ na lang hehehe....

2. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Seems to me only the altis meets your requirements.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Saw a C! comparo the other day where the Corolla 1.6V was 4th the other day in acceleration tests, beating out a Civic 2.0, Elantra 1.6, Sylphy 1.8 but losing to the Mazda3 2.0, Altis 2.0, Focus 2.0.

What is surprising is that the 1.6V's 100-0 braking distance was by far the best among compacts.

That said, if memory serves correctly, none of the compacts had a 0-100 time of less than 10 seconds in the test.

The 1.6 CVT was also one of the most fuel efficient, losing to the Mazda (I guess due to the start/stop feature but will suck your money dry with those expensive batteries) but beating the rest by a large margin.

They also mentioned that for a Corolla, the driving dynamics aren't bad as its brand suggests.

Corolla gets my vote.
    Last edited by mda; May 1st, 2015 at 10:46 AM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

C! magazine.. dec 2014. "battle of the 8 compacts".
    i thought it was a detailed enough comparo article, complete with acceleration figures, braking, comfort, etc etc..
    Thanks doc, I have a copy of that issue as well. The Altis performed really well even against the 2-liter compacts. Take note that it was a CVT featured here. The MT would definitely score better in terms of performance.

imageuploadedbytsikot-forums1430444296.718875.jpg

Acceleration times were taken without a hard launch (i.e. from idle) and with 2 passengers. The Focus is the quickest with its DCT of course. More importantly though, the 1.6 Altis is faster than the Mz3 and Civic 2.0, and just a hair slower than the 2.0. This was my basis for saying that an MT 1.6 can go toe-to-toe with the 2-liter compacts.

imageuploadedbytsikot-forums1430444479.347398.jpg

As expected, the Mz3 and Focus are quickest on a track, but the 1 sec gap isn't so bad, and possiby something you can make up with a stick shift.

imageuploadedbytsikot-forums1430444597.030766.jpg

They didn't provide the info on how the FC was computed, so I'm not very sold on this, but it's promising. The MT might get worse highway mileage, but then again FC isn't a deal-breaker.

imageuploadedbytsikot-forums1430444729.251270.jpg

Perhaps because it's the lightest, the Altis 1.6 outbrakes all other compacts. The V though has 4-wheel disc brakes. The G MT probably won't be as good because of its rear drums, but still decent since it's about 50 kg lighter than the CVT.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post

That said, if memory serves correctly, none of the compacts had a 0-100 time of less than 10 seconds in the test.
    The acceleration times were slow because none were launched hard. They said in the opening paragraph that they just let the cars idle in D, then floored the throttle. That alone adds 1-2 seconds vs launching at 4000 rpm.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    The acceleration times were slow because none were launched hard. They said in the opening paragraph that they just let the cars idle in D, then floored the throttle. That alone adds 1-2 seconds vs launching at 4000 rpm.
    Interesting. Didn't get to read the entire article since I was waiting for my tires/alignment during this time but it makes sense.

Also, seems like the relevant number for me. I'd never launch by dumping the clutch/transmission. My thrills are not worth an early transmission rebuild with how long our cars stay with us (Average current age of our cars = 8 years).

Not considering the 1.6V?

OT: Anyone figure out how to deal with the double posting issue??

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Nah, the V doesn't come with a manual. The biggest reason why I'm considering the Altis is that it's the best performing compact with a manual. The Civic's MT is expensive and bare, while the Sylphy/Cruze/Elantra just don't offer much.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it was much easier in the eighties...
    it was either the box lancer, or the.... box lancer!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

it was much easier in the eighties...
    it was either the box lancer, or the.... box lancer!

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Nah, the V doesn't come with a manual. The biggest reason why I'm considering the Altis is that it's the best performing compact with a manual. The Civic's MT is expensive and bare, while the Sylphy/Cruze/Elantra just don't offer much.
    Probably looks like your choice is made then... Congrats hehehe

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'm just a bit surprised that a Toyota comes out as the best choice for my criteria. But I guess I was prejudging the brand - maybe there's some truth to their waku-doki principle after all.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast