New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    As much as I want to include the new civic, it's already out of my budget.

The hyundai accent crdi looks interesting but seems expensive to maintain in the long run since its diesel. I'm still inclined to get a gas fueled car.

I wonder why there's no love for the Lancer? I just saw black MX while on my way and it's quite a head turner for me.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Altis for me :-O

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by alvinator View Post
    As much as I want to include the new civic, it's already out of my budget.

The hyundai accent crdi looks interesting but seems expensive to maintain in the long run since its diesel. I'm still inclined to get a gas fueled car.

I wonder why there's no love for the Lancer? I just saw black MX while on my way and it's quite a head turner for me.
    My take on the Lancer is that its a good car for single yuppies or settled 50+ y.o. people that have no babies to worry about. Wouldn't recommend it based on your requirements. But then again, its going to be your car. If you could manage the pros and cons about the car, then its all well and good.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hello fellow tsikoteer's

I would like to ask for your recommendations for our very first car. Budget is between 800k-900k. Here's our profile:

1. Newbie driver, I will be fresh out of driving school
    2. Will be a daily drive car (80% city/20% highway) and with occasional weekend road trips.
    3. Usual payload would be 3 adults and a baby while lugging around some stuff like a stroller
    4. My body preferences are: compacts > subcompacts and hatch > sedan
    5. Possibility of selling the car after 5 years

In terms of my needs ranked in order:

1. Reliability/Good after sales
    2. Safety
    3. Space
    4. Fuel Economy
    5. Looks (less ubiquitous models has an advantage)

Currently here's the models that I'm choosing from and will definitely consider for a test drive:

1. 2012 Ford Focus Ambiente 1.6 MT 4dr (P859,000) - I consider the Focus as my first love since Colin Mcrae's days. My worry with this car though is the longevity of its parts as this appears to be the most technically advanced in the bunch. It's also only the MT in the bunch.
    2. 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 EX GLX AT (P855,000) - Seems to be a nice addition to the roster. I like the roomy interior and aggresive look but the trunk capacity could be an issue plus the design is already 4-5 years old and could be refreshed soon.
    3. 2013 Honda City 1.5E AT (P836,000) - I like it because of its paddle shifters and nice interior but I realized that adding a little more could get me a compact car.
    4. 2013 Honda Jazz 1.5E AT (P836,000) - My wife's choice. I like the utility and space it provides. One thing that bothers me is how lowered it is and the looks for me is a bit feminine (that opinion might change though).
    5. 2012 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6G AT(P894,000) - Screams as the safest choice between all five thus the practical side of me added this on my list. Although, It just looks bland and boring to drive. Also Toyota seems to be moving to a more aggresive design soon (see Corolla 2013) which will make the current model look dated.

I need your help to narrow my choices, I'm also open for other suggestions. I don't have any hyundai in the list as I'm afraid of the after sales. Thank very much in advance guys!
    The Lancer is not as suggested in your case since it has a small trunk, and by the looks of it, you lug quite a lot of stuff. Might I suggest you consider the Kia Soul. Very large cargo space with the 1.6L Elantra's engine and tranny, and definitely a guaranteed head turner. Only slightly more expensive at 919k SRP.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Among your choices and your needs, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Altis 1.6 G
    2. Honda Jazz 1.5 V
    3. Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 GLX

Though to be honest, any of the 3 would be good.

As my daily drive is an Altis, here's what I can tell you about it - it's comfortable, it's timeless, but it's not exciting.

Keep in mind though that for a compact, the Altis is one of the smallest in the segment in terms of interior space, along with the Mazda 3 and Focus. What it lacks in seat space though, it more than makes up for it in trunk space. It's got one of the largest trunks in its class, and the best part is that it's not too narrow nor too low. Here's one instance where I found myself amazed at how much the Altis can swallow:

I'm sure that much luggage wouldn't fit in a Lancer, or FD Civic.

I always see people complaining about the Altis' lack of fun when it comes to handling, but these same people barely ever take the car to its limits in twisty mountain roads or race tracks so I don't see the point. As a daily drive, the Altis really does well since it's one of the comfiest cars in its class, and power is adequate whether it be for city or highway driving. Fuel economy is also great for the 1.6. The combination of a good torque curve and a fairly light body makes up for the ancient and slow (but smooth) 4-speed AT.

Moving on to the Jazz, it may be one of the most versatile subcompacts, but rear seat space isn't any larger than the Altis'. It also has stiffer seats which make it less appealing especially when you're out for a long drive or when you're stuck in rush hour traffic. Fuel economy isn't leaps and bounds better than the Altis either. Though performance isn't in your list of priorities, you might be interested in the fact that in city driving at low revs, the Jazz doesn't feel as powerful as the Altis. It does have a lot of top-end grunt though so if you're up for a spirited, high-revving drive, the Jazz would reward you with lots of fun, especially since its handling is commendable.

I haven't driven the 1.6 Lancer so I can't comment on its performance or handling, but it's definitely more spacious than either the Altis or Jazz when we're talking about interior passenger room. Its trunk is sufficiently wide and deep enough, but it's too low so big boxes won't fit. It's the only one among the bunch with an LCD head unit, so that might be something to consider.

Just one comment about the need for space though. I grew up in a family of 3 kids, and we fit pretty well with in a sedan, even on out of town trips. I think people are just overemphasizing space as a requirement for people with young kids. Heck, my aunt has 2 young kids and my grandmother lives with them but they manage just fine with an FD Civic, which has one of the smallest trunks among recent compacts but is able to fit a wheelchair and all the kiddie stuff they need.
    Last edited by jut703; January 18th, 2013 at 10:59 PM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Thank you very much for taking time to help us out. The responses has been mind blowing.

My wife and I went to honda today to check out the jazz and the city in the flesh. While the jazz looks better on the outside, I felt it lacking when it comes to the interior the ULT seats are awesome though.

We liked the city better. It felt roomier and cozier. The dash is ahead of the jazz for me and the trunk is unbelievably deep which makes up for its lack of ULT. By adding leather seats and some modulo body kits, I'll be a happy man.

With your help, we have narrowed down our choices to three:

1. Honda City 1.5E
    2. Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6G
    3. Mitsubishi Lancer EX GLX

We have yet to check out the altis and the lancer. Thank you again guys.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Just curious, any reason why the Elantra 1.6 GL isn't on the list? It's the most spacious among all the sedans in your price range.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Elantra's a very nice car but as I read on the hyundai forums, the after sales is sub par. Do you guys think that we should consider it too regardless of this issue?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Aftersales depends on your dealership. Just read up on which dealerships aren't douchebags and have your PMS done there.

There are horror stories about dealers for EVERY brand. I've experienced a few of them. You just read more about Hyundai right now because there are a zillion Hyundai owners on the forums.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Elantra's a very nice car but as I read on the hyundai forums, the after sales is sub par. Do you guys think that we should consider it too regardless of this issue?
    Yes. After all, you considered the Altis, and it's got quite a few problems too:

- A-pillar rattles
    - Trunk release not working
    - Noisy steering column when turning
    - Parking sensors messing up in the rain

These are some of the things that I've seen on the Altis thread, and unfortunately, I experienced ALL of them. It doesn't make the Altis a bad car though. Each of these vehicles have issues of their own, it's just that some particular groups of people tend to voice out their inconvenience more than others.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast