Hello guys need your advice. initially i have the following in my mind:

99 toyota gli
    98 honda civic
    00-01 nissan sentra

what would be the best buy?

thanks

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    IMHO go for the civic or the corolla, easier to get parts and better "porma".

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Parts aren't that hard for Sentras, in general. Quality replacement parts are available at similar prices to OEM-quality replacement parts for Toyotas (not those ultra-cheap disposable replacements you can get from sidewalk vendors in Banaue).

If you're looking at three specific cars, go test each one. Go for the one that's in the best condition, and that doesn't sound like a rattly tin-can when the engine's on... no strange valve-lifter sounds or timing belt/chain tensioner sounds, no smoke, clean oil, proper use of coolant and not rusty water in the radiator, etcetera.

The Civic's engine tends to be stronger than most, and should sound very smooth. The Sentra's has a timing chain instead of a belt like the Civic's or Corolla's, so if it's maintained well, it should be a bit lower maintenance... but there are MAF sensor issues. The Corolla's engine is all right, but I've seen and heard quite a few 98-99 Corollas and Civics in bad condition, and if you misuse a Corolla, the engine will break. It's not magically stronger than the engines in other cars.

If any of the three cars has a weird misfire, knocking in traffic, or belches blue-white smoke when you rev it (check that the oil level is at or just below the "F" or "H" mark... if it's overfilled, it'll smoke, too)... walk away.

Make sure that the suspension still feels good... doesn't bounce excessively when you rock the car (that means blown shocks... a problem on Sentras and Corollas, not sure about Civics...).

Check for body repair. Rust is a problem on old cars. Civics are a bit more prone to this.

Check for problems with the cooling system, baked hoses, repaired radiators, leaking water pumps... if there's a replacement radiator in the car, make sure it's a plastic radiator top, and not brass... brass radiators are a bit dangerous for engines.

In other words, check everything. Don't buy something just because it's a "Civic" or a "Corolla" and is automatically better.
    Last edited by niky; August 31st, 2007 at 12:10 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the info S' Nicky i'll print this and use it as my guide. Bago lang po kasi ako and im buying my first car, di pa kaya brand new kaya mejo nag iingat kami bumili ng 2nd hand. tomorrow meron kami titignan na mga auto sana ayos makuha namin. tnx po ulit

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    id go for the plenty amenities 2001 nissan sentra exalta STA

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    among your choices, my order of preference will be:

1. sentra
    2. the lovelife corolla

you may also want to include a 99-mitsu-glxi-limited edition among your choices.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    actually i prefer the '01 exalta (manual) pero si misis gusto corolla kasi nga sa naririnig nya na mura i-maintain yung toyota. ano kaya ang mga pros and cons ng bawat model?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The big problem with the Exalta line is electricals. If the car is in good condition, it's okay... but if the previous owner didn't take care of it, you could have problems with the alarm, windows or aircon.

Basically, the simpler the car, the less that can break. A Corolla GLi or a Civic VTi have very little in terms of stock electronics (power windows, radio, that's it) that can degrade over time.

Sentra parts are not that expensive. Look at it this way. You can get Toyota parts for very cheap at local stalls... but you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap replacement parts, they'll break earlier. Been there, done that, regretted it.

If you want to take care of your car, buy the better replacement parts. And for good quality replacements, Toyota parts and Nissan parts don't differ that much in cost.

Again, see which car is in the best condition. It pays to really hunt around for a car in the best condition possible. ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Well said S' Nicky kaya po im trying very hard to get as much knowledge as I can para hindi ako mapa mali sa pag bili namin. And buti na lang meron mga forums na ganito para makatulong sa mga newbie na katulad ko hehehe.

nga po pala with my budget ano po kaya ang kayang bilhin nito? any particular make and model na "bang for the buck" sa budget ko? assuming na ok yung condition ng oto

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    depende nalang sa condition. pero maganda talaga loob ng sentra lalu na ung STA. kung 230k po budget ninyo i suggest max out lang po kau sa 200k then 30k para sa repair. para maging worry free sya gamitin. tapos kung may sobra po sa 30k palit agad mags!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
230K What can I buy?