New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Guy View Post
    Get a 2nd hand Everest -- built tough and safe na safe ka.

I've seen Ford Everest and it seems to be a good choice except that the cheapest I can probably find is more than 500K which is out of my budget.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Good car, but I don't think we'll be able to find the TS one that costs just 400k...
    Sorry, what does TS mean?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    [QUOTE=eljo3025;1736594]Accent na naman? 2nd HAND SUV/AUV ang thread. Ang accent ba ay 2nd hand at AUV ba o SUV?

Fanboy. Sheesh

haha! oo nga naman.

Sa TS,
    You could also consider the Suzuki APV. With your budget of 400k, modelo na mabibili mo. Hindi pa masyado pagawain.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grcr4mms View Post
    What about Mazda MPV 2001 local, diesel, M/T, 7-seater vs. Kia Sedona/Carnival 2001 diesel, M/T, 7-seater? Sorry, this thread should have been "2nd hand SUV/AUV/MPV". I believe the MPV is truck based and the Carnival is car based? I have not seen both actually but in terms of look, I prefer the Carnival. Is the Carnival longer and wider?

The MPV is a good buy. Though parts may be more expensive than its other Jap counterparts, once replaced will be just as reliable. The MPV is based on the Mazda 929 platform in the US, so ride is more car- like, while the engine is the same one used by the 1st gen Ranger and Everest, so parts would not be a problem.

HTH

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Yes indeed, the Carnival is more refined, more comfortable and more powerful than the Starex. I'm not sure if the issue with the Carnival's A/T is blown up out of proportion but I believe its best to stick with M/T to be sure. Besides, A/T Carnivals are known for having poor fuel mileage. As for safety, be rest assured as the Carnival gets 5 star ratings from the US NHTSA. But be sure to get a well maintained unit and have it extensively checked by a skilled mechanic.

Yes, the Matrix is also a good choice. It shares the same engine as the daredevil Accent CRDi cabs which goes without saying that its even faster and thriftier than the Carnival though it is of course less practical due to being only able to seat five people. And yes the lack of safety features may be a turnoff for some (but not for me). The body size is rather queer though, the length is shorter than the average subcompact sedan but the width and height is similar to that of MPVs.
    If I find the Carnival too big and hard to maneuver (too much hassle turning and parking), I'd probably go for the Matrix since I have no problem of it seating only 5 people, and it's as you say thriftier (faster is not an issue for me).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    [quote=dinJ;1739579]
    Quote Originally Posted by eljo3025 View Post
    Accent na naman? 2nd HAND SUV/AUV ang thread. Ang accent ba ay 2nd hand at AUV ba o SUV?

Fanboy. Sheesh

haha! oo nga naman.

Sa TS,
    You could also consider the Suzuki APV. With your budget of 400k, modelo na mabibili mo. Hindi pa masyado pagawain.
    I don't like the APV since 1) I don't like the looks, 2) parang madaling bumaliktad, and 3) I believe vehicles marketed internationally (especially european) over-all have better quality (in terms of safety, durability, etc) than those marketed solely in our country/SEA countries. Same reason I don't like the Avanza.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If I find the Carnival too big and hard to maneuver (too much hassle turning and parking), I'd probably go for the Matrix since I have no problem of it seating only 5 people, and it's as you say thriftier (faster is not an issue for me).
    Well if a five seater is enough for you and also if the lack of safety features like airbags and ABS doesn't concern you (like me), and also if its weird looking shape is fine with you, then take it. It is a thrifty and fast vehicle after all.

I'm against the APV too, the engine is too weak for both the engine's size and the whole car's size. Cmon! 91hp from a 1.6L engine?! And a 1.6L engine in an 8 seater vehicle?! Its completely lacking in both power AND fuel efficiency.

Oh, and TS means thread starter.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Sorry, what does TS mean?
    NP, thread starter bro.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

9. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    If your looking for a 2nd hand AUV/SUV, be very careful when buying, need to do some history check. A lot of vehicles are being flooded during "Ondoy" so you don't know if they are service properly after the incident. in reality "What you buy is what you get".

10. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    While reading on car safety issues, I just came across this 2003 study:
    Are SUVs safer than cars?

http://eetd.lbl.gov/ea/teepa/pdf/TRB_Safety_1-03.pdf

Summary of Findings
    •Average midsize and large cars have same risk to drivers as average
    SUV
    •Safest subcompact and compact cars have same risk to driver as
    average SUV
    •Pickups and SUVs (and minivans) impose high risks on other drivers
    because of their incompatibility with cars
    •Average subcompact and compact cars have similar combined risk
    as average SUV
    •Driver behavior influences what we call risk
    —low risk to drivers of minivans and high risk to drivers of sports
    cars
    •Driver *** and age do not appear to influence our main findings by
    vehicle model
    •However, other driver characteristics or environmental conditions
    (rather than vehicle design) may explain some of our findings
    •Quality of vehicle design appears to be a better predictor of risk than
    vehicle weight
    sa amerika yan, ibahin kasi dito.

dito it's ok to drive suv's sa manila traffic coz kalaban mo mga jeepney, tricycle, taxi, fx. syempre mas masikip dapat mas malaki para mas safe sa banggain kahit close proximity

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
2nd hand SUV/AUV