New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Hello fellow tsikoteer's

I would like to ask for your recommendations for our very first car. Budget is between 800k-900k. Here's our profile:

1. Newbie driver, I will be fresh out of driving school
    2. Will be a daily drive car (80% city/20% highway) and with occasional weekend road trips.
    3. Usual payload would be 3 adults and a baby while lugging around some stuff like a stroller
    4. My body preferences are: compacts > subcompacts and hatch > sedan
    5. Possibility of selling the car after 5 years

In terms of my needs ranked in order:

1. Reliability/Good after sales
    2. Safety
    3. Space
    4. Fuel Economy
    5. Looks (less ubiquitous models has an advantage)

Currently here's the models that I'm choosing from and will definitely consider for a test drive:

1. 2012 Ford Focus Ambiente 1.6 MT 4dr (P859,000) - I consider the Focus as my first love since Colin Mcrae's days. My worry with this car though is the longevity of its parts as this appears to be the most technically advanced in the bunch. It's also only the MT in the bunch.
    2. 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 EX GLX AT (P855,000) - Seems to be a nice addition to the roster. I like the roomy interior and aggresive look but the trunk capacity could be an issue plus the design is already 4-5 years old and could be refreshed soon.
    3. 2013 Honda City 1.5E AT (P836,000) - I like it because of its paddle shifters and nice interior but I realized that adding a little more could get me a compact car.
    4. 2013 Honda Jazz 1.5E AT (P836,000) - My wife's choice. I like the utility and space it provides. One thing that bothers me is how lowered it is and the looks for me is a bit feminine (that opinion might change though).
    5. 2012 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6G AT(P894,000) - Screams as the safest choice between all five thus the practical side of me added this on my list. Although, It just looks bland and boring to drive. Also Toyota seems to be moving to a more aggresive design soon (see Corolla 2013) which will make the current model look dated.

I need your help to narrow my choices, I'm also open for other suggestions. I don't have any hyundai in the list as I'm afraid of the after sales. Thank very much in advance guys!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Jazz, without a doubt.

You got a kid. Daming bitbit nyan. Walang tatalo ang Jazz when it comes to space. the 1.5V has paddle shifters. and priced at 859k. A lot of guys own a Jazz and its the future pocket rocket. The resale value is very high.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    Jazz, without a doubt.

You got a kid. Daming bitbit nyan. Walang tatalo ang Jazz when it comes to space. the 1.5V has paddle shifters. and priced at 859k. A lot of guys own a Jazz and its the future pocket rocket. The resale value is very high.
    Same here. Amongst the choices i'll go for either the Jazz or Altis.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Same here. Amongst the choices i'll go for either the Jazz or Altis.
    x3.

Hard to go wrong with the Jazz. The interior is starting to look outdated, but no sedan or hatchback in this price range yet can beat the flexibility of cargo and passenger capacity that the Jazz has.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Another vote for the Jazz or Altis.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    also jazz

7. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Thank you very much guys, it seems we have reached a consensus early.

I'll read more about the jazz then. The kid in me still wants a Focus though but sigh, it seems to be out of reach at the moment.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    among the choices, ill pick the jazz. but for me i rather get the recently release hyundai accent hatch crdi

9. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    i hate to admit it, but i like the corolla, gusto ko un body color na light green nyan, 2nd pick would be the jazz, un the rest as stock form parang ok lang, himala alang civic?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    I pick the Altis and yes, im biased with Toyota.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast