Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    i think i know why toyota did not include vios/avanza
    they have shitty fuel consumption

from a vios owner

2. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Im impressed with the Cayenne. It gets the same as a Montero or Fortuner despite being considerably bigger.

Then again, its P6m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Did they seal the fuel door? I didnt see it in the articles. Some eco runs have the fuel doors sealed so that only the organizers can fill the fuel.
    You don't cheat by refueling en route.

Especially not when you're in a convoy.

The easiest (and most effective) way to cheat is to simply shake the car during the fill-up so more fuel goes in.

Or, you can pre-prep the car by filling it to the brim, then shaking it, then refilling to the brim at a stop close to the official launch point. That ensures you have at least a few liters margin extra when they do the "official" top up.

This is how cheaters get the 30-40 km/l figures in contests.

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I did 27 km/L with my Vios 1.3 once, but when I reran the test on a longer route it was only 21.26 km/L.
    The only way to be sure, really, is multiple fills.

Like I did in the last Aero-Vios article:

http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/f...g-a36-20160402
    (pimping it!)

If you're only doing single runs, and if you DON'T put the fuel in right away, you get A LOT of questionable fills. Turn the car off before the fill and turn it on again? That fuel rail dumps. Voila, you have an extra two or three liters back in the tank, so the fill comes up short (saw this happen all the time with my Lynx. Saw it at an eco-run with VW). Let the car cool down too much or sit too long or hit too many bumps? The tank burps and you lose a few liters because there's now more space. You MUST do the run, fill right away, then do the next, fill right away, and so on and so forth. Don't brim it, either. Because then air pockets and the evaporator hose make a hash of figures... (when we did economy tests for a tire manufacturer, it took TWO DAYS to fill an Innova completely to the brim... they topped the tank off four or five times and let the fuel settle overnight!)

The most consistent way, really, is to rely on the auto-stop, and to use a slow pump so it won't trigger prematurely.

I've seen the AAP-audited runs. Still very, very questionable, with lots of room for cheating.

To ensure accuracy, I did six runs. After the first run, the economy stabilized, because each fill was "like-to-like"... same car condition, tank condition, temperature, etcetera. Even with the short runs and small loads, the consistency was good enough that I was reasonably sure my results were valid. More valid, at least, than the full-tank to full-tank tests that others do.

As an aside, the stock 1.3 AT in my test got about 18.5 km/l, all highway. But the manual did about 22 km/l, straight 80 km/h running (speed verified by GPS... speedometer claimed 85+)

-

I believe the DOE should do it my way. Do 50 kilometer loops. Five of them. Refill the car after each and every loop. Each car's "witness" must carry a dash cam with GPS speed readout, for proper documentation.

Once the data is collected, throw out the "jokers" (high and low) and average the three middle runs. Or better, go for the median run, instead, so that wildly inaccurate fills don't affect the reading. You can close off two tollgates along the NLEX, two of the lesser used ones, and have guards stationed there so the cars don't have to stop.

Or even better, open up U-Turn loops specifically for the cars. And if you want to make the runs more realistic, shorten the loops. Make the tollgates just ten kilometers apart, so you have more acceleration-deceleration events.

-

My technical fees are very reasonable. DOE, call me.

-

BTW:

Aero-Vios articles, in order:

http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/f...rganic-bodykit
    http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/f...d-work-pay-off
    http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/f...ncy-experiment
    http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/f...tag?ref=feed_1
    Last edited by niky; June 17th, 2016 at 01:27 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    They should rerun the test and change the route.

I suggest Makati CBD to Balintawak via Edsa on a Friday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    [QUOTE=viper888;2735348]They should rerun the test and change the route.

The tests could be full of cheats.

The best method would be to run the engine from an external tank (e.g. a 4 gal water container. Since the cars will be in a convoy, malalaman kung sino ang unang titirik. Ang pinakamalayong malalakbay ay panalo.

Another option: itest ang fc sa up-vrtl, mahal nga lang ang bayad. P25k/car in 2014. However, vrtl refused to give us a 'detailed analysis' regarding the test, kaya, bahala ka sa interpretation mo. Very unscientific!

FYI, the AVL equipment from Austria cost millions, what, no detailed analysis? Sayang pera.
    Last edited by pyramid00; June 19th, 2016 at 11:56 PM. Reason: spelling

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    XT kaya yung Forester?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    XT kaya yung Forester?
    I think not sir

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I still don't believe the FC figure of isuzu pick up.

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by goodtj View Post
    i think i know why toyota did not include vios/avanza
    they have shitty fuel consumption

from a vios owner
    Yup why? Bakit di sinama ang Vios pinaka popular sa masa.

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tsikot Forums mobile app

10. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    The Hyundai Accent diesel did 29 kms/lit, a figure only half that claimed by HARI last year. HARI, what can you say about that now?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast