New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Guys, i know they are 2 different creatures. But im gonna need a bigger car soon and ive just seen these cars for sale (2nd hand)
    Both are manual 4X2.

Fuel Consumption:
    Gas 07 Hyndai Tucson Manual 4x2:
    Diesel 06 Frontier 4X2:

Maintenance:
    Durability (5 Years no head aches)

Hope to hear your advice, have no experience with big cars.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buchieboy View Post
    Guys, i know they are 2 different creatures. But im gonna need a bigger car soon and ive just seen these cars for sale (2nd hand)
    Both are manual 4X2.

Fuel Consumption:
    Gas 07 Hyndai Tucson Manual 4x2:
    Diesel 06 Frontier 4X2:

Maintenance:
    Durability (5 Years no head aches)

Hope to hear your advice, have no experience with big cars.

Thanks!
    CRDi ba yung Tucson? If so, check that it's not blowing smoke. White smoke may indicate that the owner has been filling up at contaminated gas stations...

I'd rather get the Tucson, even if it's gasoline. The old Frontier had a ride that was twice as bad as our Crosswind, and the rear seats were plain torture (the new one is pretty good). It's okay as a work truck, but not much else. (And even then I'd go for a Fuego or a Ranger, instead...)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Th Tucson is th plain gas version

Im just worried about the gas engine of Hyundai...will it be trouble free for 10 years like the toyota's?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buchieboy View Post
    Th Tucson is th plain gas version

Im just worried about the gas engine of Hyundai...will it be trouble free for 10 years like the toyota's?
    Nothing is trouble-free for ten years if it's not maintained properly... not even a Toyota. While the old 4AFEs are fairly robust, I've seen my fair share of blown headgaskets, bent con-rods and such on old Toyotas. A friend is rebuilding his Altis engine at the moment... catastrophic failure.

And all due to poor maintenance. That's the key. Even supposedly "fragile" Mazda engines can last over 200,000 kilometers if properly maintained and supposedly "sturdy" Isuzu or Toyota engines can blow in less than 100,000 if the owner skips oil changes.

It'll all depend on the current condition of the Tucson in question, and how diligent the owner was in terms of maintenance. Of course, there's no assurance that any modern engine will last ten years with no trouble... it's impossible. Simply because all modern engines have a lot of electronics that will eventually fail due to the heat inside the engine bay. These items are usually not so expensive to replace, though.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'll go with the Tucson regardless if it drinks petrol or diesel.

The Frontier's ride just sucks. Period. But I've heard of some tricks employed by its owners to tame its unruly ride (something like inverting a leaf spring, sorry, am not a truck person).

bigbigcar.com Review: Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6G AT

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Heres my opinion based on the usage of the car, assuming both are still in fairly good condition.

what is your purpose for a big car? you need it to carry more passenger? Then Tucson... If the purpose of needing a big car is to carry big and heavy stuff around then Frontier is you choice.

I used to have a frontier pickup, since I have small family it serves me both, I can carry my whole family with it.. plus I can haul big/heavy stuff around and serves as a daily drive car, but you cant have it all (cant do anything with the harsh ride of frontier). If you need to carry more family members comfortably and still can carry some stuff then Tucson is the car you need, as I said you cant have it all (You cant use it to haul like the frontier)

My .02c

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    Heres my opinion based on the usage of the car, assuming both are still in fairly good condition.

what is your purpose for a big car? you need it to carry more passenger? Then Tucson... If the purpose of needing a big car is to carry big and heavy stuff around then Frontier is you choice.

I used to have a frontier pickup, since I have small family it serves me both, I can carry my whole family with it.. plus I can haul big/heavy stuff around and serves as a daily drive car, but you cant have it all (cant do anything with the harsh ride of frontier). If you need to carry more family members comfortably and still can carry some stuff then Tucson is the car you need, as I said you cant have it all (You cant use it to haul like the frontier)

My .02c
    purpose is for a 2nd car..we already have 1 compact car and we wanted to try something bigger... this will be used for daily EDSA travel for the 2 of us. Office-Bahay-outing lang hehe

Ive test drive both units and the ride of the frontier is just bad. super bad..

My only worry now is the durability of teh Tucson, is there any check i need to do?
    can you guys suggest other models?

Thanks!

Will the Tucs

2nd Hand:06 Frontier Titanium 3 or 07 Hyundai Tucson